Iron Pumpkin(s) and other smaller vegetable animals

Dear ZM,

Now we see why this took so long to gestate. What a LOT of work.

I think your price on that metglass core attenuator is CHEAP! That metglass stuff is expensive.

Somebody has to ask this dumb question and I cannot think of anyone more qualified for the honor than myself: what are the trade-offs between the diamond buffer and the good old 2sk170/2sj74 buffer? Could one be better suited for certain frequency ranges? Which raises the question of why would anyone want to use two different buffers within a system? But if one only needs one for a filter below 1000 hz? (I wonder who that could be?)

Is the diamond buffer as unaffected by its power supply as the 2sk170/2sj74?

How do you think your diamond buffer might compare to the BUF03? You know my reasons ... That thing should not sound anything like it does but it still bothers me having an IC in my system. Obsession has nothing to do with rationality and lets hope it stays that way.

At you leisure, ZM ...

Take care,

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Dear ZM,

Now we see why this took so long to gestate. What a LOT of work.

as I said - work was pleasure and fun , made in relatively short time , but what took most time and energy is logistics ...... it seems everything gone by Murphy , and even slower/more complicated

I think your price on that metglass core attenuator is CHEAP! That metglass stuff is expensive.

not really ; work involved is what's more valuable ; European prices of Metglas are fair ...... while Finemet is much more expensive and I'm still deciding in which way to approach Finemet cored iteration of Iron Turtle.
Luckily , I believe , I have a right person to ask about direct comparison of magnetic properties of Metglas vs. Finemet , then will proceed accordingly

Somebody has to ask this dumb question and I cannot think of anyone more qualified for the honor than myself: what are the trade-offs between the diamond buffer and the good old 2sk170/2sj74 buffer? Could one be better suited for certain frequency ranges? Which raises the question of why would anyone want to use two different buffers within a system? But if one only needs one for a filter below 1000 hz? (I wonder who that could be?).......

well , there were made extensive proper comparison tests between Turtle and few AVC specimens from other commercial sources , and I'm more than satisfied with results ; when I said - proper- that means attenuators used in same conditions - buffered , with buffers fed from shunt regs

buffers in question were complementary Toshiba based , also my Diamond buffer iteration ; naturally - in some tests AVCs were compared , in other tests buffers were compared

main difference with Diamond is somewhat more tedious process of setting DC offset , slightly worse DC offset in temp. domain , but sound is certainly not worse , while it behaves ( and sounds ) even better when I ( artificially) burdened them with ridiculous load , which (luckily) is not the case when they're loaded with Turtles

and yes - bloody more screws to take care of , comparing to Toshibas

Is the diamond buffer as unaffected by its power supply as the 2sk170/2sj74?

well , no - meaning that any sort of low level ( power wise) stage is having benefits from properly executed PSU ; I'm hearing difference between raw PSU and proper shunt ...... while I'm always favoring even raw PSU to series regg-ed PSU

cal it objectivity or strong autosuggestion , that's it as it is :)

How do you think your diamond buffer might compare to the BUF03? You know my reasons ... That thing should not sound anything like it does but it still bothers me having an IC in my system. Obsession has nothing to do with rationality and lets hope it stays that way.

BUF03 is damn good chip , but I never made anything from scratch with it, so I can hardly assess that with any objectivity**;

few times I had opportunity to hear it in something , it reminds me of sound of Quad 405 ....... there is really nothing to object of , but somehow is something missing

**far from that that I'm striving even slightest to be objective

Last edited:
I know how to read a modest man. I can tell by how pleased you are with the project that you are understating everything.

Am I the only person who knows that ZM is, contrary to written appearances, a modest man? I doubt it.

I was thinking FINEMET. Yet, again, jumping to conclusions.

I am anxious to hear the diamond buffer - I will get offset as close as possible but all the gear following has an input capacitor so i guess it will not be quite as critical to get perfect?

I had never before heard the BUF03 until I started using that attenuator. Maybe it is just that it sounds so different? I think it sounds very good. If there are grievous faults I hope my aging ears will eventually detect them. I still would like to substitute your buffers and find out.

Since this device is driving an amp and my active (2sj170...) filter I like the idea of a robust buffer instead of using the above mentioned ones, there, also.
I would not mind being told I am wrong about their relative driving abilities but i figure it is no contest.

I would never try to get away with a too simple power supply though I tend to find myself happier with LCLC filters instead of regulators, even shunt regulators . Of course, at the moment I am pretty sure that for low level amplification half wave rectification needs to be re-considered. Sure sounds better on my phono amp - less "hazy" noise - kind of like removing a layer of digital noise from a DAC. Obviously, plenty of filtering to follow the rectifier.

Thanks, ZM, and take care,

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I was thinking and I'm still thinking about toroids

however , trick is to find anyone willing to wind them with zillion taps , to do that in quantity and to do that in expected level of quality

of course that completelly different situation is if one wants to make just a pair , for himself ......

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

I am anxious to hear the diamond buffer - I will get offset as close as possible but all the gear following has an input capacitor so i guess it will not be quite as critical to get perfect?......

I believe you have sorted issues as selector and proper regs (speaking of things I have on Pumpkins pcb ,besides buffers ) , so stay with JFet buffers , as you have them already

no Graal here , just different flavor

besides that , yup , if next stage is having input cap, one doesn't need to be utterly anal with DC offset settings , in general

I would never try to get away with a too simple power supply though I tend to find myself happier with LCLC filters instead of regulators, even shunt regulators . Of course, at the moment I am pretty sure that for low level amplification half wave rectification needs to be re-considered. Sure sounds better on my phono amp - less "hazy" noise - kind of like removing a layer of digital noise from a DAC. Obviously, plenty of filtering to follow the rectifier.

if you 're hearing differences in favor of half-wave rectifier , something is fishy afterwards; by any law , half wave rectifier is crude in any way vs. full wave ; then , LCLC when designed properly ( overkill is name of the game , better sleep etc.) must cushion any deficiency of rectifier stage - meaning - working as cushion for anything even slightly resembling HF hash and similar ......

maybe your LCLC isn't potent enough , leaving some residual which is unsettling THD spectra of active stages ....... luckily in a way pleasant to your ears

if that's the case , I have no objection :clown:

ZM,

I think you might be surprised by the half wave rectifier.

What I am getting at is the lower radiated switching noise, or maybe the noise is louder but at a more benign frequency? It is not a change in tonality I am hearing it as less junk between the notes.

Easy enough to try. Good enough for Sid Smith in the Marantz 7. He certainly did not choose half wave for economic reasons.

I knew it was "wrong" when I tried it but too often we have found the ONLY way to not be as good as we assumed.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
working on Iron Pumpkin SE demo specimen

HiFi2000 case , 3HE/400 , bought few years ago

slowly getting missing bits 'n' pieces for case

now , just to send front for beautification

Attachments

• WP_20170913_19_43_39_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170913_19_43_39_Pro.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 763
  • WP_20170913_19_43_53_Pro.jpg