B1 with Korg Triode

Interesting..

(1) You removed the female banana speaker terminals and added new five way binding posts?
(2) What kind of power supply did you use? Is that the NCore 1200w SMPS?
(3) How do you connect the output of the B1K to the input of the Purify module? Is it an external jumper with a single ended to balanced adaptor?
1) I like the looks of the regular binding posts and my speaker wires have spades.
2) SMPS1200A400 matches Eval1.
3) wired the B1K output to underside of the Eval1 board at the balenced connector feet using a schematic of balanced to rca wire.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Volume.... I see two parts:

Hi-End Muses Electronic Volume Control

https://www.academyaudio.com/_files/ugd/6fd7ca_fe9f3dd59d2740859a9d920fe1bf0536.pdf

MCU_M Mini Control Board for Hi-End Muses

https://www.academyaudio.com/_files/ugd/6fd7ca_e84c90e492b443918231d6f35f6c2b32.pdf

I guess they are connected by a short (included) ribbon cable.

Is this how you did it?

Do you have a picture of how you implemented your volume control? I figure I could do this to my B1. My B1K is in the DIY chassis and I don't think there's any room in there.

Hmm... if I used clear acrylic instead of a brass plate as the front panel for the volume pot, then I might be able to use remote control sensor without drilling any more holes.

Hmm... now, how do I hide yet another audio purchase from my better half?

Hey guys,

Im in need of preamp and im looking at B1K, but i have few questions..

First here is my setup

Input -> FiiO K5 Pro DAC @ 0.5 - 1v
[Preamp]
Output -> F5 PassLabs (20w@8ohms)(aka. 3.4v output)
Speakers -> 95db/w/m @ 8-9ohms (fairly high impedance)

So, preamp will take DAC line signal and prepare it for power amp.

Before you guys say, just use DAC alone, there are two things i need preamp, and those are

1. I want that sweet sugar from tubes to be added to system.
2. DAC i have has "questionable" line out volume control, anything above 0.5v sounds, well, flat and dull (this is confirmed with DAC manufacturer, their new revision of DAC has this fixed, but im stuck with old one, and good DACs are out of my monies range)

So since this is out of way, my question is following, can B1K be run at ~4x gain ? (since thats how much i need to reach clipping in F5), main point here is that i dont need any more gain, just this.

Also i read that Nutubes have a hit n miss, like some works like charm, some doesnt, can someone confirm this ?

Hi

Regarding
2. DAC i have has "questionable" line out volume control, anything above 0.5v sounds, well, flat and dull (this is confirmed with DAC manufacturer, their new revision of DAC has this fixed, but im stuck with old one, and good DACs are out of my monies range)

=> You can run you DAC with a low level output of 0.5V and benefit from the intrinsic B1K gain to achieve a max output level of 3.15V. That's absolutely fine as higher than 4V you may find the B1K has too much distorsions for yoru ears...

Regarding
So since this is out of way, my question is following, can B1K be run at ~4x gain ? (since thats how much i need to reach clipping in F5), main point here is that i dont need any more gain, just this.

=> Sadly not really, as the high gain of the B1K is on purpose to enable under these running conditions the sonic signature Papa wanted - the sound you want from the B1K. Change the gain and sadly you will alter the sound of the device significantly.

I hope this helps

Claude

Reactions: 1 user
=> You can run you DAC with a low level output of 0.5V and benefit from the intrinsic B1K gain to achieve a max output level of 3.15V. That's absolutely fine as higher than 4V you may find the B1K has too much distorsions for yoru ears...
Thats what i was planing on doing, keep it 1/4 on pot etc... now dont get me wrong, even at these 0.5-1v levels, with 95db/w/m, you get all the sound levels you want, but there is something sitting inside me, thinking, it could offer more... no reason for this except pure hedonism.

Worth mentioning that DAC is "capable" of outputting 2v

=> Sadly not really, as the high gain of the B1K is on purpose to enable under these running conditions the sonic signature Papa wanted - the sound you want from the B1K. Change the gain and sadly you will alter the sound of the device significantly.
Do we have info on how much gain it has ? I dont recall seing these numbers, except i read over and over that Nutube has fairly low gain, due to its construction (tho, what constitute for "low gain" in todays D class monsters era is questionable :D )

Maybe better question, is, how bad would it be to use it for my needs, lets say keep it all at low attenuation, so to limit the gain. Or better yet, is there some kind of tube preamp out there that could meet my needs ?

Sorry for stupid questions, but im fairly new to the game, esp. when we come to custom diy builds and such.

---

I just realized i made a grave mistake and cant edit my first post,

F5 will take INPUT of 3.4v, and OUTPUT 20w@8ohms (~20v)

Last edited:
Ok, one more question, this one is about the kit..

Is diyaudiostore associated with this forum ? I have question regarding shipping to non-EU non-US countrie (in Europe)
Shipping to non eu european country is fine, they use dhl with tax and spedition calculated in the price. It arrives really fast, but the rest depends on the dhl office in your country. Mine was pain in the a**, man at the head employed his son, godfathers, sisters, and the rest of friends and relatives, so yeah :) good luck at your dhl office 🤞

Reactions: 1 user
I stopped in to read this latest series of posts on this thread and am happy that gain, volume, sound are being discussed. I will keep my question simple then. Since the B1K is designed to run at the gain of 16db, my best bet is to reduce the volume by attenuating the input? I reach too much volume at a 9 O'clock setting on my volume control. I need to increase the useful amount of rotation of the volume control considerably.

Hi everyone,

I’m returning to build my 3rd pre-amp after a year of inactivity ;-) I’m stuck troubleshooting it and I’d like your advice.
I started to build as per the guide from 6L6 - after stuffing the first part (PSU) the Zener is showing 9.5V and 24V accross as per the guide. Then I carry on stuffing the other parts and wanted to test it. The Zener is now in mini volts… T7/T8 are showing almost 19v (!). I disconnected everything and trying to find the mistake(s) but so far I cant’ find it. All resistors have been tested before soldering and I check again. The cap look all ok (and they are new).

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Fred

966A0314-8ED5-4D75-9DB0-DAFCECAF09CD.jpeg