Which preamp for Amp Camp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member

With a 50K pot, the B1 has a 16dB gain, the Whammy a 14dB so they are pretty similar in terms of matching. Other than the obvious "you get an additional heaphone amp", merely as a preamp, how would they compare in terms of audio quality?

Of course I'm not one to try to write words abut sound quality, particularly comparisons. I will say that the Korg has a very distinct sound, which most people will very much like. :D But that sound is because it's not neutral.

The other objective comparison you should look at is distortion vs output level between the Korg B1 and the Whammy. One of them has a very distinct increase as the voltage swing increases, the other remains quite controlled (in absolute %.)

Of course I'm not one to try to write words abut sound quality, particularly comparisons. I will say that the Korg has a very distinct sound, which most people will very much like. :D But that sound is because it's not neutral.

The other objective comparison you should look at is distortion vs output level between the Korg B1 and the Whammy. One of them has a very distinct increase as the voltage swing increases, the other remains quite controlled (in absolute %.)

This is really good info! Thanks.

I cannot find a - direct - V vs THD for the Whammy, but I get it that the Korg is the one that increases above 1% after 600mV? As I understand, the Whammy remains more in control?

Again, thanks for the objective info.

Really looking forward to this new 'surprise' coming in form of a 'pre' for the ACA.

Best regards,
Rafa.

After fiddling with my newly built Pass balanced zen line stage and two ACAs, I removed the P5 potentiometers on the preamp and went with 221-ohm resistors in their place. This is about midway in the zero to 500-ohm range of the pots, and as I understand it likely gives me in the neighborhood of 15 dB gain or so. I felt the ACAs needed some help so I didn’t have to stick only to very high efficiency speakers, which I think would be the case with a unity buffer or passive preamp. Driving my 89-dB speakers I get good, clean sound levels at 11 to 12 o’clock on the volume pots in a 20x20 room My plan now is build a pair of 95-dB speakers with a powered sub so the ACAs can just cruise at 9 to 10 o’clock or so and still have some overhead for dynamic peaks.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Looky here...

:D :D :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

No more info yet, other than this thing sounds genuinely incredible, and it will be a full kit. Tube Hybrid headphone amp with line out.

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpeg
    IMG_0605.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_0606.jpeg
    IMG_0606.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_0607.jpeg
    IMG_0607.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 437
Oh my, that is just the cutest thing. The size and looks are just amazing!

I actually almost bought a Schiit Vali some time ago just to get a grasp as to how tubes sound.

But as a DIY project, this is just Christmas in March! :)

Really looking forward to this, albeit I may have to wait a while as my budget has just got a huge set back for electronic gadgets as I had my 2 month-old phone stollen from me yesterday and I have to start saving up for a replacement. :(. So, unlike the Whammy kit, I may not get to be an early adopter this time.

Still, so very interested in specs, schematics, who's design is it?

Just lovely! Thanks for the teaser!
Rafa.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I can’t seem to find a schematic of the SSII on the links above? I have made a variant of this called the Estudiante by Sodacose - and indeed it is a nice hybrid HPA. Very rich in H2 and sweet sounding.

Estudiante Hybrid (7370 + MOSFET)

But the title of the thread is “best preamp for ACA”. I am not quite sure we need to add all this extra H2 into the already H2 rich ACA.

As was already discussed by the OP, he selected the Aksa Lender which is dominant H2 distortion but overall levels are 0.005% THD, not 1-2% THD, which is sort of what you can expect from these Student-centric tube hybrids. IMO, the SSII paired with ACA mught be too much second harmonic H2 distortion sound.

Another option is the new DC coupled variant of the Aksa Lender called the Melbourne and its motherboard, the Yarra.

The YARRA Preamplifier/HPA for Melbourne DB Group Buy

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.