Which preamp for Amp Camp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So if I really want to do apples-to-apples, I need to finish this preamp and run the DAC through the two different inputs, XLR and RCA, but stick with the same output. Right? Works for me, I'm planning four inputs (2 XLR/2 RCA) and two outputs (1 XLR/1 RCA). I still need to buy a source select switch. What do I need? 4 decks/4 poles?

BTW, 6L6, another thanks for your build guides. Such a help to the noobs like me.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
Correct on the DAC A/B as far as inputs. Yes, 4 position and 4 poles. The type of switch seems to make a difference as far as pops and clicks when selecting a new input, the zener diodes on the Line Stage PC board are supposed to help according to N.Pass.
Can anyone suggest a selector switch?

The Elekit had caught my eye, but at the time I hadn't even done the ACAs. No way was I going to try something with a power supply, incidentally. So completing the ACAs at least got me past that by using the SMPS. But I'll still be careful.

I thought I wanted a tube preamp, but after hearing the ACAs' clarity I decided to stick with solid state. Maybe another time for tubes. I still need to find a little more guidance on the PCB connections in and out.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Much better, now with twin power cables for the line stage.
Next, send the front panels out for engraving, and the line stage rear panel for CNC machining.

Looking at your DC chassis connectors, it would be safer if you had female chassis connectors at the DC supply. That way you won't run the possibility of exposed live DC if you have your supply turned on but no cable plugged in.

As eager as I am to get started wiring it up, I thought I'd pause and get some thoughts from more experienced hands. This is a "by the book" ZBLS, so pots on the inputs and outputs as well as trimpots on the circuit PCB. One XRL/one RCA out, two XRLs/two RCAs in, so four inputs total. I've arranged the power supply, including the IEC, fuse, and on/off switch, on one side. The signal inputs will be on the opposite side with the circuit PCB, select switch and input pots. The output pots will go about in the middle in the back.

I was going to run my power wiring along the left chassis wall. What's a good awg for the power switch. How about gauge for the IEC connections and especially chassis ground? Finally, from the power supply PCB to the circuit PCB?

I was going to run the input signal wires along the right side. I thought I'd use 24awg wire from a CAT5 cable for signals, a la 6L6's recommendation. Is that a single 24awg wire or a twisted pair as in the CAT5? Finally, gauge from the circuit PCB to the outputs?

I may be making harder than it is, but I haven't found an overview of preamp wiring anywhere. If you know of what please let me know. Thanks.
Jim

Attachments

• start of wiring1.jpg
    start of wiring1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 351
Joined 2013
Paid Member
I used 18 AWG for all 110v wiring. I also used the same for the 60vdc rails including two 4 foot umbilical cables which run from the power supply to the Line Stage. I've used the same wire size for tube phono section wiring, once again with a remote power supply and umbilical cable.
Don't forget to find the Hot side of 110v, which is the larger pin on the 110v outlet. The Hot side must go to the fuse and switch for proper protection.
For the RCA inputs, I'm using two wire coax with a shield. The shield and ground wire for the RCA go together at the INPUTS only. The other end the shield is not used. For the RCA's in parallel with the XLR, simple 24 AWG from the XLR to the RCA works fine.
For the XLR inputs I'm using three wire coax with a shield, once again the shield and ground wires go together at the INPUTS only. The other end the shield is not used.

Call for new thread for the Zen Balanced Line Input Preamp

Somehow, we strayed from the original intention of this thread, which is titled Which preamp for Amp Camp?

But since it happened when Nelson Pass generously posted Gerbers of the Zen Balanced Line Input Preamp in post #36, I didn't want to bring it up earlier, at the risk of sounding ungrateful. TBO, I'll take anything that Papa wants to share with us. :D

However, I think the Zen Balanced Line Input Preamp deserves a thread of it's own, so that more members can find the info.

So, if anyone wants to start a new thread and re-post the Gerbers and other relevant information there, I'll support it.

I used an EIZZ 24 step attenuator on a WHAMMY based preamp. It cost about $60 USD with shipping. I have no comparison for the sound, but the EIZZ attenuator is smooth in operation, with no pops. It has nice large posts for soldering your wiring. The aluminum body can be grounded providing some sheilding.

Prior to that I tried one of the cheap Valab attenuators (about $20 USD), the wiring is tricky because the hookup tabs are tiny. One of the tiny surface mount resistors broke off. I just couldnt deal with the surface mount soldering so decided it was a paperweight. Also in the part of the range that did work it had small pops when it was turned. Would not recommend the cheap ones over the ALPS. After I discovered the broken resistor I decided to spring for the EIZZ attenuator.

Next time I need to use a volume control I'll probably just use the ALPs pot.

did you find the fixed 24 positions to be restrictive at all ?

I had a pot with indents and found myself tweaking it to the half way positions which you can’t do with a switched attenuator.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It's very different from the bride of the son of the 3rd cousin of balanced Zen, or whatever the official name of the Balanced Zen Line Stage is... :D :D :D

Keep building the BZLS, it's from all accounts incredible, and the new thing (in about a month) can be a compliment to it in your rack of cool stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.