Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

B1 with Korg Triode
B1 with Korg Triode
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2019, 11:13 PM   #3501
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

B1 with Korg Triode
Myself, I have not experienced it in a working unit, but I can see it on the
analyzer when I tap things.
Old 19th October 2019, 11:48 PM   #3502
Steve Luck is offline Steve Luck  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I've only noticed the microphonic effect if I tap the case with something hard like your screwdriver when you're putting the lids in place. (Finger tap doesn't do a lot). I also notice it when I turn the source selector switch. Which is on the front panel with the Nutube. It's very short lived and not proving an issue in use.
Old 19th October 2019, 11:51 PM   #3503
Erlend Sæterdal is offline Erlend Sæterdal  Denmark
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
My Nutube does not have issues with ringing at all. Best preamplifier I have heard so far. Aleph 1.7 after the Korg in same enclosure make it perfect. I brought it to our Copenhagen HIFI Club. Our BOZOZ was preferred by almost all. I went home and changed four components. One 3.3 ohm resistor in each channels supply and one capacitor in each channels input. Now it sounds fantastic. Capacitors from Panasonic MKP 6.8 uf to Kasei 50 uf 63 v.
Old Yesterday, 12:27 AM   #3504
indra1 is offline indra1  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Glad you sorted the issue Erlend.
Old Today, 02:14 AM   #3505
gigigirl is offline gigigirl
diyAudio Member

Default COSMOS TOCOS Pot & Microphonic fix

Hi Guys, This morning I received my Tocos 50K pots. I actually bought 2 x mono pots & 1 stereo pot. They are as cheap as chips considering I was going to shell out for a Black Beauty!!
I decided to rig up the two mono's as I occasionally have a problem experiencing a slight loss of sound in my left ear whenever I get a gold. The cold can be gone in 4 to 5 days but the slight hearing loss can linger for 2 to 3 weeks. So having Mono pots will allow me to adjust the balance if I need to.

So how do they sound compared the the Alps Blue I had in there previously. Better, definitely, more spacial information coming through & yes I am hearing subtle things from my LP's they I had not heard before. The other plus is the system though vinyl is now much, much quieter. Digital was not a problem, it was always quiet. But with the Blue pot I had more noise than I previously had with my DCB1. Now I would say it was even quieter than the DCB1. However one strange thing has happened. With the Alps I had the vol turned up out 1/3 for adequate (quite loud) listening. Now with the Tocos I need to tun the Vol up to 2/3's. Very strange, any ideas. Anyway after soldering the pots up I though I should try it out to make sure I had soldered them up the correct way. (anything is possible with me & electronics!!). Yes I had but without the lid on back came the Microphonic ring.

Yes, microphoc's through my Pre was quite bad, but I had tamed most of it so 95% of the time it was quiet. Well I had previously suggested trying to get it 100% quite by adding sand inside the case. I have no expose moving parts in my set up. However I backed off from that as I was not sure about how much moisture the sand may adsorb during our up coming summer. Instead a few weeks ago I ordered some small plastic beads. So switched off the unit, poured in the 1 kg of plastic beads (did not quite fill the case, should have ordered 2 kg, put I think I can overcome that by putting some foam spacer at the back of the case, simple job. Switched the Pre back on, still without the top on & played the same LP again (Liza Minnelli-Results, lots of heavy bass) Absolutely no ringing at all.

1000G Diy Mouldable Plastic Pellets Thermoplastic Pcl Diy Craft Handmade Supplie 194452241798 | eBay

Cheers
Old Today, 03:00 AM   #3506
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

B1 with Korg Triode
Filling the case with plastic beads!! Genius!! I am going to have to try that.
Old Today, 03:27 AM   #3507
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

Tocos are highly regarded pots for their great sound/cost ratio. The only issue is the tracking matching with stereo pot, but you have two mono pots, so you get all the benefits with no tracking issue to worry about.

They have a different logarithmic curve, compared to Alps; hence the difference in wiper positions between two for the same volume level. That's quite okay.

The highest quality I managed to achieve, with potentiometers, was with TKD's. Very nice. Great tracking match as well.

Going higher in price, and further up in sound quality, warrants the relay switched ladder network (shunt). Otherwise, paying around $100 for Black Beauty may not yield the expected return is sound quality, compared to money spent for what is in reality, just a potentiometer where the wiper (with hopefully more that one contact!!) scrubs the whatever.... graphite or plastic conductive strip.

Last edited by Extreme_Boky; Today at 03:37 AM.
Old Today, 03:32 AM   #3508
Erlend Sæterdal is offline Erlend Sæterdal  Denmark
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
That's what plastic does add bass. That is why some people avoids it on cables etc.
Old Today, 03:53 AM   #3509
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

I used TKD 2CP-2511 MC Motorized volume control as a direct drop-in replacement for the Alps Blus motorized pot. This TKD also has a plastic taper, but sounds really nice. I'd say it all depends on the rest of your system as well. For example, if there's perception that the TKD, due to its plastic taper, adds bass, you could offset that by the correct choice of the first sound coupling cap and/or correct choice of the hook-up wiring.
Old Today, 06:20 AM   #3510
ClaudeG is offline ClaudeG
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Glad you are enjoying your Tocos!

As posted here previously in my A/B "reference" test (directly "air-soldered" high quality resistors for one given volume), it is really very close to perfection. If anything you miss a very small bit of low bass, and not the opposite. The difference is so small that trying to fit any other solution in between is quite worthless IMHO given the price of the Tocos, so that ruled FOR ME further tries with attenuators etc.

It would though be nice to hear how it compares with the TDK, but again air is thin at that level and the difference, in whatever direction, is probably more taste and colours (more bass for the TDK?). Biggest question mark isn't in fact the tracking, but the aging, as that one can only be told by time and we are few to have try that pot recently, but no big reason to worry IMHO given the Tocos specs and industrial use.

The tracking matching mentioned years ago on a UK site that sold also the TDK wasn't an issue at all "today" in my case as my measuremens showed, and at the end of the day I even found a trick to get it further down to ladder type pots level. Couldn't hear the difference though lol! But then to make a real statement, one would have to by thousands of pots. Note though that the advertised specs re matching from most sellers are excellent.

The volume knob position vs blue Alps isn't relevant at all for audio quality BUT the way you describe it, it could also be you inverted the left pin with the right one (I did it once). That's from left / middle / right pins on a given pot, regardless how you look at it, so perhaps your 2 extremes are inverted, as otherwise the log curve should be pretty much close with the Alps. But again not an issue re audio quality.

For me, bare aging that needs to be verified, it is more than a match to my Black Beauty on sonic qualities. But then the BB is a fantastic unit that didn't move one bit in 25 years... whereas some switches did after 10y... great piece!

I hope this helps

Claude

B1 with Korg TriodeHide this!Advertise here!