B1 with Korg Triode

Hello everyone. I was looking to add a remote volume control to my Korg B1. I was looking at this on here. VCU, Hi-End MUSES(R) Micro Volume Control Board (No controller needed) | academyaudio

One question though, would a separate power supply be needed or can I grab power from preamp. Any help would be appreciated. :)

John C

If I read the fine print correctly, to get the remote control you describe you need to have the remote control board in addition to this board. You can't have that remote function with only the board you reference.

For my own project I need an additional 5vdc @100ma on top of the Korg board draw and I'm not entirely comfortable drawing it from the 24vdc 500ma wall wart I have though it should be OK.

Also, it seems that you are headed into the digital volume control realm? For some, that might directly conflict with the analog/tube nature of the Korg preamp. But I'm totally (re)new to tubes (since the ST-70 I built 55 years ago) so I may be off on this one.

Hello everyone. I was looking to add a remote volume control to my Korg B1. I was looking at this on here. VCU, Hi-End MUSES(R) Micro Volume Control Board (No controller needed) | academyaudio

One question though, would a separate power supply be needed or can I grab power from preamp. Any help would be appreciated. :)

John C

If I read the fine print correctly, to get the remote control you describe you need to have the remote control board in addition to this board. You can't have that remote function with only the board you reference.

For my own project I need an additional 5vdc @100ma on top of the Korg board draw and I'm not entirely comfortable drawing it from the 24vdc 500ma wall wart I have though it should be OK.

Also, it seems that you are headed into the digital volume control realm? For some, that might directly conflict with the analog/tube nature of the Korg preamp. But I'm totally (re)new to tubes (since the ST-70 I built 55 years ago) so I may be off on this one.

It does say it operates with out that other board. Says it is an intergraded version of VCM and MCU-M Controller. I does also say it needs a +15/-15 clean power supply to operate. Has no active circuitry so low level of noise and distorion

Got the standoffs, and I really like them, especially for the microphonic Korg Nutube board. They are .275 inches tall, the rubber is very flexible, and the hardware is M3-0.5, and the appropriate screws to hold them to the bottom of the Korg chassis is 4mm long thread. I think when combined with the foam squares that come with the tube itself, microphonics should be pretty much no problem

I just received a different brand but identical looking rubber standoffs. First off, the screws that came with the B1 kit are too long and I had to put in 2 1/8" washers between the standoff and the chassis so the screw can secure the standoff.

I also have the foam underneath the Korgtube IC. So even with the standoffs, the microphonic issue is still there, as soon as you switches the input.

But I haven't heard any microphonic issue while the music is playing. This is even before the foam and standoffs.

The remote control board wants +/- 15V. It would be quite messy to convert to a single rail like the Korg B1.

I use that volume control with my B1K. It does work remote with just that board (OK, 2 boards as there's a daughter card for the remote sensor).

It's not hard to get +/-12VDC or +/-15VDC from the B1K's 24VDC supply.
The Academy Audio device consumes very little power, so a small DC-DC converter will do the job. I powered both the volume control and an AD1862 DAC board from a little Traco DC-DC converter and some filter components.

Meanwell makes a decent looking module (NSD10-12D15) that should do the job without needing any other components - 24V in, +/-15V out. It's a 10W supply but the docs say it'll work on as little as 50mW in, so I think that'll leave enough out of 500mW supply for the B1K and the volume control.

Last edited:
I finished my NuTube about a week ago, was working great. Was rearranging my setup today to add a phono pre and when I powered it up again, no sound, but a bit of a smell, the power led is lit. Opened it up and the T1 resistor is fried and the NuTube is not lighting up.

Suggestions as to where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks

Last edited:
I finished my NuTube about a week ago, was working great. Was rearranging my setup today to add a phono pre and when I powered it up again, no sound, but a bit of a smell, the power led is lit. Opened it up and the T1 resistor is fried and the NuTube is not lighting up.

Suggestions as to where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks

E6J5WEj.jpg

V8TGBfD.jpg

E6J5WEj.jpg

Ok, I’m an idiot. I had connected the wrong wall wart to my B1. Switching back to the correct one, the NuTube is lighting up again - have not tried it with a signal yet.

Checking the points shown in step 42 of the build guide I get 24v.

Checking against the diode I am getting 9.0v as opposed to 9.6.