Cheap(er) Driver for J-Low

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have become fascinated with theJ-Low (Pass DIY), but I would like to find cheap(er) drivers. The Jordan JX-92S drivers are about $140 each-- I know this is nothing for good full-range drivers, but I'm on a budget and I think these speakers are really interesting, so I'm tempted to find another way around.

Any recommendations on another, less expensive driver set that would be worth listening to? Is it even worth trying since the design revolves around these drivers?

Thanks in advance.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Kofi Annan said:
I have become fascinated with theJ-Low (Pass DIY), but I would like to find cheap(er) drivers. The Jordan JX-92S drivers are about $140 each-- I know this is nothing for good full-range drivers, but I'm on a budget and I think these speakers are really interesting, so I'm tempted to find another way around.

Any recommendations on another, less expensive driver set that would be worth listening to? Is it even worth trying since the design revolves around these drivers?

Thanks in advance.

Fostex makes some cheaper full range drivers. There is a large selection available of them from Madisound. As for which one to choose, I am not certain:
http://www.madisound.com/fostex.html

If you don't mind using a supertweeter, then FF165K looks like it might be decent.

I thought about this a while back, but never could decide which driver would be worthwhile.

--
Brian

fostex fe206e

Just to piggyback off of Brian's suggestion...

The folks at http://www.oldhifi.com/fostex.html rave about the 206e and they're $168/PAIR. I've thought of trying this driver in the j-low. But before I add yet another project to my list, I will probably use them in one of the more conventional (and smaller) designs suggested at the sight above. These drivers are efficient so they seem a natural fit for my soon-to-be-finished Pen Zen (V4).

Mr Pass suggested/hinted that they were trying a variety of full-range drivers in the J-Low configuration. I'd be curious if this particular driver was one of them.

Let us know if you make any progress down this path.

Cheers,
Ryan

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Jordans were $70 when we did the article....

As to the Fostex we have tried the FE204's and FE208 Sigmas,
with somewhat better results for the FE208's.

Kent checked with Madisound, the Fostex importer, and reports
back that the FE208 Sigma is now the FE208E Sigma. The
price is $175 each.

We found that Dick Olsher's network for the Eq on the mid of
the 208's was pretty effective. You can probably get more
information from www.blackdahlia.com

A good budget driver would be the Philips AD 5061 5,1/2" doublecone. this i think is still in production and would cost around 20 bucks. Good efficiency, ca 91dB, realy high power handling due to Philips tradition of very thick poleplate between basket and magnetassembly. Nice real papercone and enjoyable to listen to.(used to have them in wideband large wooden midhorns 100-6000Hz)

Alright! Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, it still looks out of my price range for now. I'll bet I can sell some blood platelets, though, and I have TWO kidneys so... :xeye:

In the meantime, I'll just see if I can't oscillate the amp, vibrate the heat sink and listen to the music coming out of the fins. :headbash:

Must make money... Hey-- anyone want a 1996 Geo Metro? Its still got the original brakes, tires and oil! Its a classic!

Thanks!
Kofi

Joined 2002
Joined 2002
Kofi Annan said:
OK-- I admit it. I don't know much about speakers, but can a $19.50 driver really perform similarly to a $140 driver? :boggled:

I'm not challenging this, mind you. I would LOVE for this to be the case. I guess the question is, what am I buying for $140 that I'm not getting for $19.50. :warped:

Kofi

I am in no way claiming that it is anywhere as good as the Jordan JX92s, but given the price, and similar size, it might be worth trying until you can afford to buy a pair of JX92s drivers.

I absolutely loved my jx92s speakers, before I sold them last month. I will buy another pair in the future and build a pair of TLs, but I sold my pair to make room for my next project. Plus my friend really wanted a pair of them...

--
Brian

Kofi Annan said:
Alright! Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, it still looks out of my price range for now. I'll bet I can sell some blood platelets, though, and I have TWO kidneys so... :xeye:

I thought you UN people were living large and your body parts sure are cheap! ;)
If you donate platelets make sure to tell them to keep it all. You don't want to endup with someone else's viruses. ;)
If you're are that short on money may I suggest a used zenith boombox circa 1986 from your local crap store?

I thought you UN people were living large and your body parts sure are cheap!

Yeah. You'd think that platelets and and a kidney from the Secretary General of the United Nations would yield some serious coin, but apperently "they're just like anyone else's", sez the Red Cross.

If you're are that short on money may I suggest a used zenith boombox circa 1986 from your local crap store?

I borrowed Gerhard Schröder's 1981 Emerson Ghettoblaster (the tape eject button sticks and the "play" button is missing-- he was using it in his shower), so I at least have SOMETHING to listen to. He wants it back though and he left his "Foreigner 4" cassette in it, so I KNOW he's going to be all over me at the next meeting concerning the Afghan Loya Jirga.

Anyway, I would LOVE to know where I might be able to find those Philips drivers. I spent the better part of an afternoon looking for them on the web to no avail.

Any ideas where they might be hiding? Spider hole, maybe?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Kofi Annan said:
I would LOVE to know where I might be able to find those Philips drivers

No idea where to get new ones.

You can try eBay. I have 4 of them here, but each one needs some mending (3 have crushed whizzers & the other needs new lead-in wires). I most often find these in the small, older Norescos 5xx models.

My brother should also have 4, but i don't know whether he wants to part wit them.

dave

I could rip the midranges out of the Philips 3-ways we built about 25 years ago...
So the drivers were pretty good? I should hook them up to a good amp to try them. I wonder what they would sound like tri-amped? And maybe replacing the tweeters; I'm sure technology has affected them most of all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.