Build This MoFo!

I am currently building a Mofo to drive an efficient 100db 8ohm speaker. In my estimation, one or two watts RMS should be enough to have comfy or even loud volumes. For now I am building it according to the article with a 12V smps and IRFP250 biased at 1.7A. Does it make sense to look for a smaller mosfet that would bias with a smaller current and a smaller heasink? Any suggestions for parts to try?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
100db 8ohm speaker. {snip} one or two watts RMS should be enough {snip} 12V smps and IRFP250 biased at 1.7A. Does it make sense to look for a smaller mosfet that would bias with a smaller current and a smaller heasink?
2 Watts works out something less than 7V and 1A. A third of the heat. I don't think you need to down-size the FET for such a small shift. I don't know that the energy savings justifies odd power supplies; 12V seems fine to me. You rarely regret having a little more power thna you think you need. (And it is easy to mis-estimate.)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
2 Watts works out something less than 7V and 1A. A third of the heat. I don't think you need to down-size the FET for such a small shift. I don't know that the energy savings justifies odd power supplies; 12V seems fine to me. You rarely regret having a little more power thna you think you need. (And it is easy to mis-estimate.)

there is some minimal DS voltage, to keep intrinsic mosfet capacitances at least somewhat linear

lower than that, that cap goes wild