Aleph's front end separate power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Regulated supplies for Aleph

The current source for the front end of the Aleph must come up at the same time as the rest of the circuit or you will get a big turn on thump. I lost some tweeters in a biamp setup this way by putting a Cap across the zener reference. Messing with the decoupling caps for the Dynanic current source in the output will most likely get you in the same trouble. Getting a power amp to power up without a transient on the output is a challenge. But if the 9.1V zener was replace by a couple of series LM329 and the source resistor increased to give the same current you would have better regulation of the reference for the current source. They can be biased by a current source for even greater Power supply rejection You also could bias the zener with a 5 ma current source for the same effect. A larger source resistor for the current source will give a higher output impedance for the Mosfet current source as will cascoding. I have 5 series green LEDs bypassed by a small cap in place of the zener in my Aleph 3.

Attachments

• j501.zip
    24.5 KB · Views: 290
From my past experiences I have learned that the more separate power supplies you have the better the sound: better defined bass and more texture overall. One way to avoid turn on thump would be to leave the amp on all the time and disconnecting output stage from PS only, avoiding inrush currents as well.

I was hoping that maybe someone has already experimented with supplying separate voltage to amp's front end and would share his observations.

Harry, this is tweaking at it's best. BTW does your Aleph has a thump at turn on? My A75 doesn't.

Peter

Peter,Brian,

If you look at the drain resistor of the differential you will see that the output mosfets are turned on by the voltage drop across this resistor. Now if you regulate the front end how is the output mosfet going to track the voltage across the drain resistor when the outputs rail falls or rises. The only solution would be to regulate the whole supply.

Regards,
Jam

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I was initially referring to regulating the entire supply. I see now what was initially meant that you could not regulate the negative cannot be regulated. Would any benefit be obtained from regulating the entire supply?

Also, as far as a standby mode, could you place relays on the rails between the input and output stage, to turn off the biasing of the output stage, on the Aleph 2? Would this be all that is needed for standby mode?

Thanks for you input,

--
Brian
gte619j@prism.gatech.edu

Brian,

To regulate the entire supply your regulator would have to be bigger than your amplifier, and I have found that they usually hurt the sound and therefore I only regulate the front end.
If you could reduce the bias without causing a transient and at the same time shorting the input would solve your problem of a standby mode.

Jam

P.S. Mr. Pass might have a solution for us.

Peter,

If you regulate the front end the voltage on
the front end will stay constant, on the other hand the voltage ont the output supply rail will bounce up and down with demand and line voltage flucuations.

Jam

P.S. The voltage drop that turns on the output mosfet is between the junction of the differential mosfet and drain resistor and the negative rail attached to the output mosfet.

must be lit up like a Christmas tree

Hey! you have come up with an interesting idea........

Attachments

• hohoho.jpg
    hohoho.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 525
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.