Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Which preamp for Amp Camp?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2018, 07:08 PM   #31
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Build an F6 as it has No need for a preamp?
Parts deleted cost zero and have no quality issues
Old 6th November 2018, 08:03 AM   #32
nuryev is offline nuryev  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar88 View Post
I recently built the AKSA Lender Preamp for use with my ACA. All I need to say is, it rocks! I had a B1 before and there is no comparison. The B1 was fine on most music because I have fairly efficient speakers (94dB), but I always felt that something was missing. The AKSA Lender raised the bar and I'm in sonic heaven right now.

Unfortunately the AKSA Lender wasn't developed yet when I started this thread, because it is the preamp I should have built first.
Hi Skylar,

I have recently completed a pair of ACAs and was so impressed that I bridged and now run them as balanced Monoblocks! I am very interested in your experience with the Lender Pre-amp and was wondering if your Lender has XLR or balanced capability.
Old 6th November 2018, 08:28 AM   #33
Skylar88 is online now Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanto View Post
Skylar,
Thank you for the advice on the AKSA Lender Preamp. I was doing some research on this site in the AKSA preamp thread and got some great advice. I was planning on getting the ACA, but i'm thinking there might be an amp that works more synergistic with this preamp. I sent XRK a message for some advice and as soon as I know which amp to get, I will place an order for some boards. I'm in Illinois, so I thought I would contact Gtose for some building advice since he built this preamp. I was planning to use these electronics to run some Home Theater Monitors (HTM-12's) from the diysoundgroup website. The sensitivity for these speakers are 97db-2.83v/1m so they should be a good match for these electronics.

You'll be in good hands when taking advice from XRK.
Old 6th November 2018, 08:32 AM   #34
Skylar88 is online now Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuryev View Post
Hi Skylar,

I have recently completed a pair of ACAs and was so impressed that I bridged and now run them as balanced Monoblocks! I am very interested in your experience with the Lender Pre-amp and was wondering if your Lender has XLR or balanced capability.

My AKSA Lender preamp only has RCA. Best to post this question on the AKSA Lender thread.
Old 6th December 2018, 01:49 AM   #35
elwood625 is offline elwood625
diyAudio Member

I built a pair of ACA hoping to someday use the XLR inputs to get the most out of the amps in mono block configuration. I'm currently using a Hafler 915 preamp which works great with RCA outputs to the RCA inputs of the amps. I would think a balanced output preamp would be perfect for the ACA's. After reading Nelsons paper on the Zen Balanced Line input (Son of Zen)which has the ability to convert single-ended inputs to the balanced output desired. My only problem is I'm still a beginner at this, the ACA amps were just my speed to build from kits. Now I'm ready to try to build the Zen Balanced Line input preamp as a winter project. Since it is a single gain stage with balanced to single ended conversion capabilities on the inputs and outputs, I thought this would be the perfect preamp for the ACA amps.
Now for the hard part, for me at least, I'm not sure I could build this using a breadboard and point to point wiring. Where do I find PC boards, two power supply boards and one gain stage PC board? I have the printed copy of Nelson paper on the design and build of this which has both sides of the PC boards shown. Is there someone out there that can turn these paper PC boards into the real thing?

I would think this would be an elegant solution to the ACA amps balanced mono block configuration
Old 7th December 2018, 05:40 PM   #36
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

Easy enough to do point-to-point, but attached
are the original Gerber files for this project.

A is the board, and B is the power supply.

You can probably get some from PCBway.com pretty
inexpensively. Might as well get 10 if you do.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PL45A.ZIP (29.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: zip PL45B.ZIP (24.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 7th December 2018, 06:31 PM   #37
elwood625 is offline elwood625
diyAudio Member

Wow! Thank you very much for the files, I will have ten of each made. I think others may follow this route. I'll post pics when I complete the build.

Which preamp for Amp Camp?Hide this!Advertise here!