Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

B1 with Korg Triode
B1 with Korg Triode
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2019, 10:32 PM   #2661
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
naah

forced is making me nervous and always trying to hear is there noise and is it elevated

besides that , you need space for proper linear PSU

I don't like switchers , though if you shoot to smaller form factor amplifier , you can't go wrong with ACA
Old 6th July 2019, 12:55 AM   #2662
bullitt5094 is offline bullitt5094  United States
DIY Rookie
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
I'm certainly impressed with the ACA. But for seriously dynamic music at higher gain levels you need two of them. I'm assuming an F5 would sound better than two bridged ACAs. I was also thinking of putting the PSU remotely in it's own box and use a smaller box for the amp itself. You wouldn't have to worry about the PSU magnetic fields either. But just thinking out loud.
Old 6th July 2019, 01:08 AM   #2663
elwood625 is offline elwood625  United States
diyAudio Member

I just finished reading this thread, taking notes, and ordering the PCB kit and a chassis, I'm in the purchasing phase.
I do have one question regarding a tube based source as an input, 6L6 made reference in regards to a question about input pot 20K, 50K, 100K. Is there anything different needed for the 6AX7a phono section as an input to the Korg?
Old 11th July 2019, 06:18 AM   #2664
BrianGasberg is offline BrianGasberg  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Prototype ready for music
It sounds absolutely beautiful playing with an Aleph 5...

IMG_0106.JPEGIMG_0107.JPEG
Old 12th July 2019, 07:23 AM   #2665
Grunnet is offline Grunnet  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Just to report a successful build. I bought the parts (incl Nutube) from the Diyaudio store, added Takman metal foil resistors and Panasonic FM power capacitors (1000uF and 2200uF) plus Silmic 10uF for the signal path (the latter bypassed with polypropylenes). Finally added a separate, 2 meter removed, psu with a cheap chinese psu and trafo. Everything worked perfectly from day one, absolutely no noise, whatever I did to provoke it (within reason). Now I am waiting for the Meanwell power supply recommended by Laverda, as the effect that Laverda described is the only improvement, I can think of. All in all, a very happy teddy.
Old 12th July 2019, 07:51 AM   #2666
Bassivus is offline Bassivus  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunnet View Post
Just to report a successful build. I bought the parts (incl Nutube) from the Diyaudio store, added Takman metal foil resistors and Panasonic FM power capacitors (1000uF and 2200uF) plus Silmic 10uF for the signal path (the latter bypassed with polypropylenes). Finally added a separate, 2 meter removed, psu with a cheap chinese psu and trafo. Everything worked perfectly from day one, absolutely no noise, whatever I did to provoke it (within reason). Now I am waiting for the Meanwell power supply recommended by Laverda, as the effect that Laverda described is the only improvement, I can think of. All in all, a very happy teddy.
Can you please report your experience on PP bypassing Silmics? What have you used and did it bring more clarity? I can definitely hear the elcos signature and it starts to bother me
Old 12th July 2019, 08:09 AM   #2667
diyAudio Member

I only bypassed the Silmics because of routine. At some point I have decided that bypassing electrolytics in the signal path makes the sound better (clearer, smother, more open, whatever) - honestly, I have forgotten why. On the other hand, I never bypass power electrolytics as I did not find any change there. For bypassing smaller electrolytics like these, I have settled on Roederstein 0,01uF. All this may sound silly, but I experimented quite a lot many years ago and am still following the routine I established then. Excercising a bit of Maoist self-critique, developments in production/design may have made my routines completely obsolete, but it hopefully wont harm the quality of sound.
Old 12th July 2019, 04:50 PM   #2668
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

B1 with Korg Triode
Bypassing electrolytics might not make it much better, but it I have not
seen a case where it's worse.

Old 12th July 2019, 04:56 PM   #2669
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

It is interesting to calculate (or measure) the impedance of the bypass capacitor compared to the ecap or the change in impedance ecap alone compared to ecap + bypass cap. It is usually close to "nothing"......even at relative high frequencies.
Old 13th July 2019, 11:18 AM   #2670
diyAudio Member

Just to report, that the Meanwell RS-75-24 works very well with the B1 Nutube. The sound is remarkably good!

B1 with Korg TriodeHide this!Advertise here!