Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Pass B1 pre with BF862
Pass B1 pre with BF862
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2017, 11:35 AM   #11
juma is offline juma  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinku View Post
Juma , why the value of R104/R204 is significantly different from original B1 design?they are 1K in this schematic
It's a commercial design with short-circuit protection at the output applied that way (at the price of raising output resistance to more than 1k). It is not a big deal, but still, I find it hard to call it a buffer if it has Z_out of 1k or more.

Quote:
Also wondering the reason behind removing the R102 and 202? Did you mean to say R100 and R101?
You added GSR into schematic so you don't need two sets of gate stoppers.
Old 21st April 2017, 11:49 AM   #12
kinku is offline kinku  United States
diyAudio Member

Pass B1 pre with BF862
Got it.Thank you Juma.
Why there are reistors between input and ground 100/101 and 200/201? and are you recommending not to use them?
Is it better to leave the R102 /R202 before the C100/C200 cap in that case,rather than introducing new GSR in the circuit after the C100/200? Or either places are ok for a gate stopper?
Original B1 design does not have gate stoppers at Q2 and Q4 and I thought their gates are tied to ground. Why do you recommend using Gate stoppers for them?

Last edited by kinku; 21st April 2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 21st April 2017, 12:13 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I'm sure that original article ( http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/prod_b1_man.pdf ) and numerous B1 threads have all your questions already answered so some searching/reading is all you need to do.
Have fun !
Old 21st April 2017, 12:50 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Pass B1 pre with BF862
Juma ,the problem with reading part is usually information is conflicting and usually lead to more questions. I did the reading before and could not find answer to specific questions. I got offers on exotically matched components when I do that . But not answers to my questions. Usually people walk away saying do more reading. It reminds me of my way of answering students when they ask me difficult questions. my response " why don't you read about it and tell me tomorrow!"
Old 21st April 2017, 01:22 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Pass B1 pre with BF862
Papa waiting to hear from you.
Old 21st April 2017, 01:28 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
... It reminds me of my way of answering students when they ask me difficult questions....
Nothing difficult there - all of that is most basic stuff there is. It's just that answers to those kind of questions (to unknowing person) demands a lot of time and effort (and it's a boring task too ).
Old 21st April 2017, 01:31 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Pass B1 pre with BF862
Juma, if I was an expert should I be asking any question ?The real experts are one who can explain facts in laymans language. It is just ego that is an issue here.
How am I going to learn all the basic you recommend in few days ,that took years for you to learn?
You can either help me out by explaining a bit more or direct me to some specific articles. Go and read yourself is not a polite way to respond, just saying.

Last edited by kinku; 21st April 2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 21st April 2017, 01:55 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...How am I going to learn all the basic you recommend in few days ,that took years for you to learn?...
Exactly ! You got to understand basic stuff first (with internet at your disposal the sources are abundant).
For starters, just build the B1 the way it's explained in author's article and after that you can try to improve it by experimenting, measuring and listening to results of your work - no shortcuts, sorry, but homework has to be done... It would be useless to explain in detail function of every single resistor and other parts if you are not familiar with basic concepts.
Old 21st April 2017, 02:01 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Pass B1 pre with BF862
I will wait to hear from someone more willing to help. If the idea of help is leaving in the middle please don't offer.I don't want to continue tit for tat conversation. Not a productive way of using our time. So thanks and please move on
Old 21st April 2017, 02:06 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Pass B1 pre with BF862
Quote:
Got it.Thank you Juma.
Why there are reistors between input and ground 100/101 and 200/201? and are you recommending not to use them?
Is it better to leave the R102 /R202 before the C100/C200 cap in that case,rather than introducing new GSR in the circuit after the C100/200? Or either places are ok for a gate stopper?
Original B1 design does not have gate stoppers at Q2 and Q4 and I thought their gates are tied to ground. Why do you recommend using Gate stoppers for them?
Please read starting here after post #12

Pass B1 pre with BF862Hide this!Advertise here!