Build This MoFo!

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...I have 35V output cap on the big MoFo, do I need to change it to higher voltage to accommodate the higher B+?

Check it. IIRC this cap only blocks the DC Volts across the choke, which is surely 2V or less. So you need >2V rating.

An extreme (real unlikely) case would be large 0.1Hz signal which would try to swing large voltage into the cap with little voltage out. *But* you would need about a literal Ton of choke to support such swing, so this won't happen.

Start-up may try to swing voltage but again the choke won't support it for long, and electrolytics are pretty good about short-term overvoltage (big caps take time to heat-up).

For military work the cap must support the "ripple current" which is the audio current to the load. A physically large cap is normally fine all across the audio band. And in unclipped speech/music the average (heating) current is less than 1/10th of the peak current. Taking peak as 3A then the "average ripple" is 300mA and any speaker-size cap will stand that for decades. (For reference: a cheap 1000uFd 16V cap can carry 890mA, a 4,700uFd 35V 2,700mA, steady.)

In global NFB amps we sometimes use an output cap as small as 1,000uFd, but this is a deluxe amp and I assume >4,000uFd is typical for negligible loss and good damping to 40Hz.

So a >2V cap is probably fine, but uncommon, and too small to be impressive. 1,000uFd 6V is rated 500mA and might heat in steady test-tone power output tests. 4,700uFd 35V will take steady full output so is "overkill" for speech/music, and that's fine for us.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have read somewhere in this thread Michael had build a version with 36V @4A

Perhaps that was the MOAMOFO and I run 37v at 4.65A and use a big 600w IXYS dissipating about 150w and cooled with a CPU cooler.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/313649-build-mofo-173.html#post5661773

I just made a new power supply called the SLB that can provide 4.4A with only 1mV ripple and two 15,000u bulk caps. This could be very useful for MoFo.

The SLB (Smooth Like Butter) Active Rect/CRC/Cap Mx Class A Power Supply GB

Last edited:
Adjustements

Good evening, gentlemen.
I ask the question again because modified alienation.
For the Mofo (version 19 Volts and 193 T Hammond).
I just tested a linear alimantation with a 300 VA transformer (2 x 15 vots) plus a diode bridge and a 44,000 µF filter.
I mounted a series of resistors to drain 1.7A, the voltage is 20.5 Volts in charge.
For this voltage there, the 1.7A setting is correct?
By thanking you in advance.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Which voltage are you referring to,

A moment's thought might clear it up.

1.8A in a 2r choke is indeed 3.6V.

1.8A peak swing across the MOSFET and the *load* is (assuming 8 Ohm load) is 14.4V.

This suggests 2V+14.4V or 16.4V total supply.

2r dead load with 8r active load is a bit on the lossy side, but we use what we can get.

Dave I have a spare set of boards including the MoFo sticker.

Steve.

Attachments

• 2 - 1 (51).jpg
    2 - 1 (51).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 740
Dave I have a spare set of boards including the MoFo sticker.

Steve.

How much would be to ship to Toronto?

After I'm done with the PTSD therapy I may build this amp. It is similar to the SEWA I built 12 years ago.

Question to those who use microwave choke
Do this transformer work as a choke, I have one plus I have a Panasonic older microwave I could remove the second transformer from that.
I'm not using it at all once or twice a year.

PANASONIC B600B7600AP ( MD-103ATR-1 ) Microwave Transformer NN-SU676B | eBay
Thanks