Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

B1 with Korg Triode
B1 with Korg Triode
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2019, 09:35 PM   #2511
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

B1 with Korg Triode
That's clear. You used the right holes.

I guess we proceed with replacing Fets.

Old 12th June 2019, 10:05 PM   #2512
polaron is offline polaron  France
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
I used the highlighted rows. "J" from jfets, right?
Old 12th June 2019, 10:07 PM   #2513
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Did I use the right holes or not? I feel so anguish...
Old 12th June 2019, 10:13 PM   #2514
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
That's clear. You used the right holes.

I guess we proceed with replacing Fets.

Ok, I'm ready.
Old 13th June 2019, 08:06 AM   #2515
Roo2 is offline Roo2  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post
Hi there. Iím not able to get a stable voltage at T8. After trying to set to 9.5V itís now fluctuating between 8.5 to 10V... All good at T7 with a very stable 9.5V. Iím wondering if the crooked ďframeĒ on the right channel of my Nutube is more important than I thought? See attached photo. Any suggestions?
Hi, sorry for butting in earlier. Could my T8 voltage instability be a consequence of a defective Nutube? Seek advice as to seeking a replacement Nutube or could this be caused by something else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ABAE5579-7555-448B-9B08-D86C85FD5637.jpg (577.7 KB, 238 views)
Old 13th June 2019, 02:01 PM   #2516
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Now I wanted to ask something that seams to be out of topic, but it is related, anyway.

I am building a Aleph3 amp. I don't know if that's the best Aleph amp to my speakers, wich are Eikona drivers in a VTL transmission line. I wanted to build a F5, but I choosed the 3 because I have already a very nice case with two good psu's inside, generating 24 "symetric" volts. Is the F5 better? I don't know, but I ting that I Will like the 3. Is it well matched to my speakers? These 86 or 87db drivers are easy to drive, nevertheless. I had a 210 - 8w Verdier with them with wonderful results.

My fear is that there is no cap in this system. Is it dangerous?

I bought the kits with the boards in ebay, (they are not available in the diyforum!!), but I think they are good, I think I can trust the seller. The layout is exactly the same as originals, anyway.

The kits come with nice parts, but I bought better resistors, (rn55), one of my favourites, and Elna Silmics. I love these caps and I read that Mr Nelson Pass loves them too, so I must have done a good choice.

My question is if this amp (electrically) matches the Nutube buffer.
I idealised a system with the Soekris dam1921 dac, Nutube preamp with 10k resistor vol control, Aleph3 and Eikonas. I think this will be coherent, but I would like to have a litle comment if some of you feel like it. Later, I may replace the vol control by a LDR preamp.

Thanks!
Old 13th June 2019, 02:19 PM   #2517
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post
Hi, sorry for butting in earlier. Could my T8 voltage instability be a consequence of a defective Nutube? Seek advice as to seeking a replacement Nutube or could this be caused by something else?
if you done everything as prescribed and you have stable voltage at T4, point B, same as across R1 , then tube is in question

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaron View Post
Now I wanted to ask something that seams to be out of topic, but it is related, anyway.

I am building a Aleph3 amp. I don't know if that's the best Aleph amp to my speakers, wich are Eikona drivers in a VTL transmission line. I wanted to build a F5, but I choosed the 3 because I have already a very nice case with two good psu's inside, generating 24 "symetric" volts. Is the F5 better? I don't know, but I ting that I Will like the 3. Is it well matched to my speakers? These 86 or 87db drivers are easy to drive, nevertheless. I had a 210 - 8w Verdier with them with wonderful results.

My fear is that there is no cap in this system. Is it dangerous?

I bought the kits with the boards in ebay, (they are not available in the diyforum!!), but I think they are good, I think I can trust the seller. The layout is exactly the same as originals, anyway.

The kits come with nice parts, but I bought better resistors, (rn55), one of my favourites, and Elna Silmics. I love these caps and I read that Mr Nelson Pass loves them too, so I must have done a good choice.

My question is if this amp (electrically) matches the Nutube buffer.
I idealised a system with the Soekris dam1921 dac, Nutube preamp with 10k resistor vol control, Aleph3 and Eikonas. I think this will be coherent, but I would like to have a litle comment if some of you feel like it. Later, I may replace the vol control by a LDR preamp.

Thanks!
Aleph is simple to set just few things and that's it
F5 is trickier (last and most versatile iteration with P3) to set, and you need to have THD spectra measuring setup

generally , Aleph is more romantically sounding than F5

both will drive your speakers well , if they're easy , as you said
Old 13th June 2019, 03:16 PM   #2518
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Aleph is simple to set just few things and that's it
F5 is trickier (last and most versatile iteration with P3) to set, and you need to have THD spectra measuring setup

generally , Aleph is more romantically sounding than F5

both will drive your speakers well , if they're easy , as you said[/QUOTE]

Hi Zen Mod
What do I need to measure THD?
It's time to make an upgrade in my diy arsenal and take a step up in my autonomy.

Oscilloscope? Can you suggest one not very expensive?
Accurate. Not to complex. Thanks.
Old 13th June 2019, 05:14 PM   #2519
MEPER is online now MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

For THD spectra most use a PC with external sound card and some free software that can interface to the soundcard.

The BA3-pre thread is good to look at as BA3-pre also has a "P3".
Oscilloscope is a good thing but not for THD spectra. The cheap digital oscilloscopes can do spectrum analyzing but resolution is to poor for any real use.
Old 13th June 2019, 05:22 PM   #2520
MEPER is online now MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

If you can find a fine (calibrated) used Tektronix 2225 for let us say 150 USD (incl. two original Tektronix probes) it is very nice for audio. It is one of the old analog scopes so it is bigger than modern digital scopes. I think you get more for the money than one of the cheaper digital scopes. But others may have another opinion. Tek 2225 has a x10 on vertical resolution so it goes to 0.5 mV/div which is quite good for a cheap scope.

B1 with Korg TriodeHide this!Advertise here!