Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

B1 with Korg Triode
B1 with Korg Triode
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2019, 07:56 AM   #3091
Steve Luck is offline Steve Luck  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Steve Luck - more inputs and balanced outputs is absolutely something you can do... this is DIY!! You’ll need a bigger chassis to have room for the additional input jacks, and either a doubling up of the PCB to run balanced at the circuit level, or a pair of SE to BAL output transformers.

Sounds like a great project!
I have a second amp camp on order to make a pair and I'm interested in using the XLR inputs built into these for the reduction in distortion and increase in power mentioned in documentation. It also gives me something easier to sell on at some point to some one with less efficient speakers than I have.

I see that you can wire RCA to XLR plugs but I presume that would defeat some of the purpose/benefit.

I was hoping the new full pre-amp kit when it goes on sale would be set up to match the Amp camp amps. Extra inputs and switching I can manage but can you point me in the direction of some reading on how I could convert RCA output to XLR using transformers or how you'd make use of two PCB to do this as you mentioned. I need a diagram or two to understand how you'd do this.

Cheers

Steve
Old 11th September 2019, 03:34 PM   #3092
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

B1 with Korg Triode
Steve Luck - post #4834

Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

SE to BAL transformer - ART DTI 2-channel Hum Eliminator | Sweetwater

Which is basically this on the inside - Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th September 2019, 04:01 PM   #3093
nashbap is offline nashbap  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
either a doubling up of the PCB to run balanced at the circuit level,

If doubling up and running each PCB as + and _ phase of each channel, is there any link between phases suggested by Mr. Pass as he did in the F5TV3 and BA3 pre projects to make them balanced?
Thanks.

nash
Old 11th September 2019, 04:06 PM   #3094
nashbap is offline nashbap  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Luck View Post
point me in the direction of some reading on how I could convert RCA output to XLR using transformers

Steve, besides what 6L6 has posted the Jensen JT11P1 works very well. You may read the Application notes on the Jensen site as to how to wire them up.
nash
Old 11th September 2019, 05:18 PM   #3095
avdesignguru is offline avdesignguru  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashbap View Post
Steve, besides what 6L6 has posted the Jensen JT11P1 works very well. You may read the Application notes on the Jensen site as to how to wire them up.
nash
I have used the Jensen JT-11-P1 and it is an excellent transformer. While you are at it, reverse the primary winding connection and that will mean the output of the B1K will be in proper signal polarity so you will not need to reverse the loudspeaker leads. Also, pay attention to the data sheet and add the recommended damping network if your input pot is more than 10K ohms.
Old 12th September 2019, 12:51 AM   #3096
NWForester is offline NWForester  United States
diyAudio Member

The bias voltage to the cathode heaters at T5 and T6 should be 0.6 VDC. I am measuring 0.667 VDC and 0.680 VDC respectively.

Is this still within acceptable limits?
Old 12th September 2019, 05:33 PM   #3097
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

B1 with Korg Triode
Korg states that the limit is 0.7V, which is 17 mA of current.
Old 12th September 2019, 07:18 PM   #3098
bullitt5094 is offline bullitt5094  United States
DIY Rookie
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
I have the B1K feeding my just completed F5 with results beyond expectations. Question is, I think both the B1K and F5 circuit designs invert the signal output. If I have those facts straight, does that mean the combination puts out a correct, non-inverted signal to the speakers so it isn't required to reverse the speaker polarity to get the phasing correct?
Old 12th September 2019, 07:50 PM   #3099
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

B1 with Korg Triode
Maybe.

However, all that matters is what YOU decide sounds best of the two choices -

Speaker wires connected normally

Speaker wires connected “backwards”

Try both, flip them around a time or two. You’ll probably prefer one way to the other.

Whichever way you like is the way you should listen. Neither way is wrong.
Old 12th September 2019, 08:03 PM   #3100
Hikari1 is offline Hikari1  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt5094 View Post
I have the B1K feeding my just completed F5 with results beyond expectations. Question is, I think both the B1K and F5 circuit designs invert the signal output. If I have those facts straight, does that mean the combination puts out a correct, non-inverted signal to the speakers so it isn't required to reverse the speaker polarity to get the phasing correct?
I do not believe the F5 inverts phase.

B1 with Korg TriodeHide this!Advertise here!