Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

B1 with Korg Triode
B1 with Korg Triode
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2019, 10:25 PM   #3511
Halauhula is offline Halauhula  United States
diyAudio Member

Any thoughts on using the Goldpoint V47 47 position atttenator, as compared to the TKD pot? It is 2.5 times the cost of the TKD, obtained directly from Goldpoint.

Also, does anyone have any comments on Goldpoint's view that MF resistors based upon nickel-chromium are better than typical MF made of ruthenium, and even the Caddock and bulk foils? Goldpoint identifies this as the reason they use NI-chromium resistors from KOA Spear.
Old 21st October 2019, 10:42 PM   #3512
brian92fs is offline brian92fs  United States
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
I was wondering the same thing. Ignoring the cost difference for a moment as Halauhula stated.
Old 21st October 2019, 11:16 PM   #3513
aljordan is offline aljordan  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a 47 position gold point in another preamp build, and a TKD in the Korg B1. The Gold Point is very smooth, but sometimes one channel won't hit the same resistor as the other channel, leaving a ~1 db imbalance between channels. Not really noticeable but it showed up in testing. The step is probably smooth enough not to trip the microphonics of the nutube, but if you use it you would probably want to take extra care to put the board on some sort of iso material.

I haven't compared them to each other the same build, however if you are going to spend that much money I would consider the Khozmo relay based board with remote (also includes inputs and switching).
Old 21st October 2019, 11:21 PM   #3514
brian92fs is offline brian92fs  United States
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Hi aljordan,
Are you suggesting the primary differences would be in the mechanical feel and not the sonic signature (or lack thereof) when comparing to TKD?
Old 22nd October 2019, 03:16 AM   #3515
Steve Luck is offline Steve Luck  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljordan View Post
I have a 47 position gold point in another preamp build, and a TKD in the Korg B1. The Gold Point is very smooth, but sometimes one channel won't hit the same resistor as the other channel, leaving a ~1 db imbalance between channels. Not really noticeable but it showed up in testing. The step is probably smooth enough not to trip the microphonics of the nutube, but if you use it you would probably want to take extra care to put the board on some sort of iso material.

I haven't compared them to each other the same build, however if you are going to spend that much money I would consider the Khozmo relay based board with remote (also includes inputs and switching).
My Khozomo board was dead within hours of receiving it. I swear it couldn't have received more than the 5 volts required to power it up. I suspect a voltage spike from the voltage reducer I bought on switch on. I'm waiting to hear if they'll send me another control board. But I'd say treat with great care if you do get one - anti static wrist bands and all of that it's way less robust than most DIY Audio sold projects.
Old 22nd October 2019, 04:54 AM   #3516
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian92fs View Post
Hi aljordan,
Are you suggesting the primary differences would be in the mechanical feel and not the sonic signature (or lack thereof) when comparing to TKD?

No, I am saying that the switching is not perfect on my 47 step unit, and a stepped attenuator may induce ringing in the nutube unless steps are taken to isolate the board. I do like the feel, the level control, and the sound of the 47 step unit, but I can't say how it compares to the TKD because each are installed in different designs. The Gold Point is 100k and the TKD is 50k, so not apples to apples.

Sorry that I can't give a comparison on the sound of the two units, but the Gold Point does seem transparent.

Last edited by aljordan; 22nd October 2019 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Adding info.
Old 22nd October 2019, 04:59 AM   #3517
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Luck View Post
My Khozomo board was dead within hours of receiving it. I swear it couldn't have received more than the 5 volts required to power it up. I suspect a voltage spike from the voltage reducer I bought on switch on. I'm waiting to hear if they'll send me another control board. But I'd say treat with great care if you do get one - anti static wrist bands and all of that it's way less robust than most DIY Audio sold projects.
I've used two of them in builds for friends, and never had a problem, but the version I used had a five volt power supply board included with the main board. Did yours include the small supply board?
Old 22nd October 2019, 06:31 AM   #3518
Steve Luck is offline Steve Luck  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

No had to provide my own 5 volt supply and no instructions at all. Some useful e-mails but I need to chase upon the last one I sent.
Old 22nd October 2019, 05:11 PM   #3519
Halauhula is offline Halauhula  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljordan View Post
I have a 47 position gold point in another preamp build, and a TKD in the Korg B1. The Gold Point is very smooth, but sometimes one channel won't hit the same resistor as the other channel, leaving a ~1 db imbalance between channels.
Have you contacted GoldPoint to see if they will provide a new one as this seems to be a defect. I have a difficult time believing that the Elma switch is properly functioning if both decks do not exactly switch.
Old 22nd October 2019, 05:59 PM   #3520
WKCox is offline WKCox  United States
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
+1
GoldPoint attenuators are very high quality with unmatched customer support. I have their attenuators in two of my Pass pre-amps and they work flawlessly.
Pass F5, M2x, ACA, B1, B1 Korg; Audio Research ST-70-C3; Dynaco ST-35; Audio Electronic Supply SE-1; Elekit TU-8500; Hagerman Bugle; Scan-Speak Solist MTM; Selah SA-1; Seas Loki; Cavalli eXStatA; Millett Hybrid MAX, Hybrid MiniMAX

B1 with Korg TriodeHide this!Advertise here!