Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

B1 with Korg Triode
B1 with Korg Triode
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2019, 12:21 AM   #2281
Enochrome is offline Enochrome  United States
diyAudio Member

I was not sure where to post this question, but I have a Millet NuTube buffer board and when completed and hooked up to a 12v 5ah battery I get a loud buzzing sound. Could this be a ground issue? It is very loud and has to be shut off immediately. Does there need to be a chassis ground? Sorry for the basic question this is my first project. Here are some photos of the board, power supply, and volume pot:
Click the image to open in full size.

I did have trouble soldering the board, in that I put some of the caps the wrong way and had to redo them, so some of the solder joints might not be great.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Old 7th May 2019, 12:27 AM   #2282
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Thanks for recommendation, Tim - I wasn't thinking of these sources.

I finally put my bare boards into a chassis. The chassis came with a nice 10mm front panel that was too think to allow me to mount the controls and switches, so I replaced it with chunk of cedar left over from a closet project. I still need to replace the silver screws on the front panel with black ones and add a knob to the volume pot. The combination of the stepped attenuator and aluminum chassis makes things resonate a bit, so I need to add some damping to the chassis and add some rubber grommets to the PCB mounts.

I LOVE the sound when combined with my MoFo amp! I'm likely to complete my VFet2 amp next, so I'm looking forward to that combination, too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2404.JPG (463.3 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2405.JPG (285.0 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2406.JPG (287.6 KB, 291 views)
Old 7th May 2019, 12:40 AM   #2283
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
Certifiably addicted to DIY.
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enochrome View Post
I did have trouble soldering the board, in that I put some of the caps the wrong way and had to redo them, so some of the solder joints might not be great.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Did you power the board up with the capacitors the wrong way round? If so they may need to be replaced.

You definitely need to go over your soldering. The solder should ideally flow from the bottom surface to the top - for example the diode D1 has big air gaps.

Do you have any pics of the bottom side?

Do you have a multimeter?
The ever growing project list.. :NAP140 Clone, NAD 3020i & 3225PE, JLH1969, TDA2050, Fender 5F2A Princeton, NE5532 Pre, SHPA, B1 Korg, T2. : VSQC Phunk Style, Retro 50W, Filmosound 601, LM4780. : Apex AX-14, TGM-10, TDA7265 (Last in line)...maybe
Old 7th May 2019, 01:22 AM   #2284
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Enochrome: I would recommend a few things:

1) Double check ALL parts - make sure correct value parts are in the correct locations.
2) Since you said you had trouble soldering, it might be worth reflowing each of your solder joints. Let your iron warm up, touch each solder joint again to remelt it, then let it cool.
3) When you have reflowed all of the solder joints, check each one with a magnifier under a bright light. Make sure you don't have any inadvertant solder bridges where they shouldn't be. When solder pads are close together, take a fine blade screwdriver and scratch between the pads to make sure there is no solder where it shouldn't be.
4) If things don't improve after this, follow 6L6's advice: post well-lit, in-focus, decent-resolution images so we can see what is going on.
Old 7th May 2019, 01:36 AM   #2285
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
Certifiably addicted to DIY.
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
..so I replaced it with chunk of cedar left over from a closet project.
Love the figuring on the faceplate. Really nice build there Eric!
The ever growing project list.. :NAP140 Clone, NAD 3020i & 3225PE, JLH1969, TDA2050, Fender 5F2A Princeton, NE5532 Pre, SHPA, B1 Korg, T2. : VSQC Phunk Style, Retro 50W, Filmosound 601, LM4780. : Apex AX-14, TGM-10, TDA7265 (Last in line)...maybe
Old 7th May 2019, 03:18 AM   #2286
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Thanks! It turned out better than I thought. I had saved a few pieces years ago. After some time laying around, all of the purples had turned generic brown. Some sanding revealed the color again, so I guess it oxidized. I put a few coats of shellac on top, so maybe the color will last a little longer this time around.
Old 7th May 2019, 10:30 AM   #2287
andreasw is offline andreasw  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello,

here is my finished Korg

I got the PCB of a friend. It has a separate PCB for the Nutube, a lot of space for Caps (I took small Black Gates ), two PSU connectors (wall wart or S11) and the option for a Mute switch (I donīt need it).

The S11 PSU has two output voltages. A 24V and a 9V which supplies directly the Nutube.

I took a 50K TKD volume pot which works very fine.

I dontīt like screws in the bottom so I always install a second bottom plate for fixing the PCB and other screws etc. .
This second plate is mounted with the feets

Thank you Mr.Pass for this very well sounding Pre-Amp!!!

Kind regards
Andreas
Old 7th May 2019, 10:36 AM   #2288
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
this really deserves separate vertical plate (between side panels) , placed near input RCAs , selector switch and pot mounted on , and extending shafts to front plate
Old 7th May 2019, 11:03 AM   #2289
andreasw is offline andreasw  Germany
diyAudio Member

I know but unfortunately I donīt like extended shafts.
For the Korg I can live with a few centimeter of silver plated teflon wire
Old 7th May 2019, 12:35 PM   #2290
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Oooooo - very nice implementation!

B1 with Korg TriodeHide this!Advertise here!