Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Which preamp for Amp Camp?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2019, 12:19 AM   #61
bbm3 is offline bbm3  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfuquay View Post
to BB -- my hat's off to you. carry on!
I will note that I have built three B1's all of which I purchased the boards and JFET's from Nelson Pass as a tiny token of my appreciation.

If he sold boards for the Balanced Zen I would buy from him rather than making my own in a heartbeat.

-BB
Old 13th January 2019, 01:10 AM   #62
TungstenAudio is offline TungstenAudio  United States
diyAudio Member

+1 for that. Im looking for a capable preamp with single ended (RCA) inputs and balanced outputs to drive my ACA amps. The balanced Zen Pre has been on my radar.
Old 13th January 2019, 03:17 PM   #63
elwood625 is offline elwood625  United States
diyAudio Member

I have received several private message asking about PC boards for the BZLS. Yes, I still have boards, the price is $10 each or $15 for the pair (line stage and power supply). They fit in a USPS priority mail small box which ships to anywhere in the USA for $7.20. I accept PayPal for payment. Overseas, I never ship overseas with Ebay, however, this forum is very different and I will make every effort to ship. However, please keep in mind, my local post office have workers who give you the "deer in the headlights look" every time I ask a question.
Nelson Pass sent the files to make the boards, you will find them in earlier posts.
Cheers!
Old 13th January 2019, 03:56 PM   #64
jfuquay is offline jfuquay  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbm3 View Post
I will note that I have built three B1's all of which I purchased the boards and JFET's from Nelson Pass as a tiny token of my appreciation.

If he sold boards for the Balanced Zen I would buy from him rather than making my own in a heartbeat.

-BB
What have you used for volume control? Is an ALPS pot good, or should I look at theattenuators with resistors. Im a little intimidated by the tight work on the attenuators.
Old 13th January 2019, 04:39 PM   #65
elwood625 is offline elwood625  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm no expert on parts as far as good or bad. I'm following the article by N. Pass, he said four ganged pots using resistors was his recommendation. So, I found a company in China (along1986090) on Ebay, he sells four ganged 24 step pots with Vishay Dale resistors. I found a 10K and then asked him to make a 5k. It took about 2 weeks max to receive even the custom made one. I had no intention of trying to solder all those resistors on a diy version. Life is to short for some projects, like making my own PC boards. I've used enough bad chemicals for 46 years building cars.
He also sells enclosures which I've used for other projects. Now that I see diyAUDIO store has enclosures, I will probably buy them from them in the future.
Other parts such as connectors I bought from Parts Express in Ohio.
Old 13th January 2019, 11:39 PM   #66
bbm3 is offline bbm3  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfuquay View Post
What have you used for volume control? Is an ALPS pot good, or should I look at theattenuators with resistors. Im a little intimidated by the tight work on the attenuators.
I have not tried an attenuator nor have I felt the need. Wire wound pots from Alps seem to work fine.
Old 14th January 2019, 06:31 AM   #67
Skylar88 is offline Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

And if you don't mind not having log pots, Cermet (ceramic metal) pots (only lin afaik) work very well too. I use the Bourns brand.
Old 14th January 2019, 08:07 PM   #68
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

I’ve been actually quite happy with how smooth and balanced an ALPS RK09 series has been. They are on all my Aksa Lender and Melbourne preamps as well as all my headphone amps. About $5ea for stereo with a machined aluminum shaft with a milled flat.
Old 15th January 2019, 04:05 AM   #69
Hook is offline Hook  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Attenuator option

I used an EIZZ 24 step attenuator on a WHAMMY based preamp. It cost about $60 USD with shipping. I have no comparison for the sound, but the EIZZ attenuator is smooth in operation, with no pops. It has nice large posts for soldering your wiring. The aluminum body can be grounded providing some sheilding.

Prior to that I tried one of the cheap Valab attenuators (about $20 USD), the wiring is tricky because the hookup tabs are tiny. One of the tiny surface mount resistors broke off. I just couldnt deal with the surface mount soldering so decided it was a paperweight. Also in the part of the range that did work it had small pops when it was turned. Would not recommend the cheap ones over the ALPS. After I discovered the broken resistor I decided to spring for the EIZZ attenuator.

Next time I need to use a volume control I'll probably just use the ALPs pot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3068.jpg (603.7 KB, 302 views)
Old 17th January 2019, 07:36 PM   #70
jfuquay is offline jfuquay  United States
diyAudio Member

A little help, please. Before I jump in too deep, can anyone direct me to a build guide for BZL or similar -- something that's really clear on the wiring from balanced inputs to the PCB, and then from the PCB to the pots to balanced output. I've only built the 2 ACAs previously, so this is a big undertaking for me. Thanks.

Which preamp for Amp Camp?Hide this!Advertise here!