B1 with Korg Triode

Any recommendation for a cheap USB sound card to use for Diana measurements? Behringer UCA202 or UCA222 okay or something higher spec? I know these work with ASIO.

I am using DiAna with an older Eiderol UA1-X USB interface along with ASIO4ALL (free) as the driver. Works fine. The UCA202 appears to be very similar to the UA1-X. So far, I have not been able to figure out how to use DiAna in any sort of real time mode which I find indispensable for setting up the NuTube. DiAna takes 100 samples and presents you with the average in fixed graph form. On the other hand, Room EQ Wizard, running in the real time distortion analysis mode allows me to tweek the settings in real time while looking at the changes in the second and third harmonic content. It's a bit jumpy but making small changes and careful observation of the live (not the averaging) graph gets the job done. If you are really looking for a specific result, I think DiAna may give a more accurate reading but only for confirmation of the settings.

I am using DiAna with an older Eiderol UA1-X USB interface along with ASIO4ALL (free) as the driver. Works fine. The UCA202 appears to be very similar to the UA1-X. So far, I have not been able to figure out how to use DiAna in any sort of real time mode which I find indispensable for setting up the NuTube. DiAna takes 100 samples and presents you with the average in fixed graph form. On the other hand, Room EQ Wizard, running in the real time distortion analysis mode allows me to tweek the settings in real time while looking at the changes in the second and third harmonic content. It's a bit jumpy but making small changes and careful observation of the live (not the averaging) graph gets the job done. If you are really looking for a specific result, I think DiAna may give a more accurate reading but only for confirmation of the settings.

Great tip! Thanks much -- I'll check out REW as well.

I use REW and AudioTester 3.0 demo version (unfortunately you can no longer buy a key but the demo version does the trick) Its very convenient for realtime oberservation.

Fired up the B1-Korg through a UCA202 using REW last night. Great, easy to use tool.

I put a 1K sine wave @ 1v into the B1 with T7, T8 biased at 9.4v. 2nd harmonic distortion in the left channel was ~1.08%; 2H in right channel was ~1.38%.

Forgive the extremely basic question, but what's more important? Balanced bias voltage between channels or balanced distortion measurements?

Obviously these measurements aren't scientific in the least, but I'm pretty happy how close these were to Papa's recommended 1% @ 1V 2H based just on my DMM alone.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Would anyone be able to post a pic of how they set up the test bed when you use a usb sound card to analyze distortion? I have all he required components to do it myself but I can’t find a clear guide on how to hook it up. Like where to plug things into, etc. The instructions I can find assumes a level of understanding greater than my current knlowedge. I think if I had a picture or a diagram it would make sense.

Thanks in advance!

UK NuTube news.....

well not much really, RS have responded and I'm waiting for their DesignSpark people to contact me and discuss what they can do for us. Korg direct just don't hold stock of these, but they did suggest Vox may be worth talking to for a group buy. I will try then in due course.

Sorry its a bit slow, its just a bit slow!

Bill.

On behalf of the Asia Greedy Boyz, I thank you Papa!

20190116_151823.jpeg

REW distortion measurement setup

Would anyone be able to post a pic of how they set up the test bed when you use a usb sound card to analyze distortion? I have all he required components to do it myself but I can’t find a clear guide on how to hook it up. Like where to plug things into, etc. The instructions I can find assumes a level of understanding greater than my current knlowedge. I think if I had a picture or a diagram it would make sense.

Thanks in advance!

Here you go.

Attachments

• REW SETUP-Model.pdf
    103.8 KB · Views: 384
I was planning on using this selection switch as a stepped attenuator which will give me 11 postions with a single good quality resistor at each position.

On a separate project I swapped out an Alps 3 Channel 10k pot for one of these and it made a substantial improvement to the sound. Given my souce will be either a Sueezebox Touch or a Twisted Pear DAC I will be able to fine tune the volumne from there.

Would anybody know, or how to work out, what values I should use on the way up to 50k?

Attachments

• Selection Switch.jpg
    Selection Switch.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 1,084