B1 with Korg Triode

B1 replaced by B1 Korg sounds gooood

Hi everyone. A big thank you to Nelson and all those that contributed to the Korg b1 that has just replaced my standard b1. Music seems more lovely...

I do have considerable acoustic pick up through the korg. A hand clap 1m from the PCB will set it off ringing like some finger bells. I used hot melt glue to fix the nutube to the PCB. Any sugestions welcome!

B1 Korg with Class D power?

Sure, why not. It will give a more tuby sound to a class D amplifier. I have many SET ,single ended tube amplifiers, and using the Korg with a SS amplifier will mimic a SET sound. Having many SET amplifiers my korg with my SS amplifiers will not get much use but it is a great project. It is a real nice addition with those that have just a Firstwatt amplifier for a change in sound. I love swapping out my more than 20 amplifiers I have built. One will have a piece of equipment that will really make a SS amplifier what I call tuby sounding.

My Korg Nutube housed in the DCG3 preamp box makes a cracking noise whenever I switch on/off my hall fans regulator switch/knob. This makes a loud noise during playback. How do I get rid of this as this happens in the entire living hall fans only and not any other electrical equipments being switched on/off. Before installing the Korg in this box there was absolutely no interference in the playback.

Any suggestions how to get rid of this loud tick noise on my Korg?

Does this mean that the J113 is not good at imaging? Or did you use it differently than in the B1 triode?

Just that the the JFET buffers made the odd-sounding character of listening to inverted polarity in the headphones more apparent. This does not apply to loudspeakers where you can correct the circuit polarity by reversing the loudspeaker connections.

Last edited:
Can someone point me or guide me how to get rid of this tick nose when I use any electrical equipment in the entire home?

The noise probably gets in via the PSU. Some additional filtering of PSU. Maybe a common mode choke. I use the large Meanwell 24V PSU which many use for ACA and I have added a common mode choke and some additional filtering also. I have no problems with tick noise.

The noise probably gets in via the PSU. Some additional filtering of PSU. Maybe a common mode choke. I use the large Meanwell 24V PSU which many use for ACA and I have added a common mode choke and some additional filtering also. I have no problems with tick noise.

Oh ok thanks Meper, can you give me further details about this addition that you have done in your system. Like what circuit and how do I go about these common mode choke etc.,. Just to give information I am using the Salas Ultra BiB 1.3 version shut regulator PSU with a RCORE transformer with a very stable +24vdc.

Thanks again.

Looks like it is really some kind off not serious thing. Very very microphonic.

I think you should try it. In real use if you use a heavy chassis microphonic is not a problem. It plays very nice music. A 300B triode amp is also microphonic. I dampened the chassis with bitumen to get rid of a 6 kHz resonans from the chassis. Also if you use a closed box the air pressure from speakers can't get in (it can only shake the box which you can do something about).

Attachments

• DSC_3982_00001.jpg
    DSC_3982_00001.jpg
    578.8 KB · Views: 729
Oh ok thanks Meper, can you give me further details about this addition that you have done in your system. Like what circuit and how do I go about these common mode choke etc.,. Just to give information I am using the Salas Ultra BiB 1.3 version shut regulator PSU with a RCORE transformer with a very stable +24vdc.

Seems you use a "super duper" PSU so maybe further analysis should be done to verify where noise is coming in. E.g. if you ground RCA inputs and tick noise is still there? …..if that is the case my guess is that noise is coming in via PSU. If grounding of RCA inputs removes the noise then it is probably another issue.
Else to try a common mode choke is quite easy and it does not harm anything. It is the brown component in the picture just at PSU input. Common mode choke is usually just a ring core with two symmetrical windings. They are wound so a common mode signal will "see" an inductance while DC is just goring through. You need a small one for the Korg but better get a 3A or 4A version so you only have very little voltage loss (you still want 24V at Korg PCB).

Attachments

• DSC_3972_00001.jpg
    DSC_3972_00001.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 815
I think you should try it. In real use if you use a heavy chassis microphonic is not a problem. It plays very nice music. A 300B triode amp is also microphonic. I dampened the chassis with bitumen to get rid of a 6 kHz resonans from the chassis. Also if you use a closed box the air pressure from speakers can't get in (it can only shake the box which you can do something about).

Ok thank you very much. Then I will Finnish it. Will use a huge Audionote Clon enclosure. I will use a Aleph 1.7 after the Korg. Pots for distortion regulation will be on the front. Maybe I will cast it in Epoxy? Not the Korg itself only the rest of the pcb. Or is it a bad idea?