Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Y.A.F5Tv3.B.T. Yet another F5Tv3 Build Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2017, 09:11 PM   #51
gionag is offline gionag  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,
still waiting for the pcb to arrive....
I am making some cam program for my hurco to make pockets, hole, threads for all the mosfets and pcbs...
any advice on where to put the thermistor ? i got that is for reducing thermal drift, but i have seen a lot of pictures where many users puts them either straight over mosfet of other over the pcb...

Can you advice a good spot to mount them ?

Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 09:21 PM   #52
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

you know for any picture of Papa's F5T ?
Old 4th November 2017, 09:27 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
you know for any picture of Papa's F5T ?
... mhhh only from other users, maybe i've missed something important
Old 4th November 2017, 10:45 PM   #54
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

as usual , there are plenty of details to learn , just looking at pictures of origin

in a meantime , as you're searching for either F5 or F5T origin pictures , place body of NTC right against ceramic part of mosfet body

take care that legs of NTC are well away of any metal part , or even better - insulate them.
Old 5th November 2017, 12:59 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
as usual , there are plenty of details to learn , just looking at pictures of origin

in a meantime , as you're searching for either F5 or F5T origin pictures , place body of NTC right against ceramic part of mosfet body

take care that legs of NTC are well away of any metal part , or even better - insulate them.
There's need to clamp it on the ceramic, or is just enough to bend the insulated legs against the mosfet ?
Old 5th November 2017, 01:04 AM   #56
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

bend legs to lean NTC to ceramic part of mosfet

as you can see on pictures here : 6moons audio reviews: FirstWatt F5 , Pa is putting NTC in proximity of mosfet mid pin ; that's convenient enough , with his pcb and parts arrangement (Him - being Founder of FAB Club)

I don't know which pcbs are you using and where exactly NTCs are situated , but you can always extend NTC legs ( heatshrink!!)

wherever you put NTC , difference is just in biasing behavior in time domain ....... more intimate thermal bond of NTC with mosfet case/surround is resulting in lesser and faster Iq change

though , ceramic part of mosfet case is most secure position ....... not one F5 gone Dodo , due to poor NTC going nude in hostile environment

Last edited by Zen Mod; 5th November 2017 at 01:30 AM. Reason: linked pic
Old 8th November 2017, 06:33 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Quote:
bend legs to lean NTC to ceramic part of mosfet

as you can see on pictures here : 6moons audio reviews: FirstWatt F5 , Pa is putting NTC in proximity of mosfet mid pin ; that's convenient enough , with his pcb and parts arrangement (Him - being Founder of FAB Club)

I don't know which pcbs are you using and where exactly NTCs are situated , but you can always extend NTC legs ( heatshrink!!)

wherever you put NTC , difference is just in biasing behavior in time domain ....... more intimate thermal bond of NTC with mosfet case/surround is resulting in lesser and faster Iq change

though , ceramic part of mosfet case is most secure position ....... not one F5 gone Dodo , due to poor NTC going nude in hostile environment
Perfect, got it.

Today i have ordered to a local company 4x inductors, 1mH / 0.04Ω rated for 10A. They'll make on a toroidal iron core.
The main PCB was stuffed with all the components, and this weekend i will CNC-drill all the holes on the heatsinks so i can start attaching the boards and start some preliminary tests.

The finished case form-factor will be something like the images attached.

Wish me luck
Attached Images
File Type: png case1.PNG (413.4 KB, 214 views)
File Type: png case2.PNG (272.6 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by gionag; 8th November 2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: tried to fix my bad english...
Old 20th November 2017, 10:32 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

some days are passed. And i still trying to recover from a bad flu.

Next step will be the machining of the heatsink, so i can finally attach the mosfets and start tuning the system.

In the meantime i have received previous ordered inductances of 2mH 10A.

i start planning the power supply for the tests.

I have on hand a 1400VA toroid with 230v input and 2x38Vac secondaries.
I have made some pcbs to mount the same MUR3020 i use on the channel for rectification... and my idea is to make a 38-0-38 Center tap, with dual bridge and then 44mF+2mH+44mF each rail. this will end up in something like 55Vdc unloaded.

What do you think about this arrangement ?
There are advantages (from your honorable experiences) in using a 0-38 + 0-38 with dual bridge over a center tapped solution ?
Attached Images
File Type: png F5_PS.PNG (86.2 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by gionag; 20th November 2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:10 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gionag View Post
some days are passed. And i still trying to recover from a bad flu.

Next step will be the machining of the heatsink, so i can finally attach the mosfets and start tuning the system.

In the meantime i have received previous ordered inductances of 2mH 10A.

i start planning the power supply for the tests.

I have on hand a 1400VA toroid with 230v input and 2x38Vac secondaries.
I have made some pcbs to mount the same MUR3020 i use on the channel for rectification... and my idea is to make a 38-0-38 Center tap, with dual bridge and then 44mF+2mH+44mF each rail. this will end up in something like 55Vdc unloaded.

What do you think about this arrangement ?
There are advantages (from your honorable experiences) in using a 0-38 + 0-38 with dual bridge over a center tapped solution ?
anyone ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chassis_v2_new.jpg (71.0 KB, 154 views)
Old 24th November 2017, 05:52 AM   #60
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

better to use two bridges arrangement

rest ........ no complaints

Y.A.F5Tv3.B.T. Yet another F5Tv3 Build ThreadHide this!Advertise here!