Which preamp for Amp Camp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the now unfashionable 8" mid bass and 1" treble does nicely.
It was designed to be cheap but still gives very acceptable performance.

You can go down to a 5" or 6" mid bass, but this limits the low bass too much for many. However it may give a cleaner upper mid and a nicer cross from mid to treble.
That could be enough to make it seem better than an 8".

If you go for a reasonably efficient 6"+1" because you like the upper bass, mid and treble, you can at some later date add in a low bass only speaker and amplifier.

Thank you for the options, AndrewT. It's certainly is food for thought.

Appreciated.

Christo

About the two pots in the B1.. Are they for adjusting the two channels seperately or is one for main volume and the other for balance? If it's not the latter, how difficult would it be to add a balance pot?

I also can't understand why the B1 is called a 'buffer preamp' if there is no gain. Maybe because the input and output impedances are different?

Christo

the preamp descriptor can be applied to just about any amplifier that is used to feed a Receiver.
Most pre-amps have some gain in at least some of the stages.

A Buffer pre-amp to me means a no gain active stage that can be used to feed a Receiver.
The Buffer addition tells me there is no active gain. I consider that Buffer over-rules any guessing on whether the pre-amp has gain, or not.

A Buffer does not necessarily give current gain.
Take a Single Ended ClassA stage set to a bias current of 5mA.

The maximum symetrical output current is <5mApk

Now send the input from a run of the mill opamp Source which can output 20mApk without overloading and maybe get up to 35mApk as a short circuit output.

Is there just as good, or better preamp that works well with the Amp Camp Amp?

I recently built the AKSA Lender Preamp for use with my ACA. All I need to say is, it rocks! I had a B1 before and there is no comparison. The B1 was fine on most music because I have fairly efficient speakers (94dB), but I always felt that something was missing. The AKSA Lender raised the bar and I'm in sonic heaven right now. :)

Unfortunately the AKSA Lender wasn't developed yet when I started this thread, because it is the preamp I should have built first.

Skylar,
Thank you for the advice on the AKSA Lender Preamp. I was doing some research on this site in the AKSA preamp thread and got some great advice. I was planning on getting the ACA, but i'm thinking there might be an amp that works more synergistic with this preamp. I sent XRK a message for some advice and as soon as I know which amp to get, I will place an order for some boards. I'm in Illinois, so I thought I would contact Gtose for some building advice since he built this preamp. I was planning to use these electronics to run some Home Theater Monitors (HTM-12's) from the diysoundgroup website. The sensitivity for these speakers are 97db-2.83v/1m so they should be a good match for these electronics.

I recently built the AKSA Lender Preamp for use with my ACA. All I need to say is, it rocks! I had a B1 before and there is no comparison. The B1 was fine on most music because I have fairly efficient speakers (94dB), but I always felt that something was missing. The AKSA Lender raised the bar and I'm in sonic heaven right now. :)

Unfortunately the AKSA Lender wasn't developed yet when I started this thread, because it is the preamp I should have built first.

Hi Skylar,

I have recently completed a pair of ACAs and was so impressed that I bridged and now run them as balanced Monoblocks! I am very interested in your experience with the Lender Pre-amp and was wondering if your Lender has XLR or balanced capability.

Skylar,
Thank you for the advice on the AKSA Lender Preamp. I was doing some research on this site in the AKSA preamp thread and got some great advice. I was planning on getting the ACA, but i'm thinking there might be an amp that works more synergistic with this preamp. I sent XRK a message for some advice and as soon as I know which amp to get, I will place an order for some boards. I'm in Illinois, so I thought I would contact Gtose for some building advice since he built this preamp. I was planning to use these electronics to run some Home Theater Monitors (HTM-12's) from the diysoundgroup website. The sensitivity for these speakers are 97db-2.83v/1m so they should be a good match for these electronics.

You'll be in good hands when taking advice from XRK. :)

Joined 2013
Paid Member
I built a pair of ACA hoping to someday use the XLR inputs to get the most out of the amps in mono block configuration. I'm currently using a Hafler 915 preamp which works great with RCA outputs to the RCA inputs of the amps. I would think a balanced output preamp would be perfect for the ACA's. After reading Nelsons paper on the Zen Balanced Line input (Son of Zen)which has the ability to convert single-ended inputs to the balanced output desired. My only problem is I'm still a beginner at this, the ACA amps were just my speed to build from kits. Now I'm ready to try to build the Zen Balanced Line input preamp as a winter project. Since it is a single gain stage with balanced to single ended conversion capabilities on the inputs and outputs, I thought this would be the perfect preamp for the ACA amps.
Now for the hard part, for me at least, I'm not sure I could build this using a breadboard and point to point wiring. Where do I find PC boards, two power supply boards and one gain stage PC board? I have the printed copy of Nelson paper on the design and build of this which has both sides of the PC boards shown. Is there someone out there that can turn these paper PC boards into the real thing?

I would think this would be an elegant solution to the ACA amps balanced mono block configuration

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Easy enough to do point-to-point, but attached
are the original Gerber files for this project.

A is the board, and B is the power supply.

You can probably get some from PCBway.com pretty
inexpensively. Might as well get 10 if you do.

Attachments

• PL45A.ZIP
    29.8 KB · Views: 385
  • PL45B.ZIP
    24.6 KB · Views: 182
Joined 2013
Paid Member
Hello Nelson - I had PCBway make 10 of each board, they sent me 11 of each board last Friday the 14th. One week with shipping and they sent me one of each extra! I've been waiting on Avel Lindberg for the transformers which were on back order, the D4007 is now special order only, they recommend using Y236107 which I ordered 4, they arrived today.
I now have extra C boards if anyone else want to build this preamp.
Thanks again for the files and the great recommendations of companies to work with.

Thanks for pursuing this project. The two PCBs arrived today and look fine. Great packaging! But man, I started with the BOM online and it’s going to be a job. I didn’t appreciate how much work diyAudio Store did for us until now. The ACAs were my first significant project and clearly are “training wheels.” Glad to have the PCBs to at least keep it organized. Best of luck with yours.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
Good to hear they arrived OK. I agree with you on dealing with BOM, let alone the enclosures and connectors. I ended up with 12 10uF capacitors when I only needed 4, the other 8 were supposed to be electrolytic. Parts Express in Ohio is very good to work with, quality connectors etc. and fast shipping. I expect this project to take awhile to complete. I'm just finishing on the separate power supply and I'm sourcing the 6 conductor cable for connecting the preamp to the power supply. I'll send photos when I'm done with the power supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.