XA25 vs F7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've heard both, but alas not with the same speakers and front end equipment.
I would be happy with either setup. The XA25 definitely ran hotter. :)

I realise that this might be near impossible to answer, but did the XA25 seem like it had more heft and grunt?

BTW, I own an F7. Getting close to being my favourite amp now, which is amazing because it's nowhere near to my priciest amp. There's something magical about how pure the F7 sounds.

What's the reason for the XA25?

It's the outcome of countless Focus Groups.

Combing through gigabytes of Social Media data for best selling amplifier Keywords.

Scouring Youtube comments under anything to do with Hot New Amps.

Exhaustive study of Hi Fi Audio Forum Posts.

Facebook Fundamentals.

Season 1 through 4 of the X-Files watched in chronological order.

microdosing.

All of the above research - and rumors of audible test bench hallucinations - something to the effect of:
"Build it and they will buy it" led to the birth of the XA25!

How do i know all this? I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
raison d'être:

"Je fait chaud, donc je suis!" Descartes (1596-1650)

It could be the beginning of new stars in the Pass Labs offer.
But when using more pucks in parallel the source resistors come again back, don't they?

But instead of 20, 40 pairs there might be only 4 or 8 pucks.

But what does Pa with his gallons of IRFs?

:D:D:D

Thanks Nelson. Another one I'd be interested to throw into the equation is XA30.8, in case anyone has more to chime in. Reading the previous thread on the XA25 I understand it's probably closer to the XA30.8, and I understand the raison d'être here, but still curious, how does it sound?

Thanks, I am actually thinking of swapping my F7 for an XA25, doubt I will since I'm sure the F7 is destined to be a classic, and also I've heard the XA.8 series (a 100.8, actually) and it's a bit too tubey for me.

But still, I like innovation, and the XA25 looks interesting.

Unfortunately, I can not make comparisons to the First Watt hardware. I have modernized my, not chopped liver, hardware to BCD-3/HPA-1/XA25 hardware. Then, I invested more in tweaks than in electronic hardware. My jaw is still dropped. Now I am determined to retire and reverse engineer the XA25. Knowing that I can't.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.