Iron Pumpkin(s) and other smaller vegetable animals

Thank's ZM That would be great!! Also would you be able to post the start up procedure and settings required, and where to place test probes.
I know this may seem basic information to many here but i often second guess myself and am not sure so this is why i'm asking.
I hope you enjoy yourself at BAF as i'm sure many of us would like to attend also.
Thank's again Regards Steve.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yup , here it is ........

also , bonus pic :clown:

IMG_20191113_114927.jpg

So that everyone knows, 002 continues to delight and impress with flawless function and performance.

I've spoken of its attributes previously, but something that took a while to notice and come to fully appreciate is how well it moves from Zen Source to Zen Source and from one Zen Amount to another.
There is zero jump, bump, pop or such when switching either with music playing or without.

Zen Source is used primarily to switch from an open input to the cd in when when beginning, or from live to open and back when changing cd's. Zen amount is usually left at amount being used at the time. The whole operation is seamless, the music doesn't explode from the speakers but rather becomes the desired level. Almost as if a ramping algorithm were at work. Same for when adjusting volume, or even when going from play to pause and back to play with the cd transport.

Nothing comes out of 002 but the music, and it's all there. :up:

autoformer is sort of easier to make and easier to achieve wanted quality .......

no benefits of xformer where you don't need galvanic isolation

horses for courses

post datasheet here , it could be interesting to chat a little

Specs here: Sowter

Apart from galvanic isolation transformers provide common mode rejection and easy solution for balanced to unbalanced conversion. Some DACs (e.g. Lumin, PS Audio) have transormer at the output - something to do with getting rid of high frequency noise...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yes , I know all that ..... but as I said - it's matter of concept

if you need galvanic isolation , no other way

if you don't need , then ......

Iron Pumpkin (Bal) is doing all that - you can use both Bal and SE inputs , having both SE and Bal output , while entire shebang being fully differential

buffer in front being part of full package , bringing set of benefits to the table, while galvanic isolation wasn't even counted on , as unnecessary; this is preamp , not I/V stage with attenuating function ......... and - knowing majority of possible scenarios , I wouldn't make one without buffer afterwards

conclusion - even small Swiss Knife must be made properly , with all necessary belts and whistles

:rofl:

edit: as part of the game - if you don't need galvanic isolation , you can always try your TVC using just secondary , in AVC fashion , in both cases driven properly with decent buffer

then leave what you like more

Last edited:
Prototype/head-phone amp

Hi!

I've got a quick and dirty set up of my Iron Turtle going. I had though not to post until I make a proper home for it, but that will take at least 2 years (building a kitchen and play room takes priority) so here goes!

The buffers are dual DCB1 with the output resistors removed and grounding as per Tea-bags post. Audio ground is connected to ground on the Turtle pcb. Proper plug and play.

Original B1 can drive Turtle to good sounding results.

The setup is completely silent driving head phones. The sound is just great, I'm able to listen to music for a whole work day without getting tired of it.

For living room use, I took ground and positive phase to the kit version of the sony v-fet part 2 amp. This reveals:
1. My tweeters are cracked by happy babyfingers (domes make funny noises when pushed hard) and my previous source is too crappy to reveal this
2. I have ground loops (probable culprit dac, can't remember amp-wiring but my friend sov has ordered fancy pants rectifiers so will have too inspect soon enough.)

So, amazing head-phone amp and best pre I've had but unable to properly evaluate because of deficiencies in rest of system. Hobby work cut out for 2020!

Thanks ZM!

Attachments

• 20200205_125243.jpg
    20200205_125243.jpg
    1,009.2 KB · Views: 521
  • 20200206_141934.jpg
    20200206_141934.jpg
    851 KB · Views: 515