Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

B1 with Korg Triode
B1 with Korg Triode
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2020, 06:44 AM   #4301
irishpatrick33 is offline irishpatrick33  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpatrick33 View Post
Well, it's pretty much done. I can't explain how many things went wrong, actually things are still going wrong. But it's working despite me manhandling it repeatedly (bent capacitors about a thousand times). Got boards all soldered up then realized I wanted wires routed underneath instead (think a speaker out pad is now threatening to lift). The Nutube is wildly microphonic... behaving worse with top case on chassis. Just problems galore. I still have to 3D print a battery tray and might need to add voltage divider.

Certainly not an original idea. Dodd made a battery powered preamp. Altman had a battery powered amp and dac. Red Wine Audio made battery powered tubed HiFi. Mine is a battery powered hybrid amplifier via Korg Nutube B1 and Bottlehead Quicksand.

Not ready to report impressions yet. Waiting for battery to get closer to 24V to tune my tubiness. Not to mention my current source and speakers aren't ideal for critical listening. I'm hoping the charge circuit works, haven't tried that yet. The charge circuit and voltage display are separate from amp circuit. One switch position is amplifier on, one off, and one for voltage check or charging (assuming a charger is connected).
I am quoting myself just to reference that my build is atypical.

I have redone some work. The majority of wiring has been redone. It is cleaner and stays out of the way of the top cover's minimal footprint now (woops). The battery has a 3D printed tray and wires have quick disconnects.

Either through mounting PCBs on rubber spacers or adding voltage dividers, my ringing issue didn't occur (though it briefly happens at turn on thump) in an extended listening session. The original omission of the voltage divider was an accident. As suggested, it seems wise to use voltage divider when not incorporating a volume control.

The voltage divider did take some wind out of the sails. Now I can turn the volume up a bit. Previously, some tracks were too loud with source even at lowest volume. It had amazing bass slam that is dialed back now. However, that could be more a product of the amp being in the 28V-25V range then, and now it was well below that range. Voltage divider byproduct or due to battery voltage? If the characteristics of the amplifier change drastically with voltage, I don't view it as a completely horrible (possibly very cool).

The charge circuit works and works well. Combining the display and charge circuit together was done because I only had three switch positions (amp on, amp off... charge/display). But it works out well since it shows the battery's status during charging. The smart charger correctly stopped around 28V, so the display isn't necessary during charging, but not detrimental either.

The startup/turn of thump... it still scares me. But I can't really add anything elaborate inside the chassis. The Bottlehead Quicksand forum mentioned using a 1W 1Ohm resistor to short the outputs to solve startup thump. I wonder if this is a viable option? If so, would it also solve the turn off thump?

I can report it sounds better than my ACA. Considering the money I spent, it should. Early impressions would suggest it is detailed and does separation very well. Unlike some tube amps I've owned in the past, it does not hide poor recordings. If it's a good recording, it will make it shine though.

Last edited by irishpatrick33; 25th February 2020 at 06:56 AM.
Old 25th February 2020, 06:48 AM   #4302
gillougillou is offline gillougillou  France
diyAudio Member

Hello, I use NiMh 24v or wall supply, sound is a little différent, more fluid with first and more punch with second.

It’s not night and day.

Regards

Gilles

Last edited by gillougillou; 25th February 2020 at 06:50 AM.
Old 25th February 2020, 07:03 AM   #4303
polaron is offline polaron  France
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Hi irishpatrick33
Could you post one or some photos?
Thanks!
Old 25th February 2020, 11:03 AM   #4304
JMA6 is offline JMA6  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillougillou View Post
Hello, I use NiMh 24v or wall supply, sound is a little différent, more fluid with first and more punch with second.

It’s not night and day.

Regards

Gilles
Thank’s for the feedback.
Old 27th February 2020, 07:21 AM   #4305
AnthonyA is offline AnthonyA
diyAudio Member

Hi can I just take out the zener? The filament voltage becomes 9.2v and use a separate regulator using different transformer coil for ease of tweaking.

I understand that grounding becomes iffy and may cause hum
. What's the way to do it?
Old 27th February 2020, 04:19 PM   #4306
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

B1 with Korg Triode
As long as you run the filament at the specified voltage/current you are good.

I assume that the supply needs to be quiet, but have not run any experiments
on the sensitivity of the circuit to supply noise.
Old 27th February 2020, 04:45 PM   #4307
Erlend Sæterdal is offline Erlend Sæterdal  Denmark
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaron View Post
Allowd me... even if BG are wonderful, (wich they are), I would use PPPs. Without a doubt.
That would make it sound even brighter. I have mounted the NX BG 47 uf a week or 2 ago. Have not listened to it yet. I have a Aleph 1.7 in same enclosure. Maybe I just drop the Nutube in the bin.
Old 27th February 2020, 06:27 PM   #4308
Bassivus is offline Bassivus  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlend Sæterdal View Post
That would make it sound even brighter. I have mounted the NX BG 47 uf a week or 2 ago. Have not listened to it yet. I have a Aleph 1.7 in same enclosure. Maybe I just drop the Nutube in the bin.
Don't you think it's suspicious that you are the ONLY ONE of all the builders who finds it too bright and harsh? With that kind of input, I would suspect that something has gone wrong in build/setup first...
Old 27th February 2020, 06:49 PM   #4309
Erlend Sæterdal is offline Erlend Sæterdal  Denmark
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassivus View Post
Don't you think it's suspicious that you are the ONLY ONE of all the builders who finds it too bright and harsh? With that kind of input, I would suspect that something has gone wrong in build/setup first...
You are totally wrong. I am not the only one. Maybe my system is better and more analytic then most. But it is the same impression both in my place and in the our Hifi Club in Copenhagen. Maybe my input impedance is to high. I use a Tkd 50 kohm potentiometer.
Old 27th February 2020, 08:02 PM   #4310
AnthonyA is offline AnthonyA
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
As long as you run the filament at the specified voltage/current you are good.

I assume that the supply needs to be quiet, but have not run any experiments
on the sensitivity of the circuit to supply noise.
Okidoki

B1 with Korg TriodeHide this!Advertise here!