DIYZONE and IP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It appears that our friend in Taiwan has decided to taken on
the Zen 5 also. Flattering as this might be, it shows a disregard
for copyrights, as he reproduces coprighted material found in the
article at length.

Someone who wants to show our schematics should link to
our website, where reproduction is expressly intended. To do
otherwise is to violate copyright law. Also he should be aware
that the names of the Zen amps as published are trademarks
of Pass Laboratories, established through commerce.

I will again be referring DIYZONE's activity to my Distributor in
Taiwan, who is still deciding what action, if any, to take on the
previous incident.

If this continues to be a problem, however, the DIY community
might conceivably end up having to buy a copy of AudioXpress
to see the remaining installments, or waiting for DIYZONE to
invent its own intellectual property. At the same time, it does
not bolster my support within Pass Labs (a corporation run by
people not as wealthy as me) to publish schematics of
commercial products. I do this for pleasure. They feed their
families.

This occurs at a poor time, for I also perceive a number of
designers considering sharing their material, and this does
not encourage them. If DIYZONE wants to encourage the
growth of the DIY community, I think they can do a better job
by properly respecting other's rights.

Gee, where have I seen this before? Only we used triangular slices of pizza! What other ideas can they not think up for themselves?

Attachments

• a150201small.jpg
    a150201small.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 3,634
I haven't got the skills to design my own equipment. I have not the big income for I am still a student. I have got the contacts to make money out of other people's work but no way I would be stealing other people's ideas, designs or work.

I hope this incident is not the beginning of audio piracy, like the software and music industries are encountering...

This is such a perfect way for me to learn, expand my knowledge and to share ideas and experiences. Keep up the atmosphere!

Is it a problem at all to wring the neck of DIYzone for trademark infriguement?

Im more than sad about the development of this case with DIYzone. As i wrote in the IP property thread of aleph X, this is whats killing the diy community.

.......enough of that !!!!

Now to find a solution to get DIYzone out of this equation.

A solution could be that Passdiy would supply some sort of kits. It would be no problem matching the quality of DIYzone, and i could hardly imagine anybody choosing a diyzone kit over a Pass kit.

Magura:)

Dear Mr. Pass,

I am not speaking for anybody here. Since I can read Chinese, I just wanted to let you know the impression I got after reading it. It seems to me it's an article posted there by some guy who built a ZV5 based on your design. I could not find a word there about selling PCBs or any other parts for ZV5. (at least not for now).

Hi Guys,

You guys jump to wrong conclusion again. Like my above fellow forum members said, this is just an article posted by one of the diyers in Taiwan. DIYZONE didn't make any PCB/kit for it. If you check the updated webpage, there is another Aleph 5 project put up by another diyers and again DIYZONE didn't make any PCB/Kit for it.

I am from Malaysia, and not a Taiwanese or affiliated to Mr.Wu or his company, just a happy customer who buys his other than Aleph X products. I am also a happy user of the 'piece of ****' (as referred to by Peter Daniel) step ladder pot sold by DIYZONE.

Life is short, lets forgive and enjoy:) while you can.

Best wishes from sunny KL,
Kuan Yau

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
sunny130y said:
I am from Malaysia, and not a Taiwanese or affiliated to Mr.Wu or his company, just a happy customer who buys his other than Aleph X products. I am also a happy user of the 'piece of ****' (as referred to by Peter Daniel) step ladder pot sold by DIYZONE.

I wouldn't call it a piece of ****, but does yours make popping noises when you change volume settings? Mine does it about 1/2 of the time when I am changing volume settings, and I find it to be quite annoying. I have no complaints about the switch when it isn't being switched, as it is a good looking unit. I just wish that they had chosen a higher quality switch.

As not to go off topic here, I don't care if the design on the diyzone website is simply a user project submitted. Clearly there is no regard for IP here, since images from the PassDIY website were used directly, with the copyright information removed. I find this to be quite disrespectful. I really value the information that Nelson puts on his website, and I hope that it doesn't stop, due to the actions of diyzone.

--
Brian

To be fair

sunny130y said:
Hi Guys,

You guys jump to wrong conclusion again. Like my above fellow forum members said, this is just an article posted by one of the diyers in Taiwan. DIYZONE didn't make any PCB/kit for it. If you check the updated webpage, there is another Aleph 5 project put up by another diyers and again DIYZONE didn't make any PCB/Kit for it.

Life is short, lets forgive and enjoy:) while you can.

Best wishes from sunny KL,
Kuan Yau

Yes, DIY ZONE does not make PCB/kit for either Zen 5 or Aleph 5. but please take a look at the link http://www.diyzone.net/phorum/read.php?f=5&i=170492&t=170492

DIY Zone is preparing for the cloning of Audio Research Reference II, isn't it?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you go back to my initial statement, you do not see me
accusing DIYZONE of offering a kit. They are posting copyrighted
material without permission. If they wish to legitimately have
the reader see these schematics, they can post a link to my
website where they are posted.

DIYZONE has been in violation of copyrights since its inception, the whole site would have to be shutdown since all the content is basically a rip off from this, Nelson and other sites. Nothing good can come from giving free access to information to that particular area of the world, it seems.
Although is difficult to imagine that publishing a bunch of schematic could be nothing more than aggravating for the authors, I am starting to see like in the long term this type of shameless behavior could produce very deleterious effects on the bottom lines of people like Nelson.
It would be too bad for the hobby if certain doors had to be closed forever but I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for if that decision was made.

I too understood it as a ZV5 kit comming up.......

Not to take the fun out of this, but the copyright thing is an issue all over the world, and being as popular among diy people as NP is, i guess thats hard to avoid.

I have personally been cutting bits out of a NP schematic, mating it with something else and posted it here on this forum. Principially thats illeagal as well. It was all done with absolutely no intention to cause any trouble, and in the belief that it was considered ok.

Magura:)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think I've said if often enough, that the distinction I draw
is between hobbyist and commercial use. I view DIYZONE
as commercial (I view www.passdiy.com as commercial also).

It would have been easy enough for DIYZONE to have obtained
permission or linked to PASSDIY (which I encourage), but they
don't chooose to. I can only speculate as to why this is, but
I suppose that if you are trying to build up a site's exposure
at the expense of other venues, then you don't want to send
people elsewhere.

I don't feel damaged, only annoyed.

I am only damaged if my distributors, particularly my Taiwanese
distributor, feel that their business is reduced by this, and that
is for them to say, which they have not as yet.

Magura, please feel free to continue cutting up my schematics ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.