BOSOZ balanced pre - for novice - questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unbalanced Input

Last question.
I won't use balanced input. I use only unbalanced input. I read a Nelson Pass post

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/4586-p1-bosoz.html

when he says to put between unused input (minus - ?) and his ground a 221 ohm resistor.
I understood this solution using the same board of post n.18 (nelson original board). It is correct? See red circles.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
[/IMG]

Thanks Zen Mod!In effect Nelson Pass says to use two transformers 30 w each so 100 VA is more than necessary. Reading some discussion I read that 100 VA (for both channel) is minimum (???) and some people use 160 VA or more...So I asked you!!! Now I will order 100 VA transformer (for both channel)!

minimum power is one thing ....... and power consumption of circuit completely other

PSU power capacity must be greater at least by factor 2 , to avoid excessive ripple and thermal issues

Let me understand...In BOSOZ article Pass says "

At 60 volt regulated rails, each channel draws 80 mA of bias current (40

mA passing through each MOSFET in the gain circuit). This is about 10

watts per channel. You can power two channels off this supply, or you

can choose to give each channel its own power supply. The current

drawn by the gain stages is roughly proportional to the supply voltages,

so that the circuit draws about half the current with 30 volt rails."

It seems that 30 VA is enough for stereo:confused:...or do I not understand something?
thank you;)

Last edited:
it is best if you stay with nominal ratings and not go oversize as you run the risk of ending up with a higher voltage due to lack of load on the transformer. I have gone oversized in my AlephP preamps and I had to use power resistors to throw away some Vs as the capacitor ratings were exceeded. 2x60Vac Plitron had 11% regulation and I had overlooked that. Not to mention the size of the Xformer getting in the way of a neat package in a small housing.

Last edited:
Unbalanced source to balanced preamp input

After I have finished my Aleph 30, I'm buying all the parts to build this preamp.
I must buy potentiometer and connector.
I ask you if it is possible do this.
I would use a balanced potentiometer (Alps quad pot 10 k logaritmic). I have a unbalanced source (pioneer network player N50).
May I use a BOSOZ with balanced input and connect it to unbalanced source using a unbalanced to balanced signal cable? Rca to rource and XLR to preamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.