Y.A.F5Tv3.B.T. Yet another F5Tv3 Build Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am still waiting for a permalloy strip to wrap around,..............
You don't want permalloy for the gauss/belly band.
Ordinary mild steel, or other high ferrous content iron will do perfectly well. The thicker the better.
but i have added a screen winding between primary and secondary.
How did you do this?
I will begin to design the regulator pcb, i think i will go with irfp240/9240 as active elements, i think there are better choices out there... but i am not aware of
240 is perfectly OK.
there are many vertical mosFETs that work well in audio amplifiers and of these the 240 are well recommended. There are a few that are specifically designed for audio output stages, but they tend to be very expensive in comparison to 240 and give a small benefit if incorporated into a design that gets the best out of them.
Look up R.Cordell's mosFET Power Amp, which uses ordinary switch mode vertical mosFETs for exemplary performance as a linear audio amplifier.

That sounds odd.
An interwinding screen is normally a screen layer (probably aluminium) wrapped around the primary but insulated so that it cannot form a shorted turn.
That is then connected to the enclosure.
The secondary is then wound around the screening layer.
This forms a C Screen C double capacitance between the three components.
The first C is shunted by a low inductance wire to enclosure and acts as an LC+RC filter to take some of the mains interference to the chassis.
The remaining interference that is not fully attenuated to taken via the second C to the secondary.

I cannot see an inter-winding wire (with lots of inductance) achieving much C filtering.

That sounds odd.
An interwinding screen is normally a screen layer (probably aluminium) wrapped around the primary but insulated so that it cannot form a shorted turn.
That is then connected to the enclosure.
The secondary is then wound around the screening layer.
This forms a C Screen C double capacitance between the three components.
The first C is shunted by a low inductance wire to enclosure and acts as an LC+RC filter to take some of the mains interference to the chassis.
The remaining interference that is not fully attenuated to taken via the second C to the secondary.

I cannot see an inter-winding wire (with lots of inductance) achieving much C filtering.
I think you are totally right about that.
I don't know why, but they have did this way for a very long time, maybe is less effective or more easy to manage for them.
I think at this point is stupid to take out the secondary winding to redo the electrostatic shielding with a copper/alluminium foil.

If it makes more damage than good i will keep it disconnected.

For the belly shielding i have taken a roll of the same material they use for the toroidal core itself, i am going to wrap around as many times i can to increase the thickness. (the foil is 0.5mm thick).

Compare to a N.Pass Zener+Follower PSU.

I have taken the schematic from the Zen v3 PSU.
my only concern is about filtering,
i have planned to use 22mf after bridge and 22mf after regulator.
so CRegC => 22mf -> ZenV3 -> 22mf. One for each half supply.
From simulations the output ripple is almost absent, and at the input is around 2Vptp (with 4A costant current load).
I don't know how much transients loads the capacitors/regulator. Maybe i need to add up some more capacitance in the output ? For sure i will put as much as possible of it close to the output devices.

For the rectifier bridge i also paln to "recycle" the same MUR3020 that we need in the output stage. I think the parameters are fine to support this workload.

Little update.

Today has arrived all the MUR3020 didoes, low power resistors (Royal Ohm), source degeneration resistors (Vishay, i will match them to be equal as possible) cascode BJTs (SA1837 / SC4793) and other minor parts.

I have made some measurements on the real transformers.
and i got 50.5v [DC] loaded with 3 ampere (used an electronic load).
in this situation, with only 22mf of filtering after bridge i got ~850mVpp.
I fear that the regulator (inspired by Zenv3) will dissipate too much and maybe the "easy" way is to filter the ripple with a stronger capacitor bank + LC filtering.

Said that less ripple is always the best, in your experience with thoose topology how much of the PSRR i would expect ? in other words, there a safe "threshold" of ripple to avoid too much noise in the output ?

Hi guys,
still waiting for the pcb to arrive....
I am making some cam program for my hurco to make pockets, hole, threads for all the mosfets and pcbs...
any advice on where to put the thermistor ? i got that is for reducing thermal drift, but i have seen a lot of pictures where many users puts them either straight over mosfet of other over the pcb...

Can you advice a good spot to mount them ?

Thanks

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
as usual , there are plenty of details to learn , just looking at pictures of origin

in a meantime , as you're searching for either F5 or F5T origin pictures , place body of NTC right against ceramic part of mosfet body

take care that legs of NTC are well away of any metal part , or even better - insulate them.

as usual , there are plenty of details to learn , just looking at pictures of origin

in a meantime , as you're searching for either F5 or F5T origin pictures , place body of NTC right against ceramic part of mosfet body

take care that legs of NTC are well away of any metal part , or even better - insulate them.

There's need to clamp it on the ceramic, or is just enough to bend the insulated legs against the mosfet ?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
bend legs to lean NTC to ceramic part of mosfet

as you can see on pictures here : 6moons audio reviews: FirstWatt F5 , Pa is putting NTC in proximity of mosfet mid pin ; that's convenient enough , with his pcb and parts arrangement (Him - being Founder of FAB Club)

I don't know which pcbs are you using and where exactly NTCs are situated , but you can always extend NTC legs ( heatshrink!!)

wherever you put NTC , difference is just in biasing behavior in time domain ....... more intimate thermal bond of NTC with mosfet case/surround is resulting in lesser and faster Iq change

though , ceramic part of mosfet case is most secure position ....... not one F5 gone Dodo , due to poor NTC going nude in hostile environment :devilr:

2_7.jpg
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt7/2_7.jpg

Last edited:
bend legs to lean NTC to ceramic part of mosfet

as you can see on pictures here : 6moons audio reviews: FirstWatt F5 , Pa is putting NTC in proximity of mosfet mid pin ; that's convenient enough , with his pcb and parts arrangement (Him - being Founder of FAB Club)

I don't know which pcbs are you using and where exactly NTCs are situated , but you can always extend NTC legs ( heatshrink!!)

wherever you put NTC , difference is just in biasing behavior in time domain ....... more intimate thermal bond of NTC with mosfet case/surround is resulting in lesser and faster Iq change

though , ceramic part of mosfet case is most secure position ....... not one F5 gone Dodo , due to poor NTC going nude in hostile environment :devilr:

Perfect, got it.

Today i have ordered to a local company 4x inductors, 1mH / 0.04Ω rated for 10A. They'll make on a toroidal iron core.
The main PCB was stuffed with all the components, and this weekend i will CNC-drill all the holes on the heatsinks so i can start attaching the boards and start some preliminary tests.

The finished case form-factor will be something like the images attached.

Wish me luck :D

Attachments

• case1.PNG
    case1.PNG
    413.4 KB · Views: 242
  • case2.PNG
    case2.PNG
    272.6 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
some days are passed. And i still trying to recover from a bad flu.

Next step will be the machining of the heatsink, so i can finally attach the mosfets and start tuning the system.

In the meantime i have received previous ordered inductances of 2mH 10A.

i start planning the power supply for the tests.

I have on hand a 1400VA toroid with 230v input and 2x38Vac secondaries.
I have made some pcbs to mount the same MUR3020 i use on the channel for rectification... and my idea is to make a 38-0-38 Center tap, with dual bridge and then 44mF+2mH+44mF each rail. this will end up in something like 55Vdc unloaded.

What do you think about this arrangement ?
There are advantages (from your honorable experiences) in using a 0-38 + 0-38 with dual bridge over a center tapped solution ?

Attachments

• F5_PS.PNG
    F5_PS.PNG
    86.2 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
some days are passed. And i still trying to recover from a bad flu.

Next step will be the machining of the heatsink, so i can finally attach the mosfets and start tuning the system.

In the meantime i have received previous ordered inductances of 2mH 10A.

i start planning the power supply for the tests.

I have on hand a 1400VA toroid with 230v input and 2x38Vac secondaries.
I have made some pcbs to mount the same MUR3020 i use on the channel for rectification... and my idea is to make a 38-0-38 Center tap, with dual bridge and then 44mF+2mH+44mF each rail. this will end up in something like 55Vdc unloaded.

What do you think about this arrangement ?
There are advantages (from your honorable experiences) in using a 0-38 + 0-38 with dual bridge over a center tapped solution ?

anyone ?

Attachments

• chassis_v2_new.jpg
    chassis_v2_new.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 178
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.