B1 with Korg Triode

Now, about my listening experience First impressions.

I had a first listen, a litle strident tiring, not relaxed. OK... let's wait.

Now, second time listening, I had not a lot of time to listen, but I heard some tracks that I've been listening lately.

CD Richard Galliano, Charlie Haden "The Los Angels Sessions" avec pianist Gonzalo Rubalcaba

For example track3,"Birds", is a track that I usually avoid, because it tends to sound tiring, somehow strident, the kind of track that makes my wife say : "please give some peace of mind, can you put something more calme, relaxed, sweet? " She's right.

I am floored by the explicity of the music. (Is this an English word?) Now this track is welcomed and my focus is on the musical phrase, the meaning of the music.
The sound is round, but with all the edges that I like, precise.

The colours are vivid, full of light, but natural. More 3D. Less hifi in the way.
Explicity, but with pratt, not cerebral. Fast.

Sweet but not sweet like many amp tubes. For me this is solid state tubes. Some tubes are like that. Like Verdier, "L'Amplificateur". This is a Naim Olive series, NAP250, but tube version, rich, more natural. High treble is sweet, I can relax! I am not afraid now. I have cheap tweeters, waiting for new loudspeakers, but now these tweeters can not do stupid things because they are well driven, they behave. Don't point the speakers, point the electronics. BTW it's a good exercise to have "bad" speakers for a while, as a diyer.

Very realistic. More information, but not just details. It's more than that, it's about presentation. More alive, (repeating), colorful, Provia not Velvia, for photographers.
Vivid colors from Nikon or Sony, sorry. This pallet is very pleasant, amazing. More that feeling of music being here, but deep stage when it is deep stage. If you like direct cutting recordings, this is for you. It is possible to have a high musical level and in the same time to have lots of information. But here information is not only details, it's also presentation, even the beauty of unwanted sounds. I call it balanced information, not focused on details.

When I hear the Violin Sonata No.4 in C Minor BWV 1017, from the CD Perlman & Argerich play Schumann, Bach & Brahms, that's the same. It is clear and explicit, fluid, very musical, objective, not romantic from the sound point of view. Romantic if the theme is romantic. And the colors, vivid, open.

This is not a buffer for everybody, that's sure. Also, it will force you to re balance your system, if there is something wrong.

This is only my impressions, my feelings, in my hifi set ut and my litle living room, full of reverberation.

I still want to try exotic resistors in the signal path. I will report about this and keep in touch if there is some changes in the sound. These are the first impressions.

Last edited:
Can anyone please tell me what are the resistors that are in the signal path? I think I have the answer but I would like to be sure. Thanks.

Input, 50K, 1k after signal cap

Output, 221R
Between the triode and the fet, output, there is 392K, (or 332K), and 1K. I think we can say that they are in the signal path. Yes, this sets the gain, right?

Is all this correct?
I have to do this mod, may be is pointless, but I have to it to see.

Last edited:
Is all this correct?

If You want some more fun then try high quality low noise resistors :
332K for triode plate, 1K after signal cap , 1K after triode and 100R at the output, 7K5 and 475R of cathode.
Some components are not directly in signal path but they make some difference for example all PSU quality.
CMF50332K00FHEB Vishay / Dale | Mouser France
After experiments with Z-foils and bulk foils I do use them only in phono stage, RIAA correction.
Your millage my vary :checked:

Welcome to the PPP club, Polaron!

Glad you enjoyed your mods that much -isn't that the purpose of DIY :)

I had a quick glimpse at your built... Perhaps 2 ideas before you go into such details as resistors:
- isn't that "big" transformer damn' close to the board and to the potentiometer? Have you tried removing it, just to make sure it doesn't affect the sound (quick test with aligator cables perhaps)
- you may want to try a Tocos potentiometer instead of your home made ladder type one... it is a 10E try...

Just suggestions

Claude

Last edited:
Claude,

That big transformer is a Talema. I can't be sure about the negative proximity between it and the board. I have toroids from Toroidy, they are excellent and audio grade. The talemas have a much lower electromagnetic field. I made a simple test : a bit of wire that stays "glued" to the Toroidys by the effect of the magnetic attraction, doesn't stay glued to the Talemas. The ladder pot is disabled, as you can see in the photos. The signal wires are soldered directly to the board, not to the pot. I bypassed it. I don't like that pot.

I may change that 80VA/18Vx2 talema and use a litle one, 30VA/12V with a super reg from Belleson that is waiting in a litle bag... Then, I will put the Talema, even if it is smaller, far away from the board and I can also wrap it with copper foil. Well, that said, the next time I take the board out, for resistors upgrade, I will do these psu changes.

I have 10K Tocos, (only monos, hificollective does not sell stereos anymore and I don't trust those from ebay, unless someone here have tryed them). I used them before, but anyway, I am not using a pot, just using the vol control of AudiNirvana.

If one day I introduce a vol control to my system, it will be a LDR pre amp. It is unbeatable for me. The signal resistors, being LDR so cadmium give a very special sparkle to the sound. Difficult to explain, but when you take the LDR from the system, it's like something falls down. Like boots without grease.

Last edited:
If You want some more fun then try high quality low noise resistors :
332K for triode plate, 1K after signal cap , 1K after triode and 100R at the output, 7K5 and 475R of cathode.
Some components are not directly in signal path but they make some difference for example all PSU quality.
CMF50332K00FHEB Vishay / Dale | Mouser France
After experiments with Z-foils and bulk foils I do use them only in phono stage, RIAA correction.
Your millage my vary :checked:

I like Z foils in my dac, really like them, in my power and K buffer.
In my experience and taste, Z foils can sound agressive and thin, but when I experienced this, something was wrong in the circuit. When it works well, it is really good. Not thin or agressive at all.

I am going to think about what resistors I will use and where. Those vishay are good, not expensive.

@ Polaron

Why Amtrans and AN Silver ?
I give You argument about my choice from post #4195

Ok, excuse me, I want to learn. I'm ready to accept that I'm a victim of boutique parts.

Do you really think that I will have the same results or better as I have with those AN and Amtrans? If it's true that's good news for me and my wallet. Would you use the same Ohmite for the other values?

@ Polaron

LDR volume is an excellent choice , without even better :D
Back to resistors , two years ago I have tested many different technologies in simple class A circuits.
Surprise was in the preamplifier stage..Ayrton Perry winding no inductive wire wound resistors is the winners not bulk foils.
Resistor Noise >> Resistor Guide
touch dB less noisy and wire wound is better adapted to impulse signals like the music. You know this specially at fortissimo moment.
This Ohmite WN serie resistors from Mouser is a bargain , new stuff in small size package. Mixture with bigger value resistances like 33K2 and 332K Vishay and You get all 10 uF Kemet MKP polypropylene for free without shipping cost if Your total cost is 50€. Multiturns trimmers is great for very precise adjustements. Have fun anyways buy what You want.I don't know the datasheet PPM and dB noise parameters of Amtrans and AN Silver.

Attachments

• C96F073C-3EE2-49E9-9785-D326B3E0B152.JPG
    C96F073C-3EE2-49E9-9785-D326B3E0B152.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 442
Soundhappy,
OK, I am going to follow your advise.
Is it better to mix those Ohmites with those Vishay or use only Ohmites?
Ohmites allover...
Interesting resistor guide, thanks.

Oh, just to finish, the caps you suggested have all 10μf. I would buy lower values, like 0,22μf, 0,33μf and 1μf. Do you prefer 10μf?

Last edited: