BOSOZ balanced pre - for novice - questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would start the BOSOZ preamp.
Because I'm a novice, I have some doubt. I ask you!!!
First question is about the volume control. This is for me the most
difficult part of the project.
I use an unbalanced input (network player Pioneer N50) so I think I may use ALPS BLU RK27112 10K as input potentiometer (Pass calls it P1-P2 10 kohm)

I would do the simpliest solution, using only the input potentiometer.
Potentiometer P5
In this case, wich value of fixed resistor instead of potentiometer called
P5? :confused:The hole for this potentiometer are on board so I solder the resistance
in the hole (simple...)

Potentiometer P3-P4
This il the output potentiometer. If I don't use it, which resistor may I
use? Where in the board? Can I let the output without resistor? :confused::confused::confused:

Preamplifier gain.
I will use this pre with a diy Aleph 30 (that I'm building).
I can choose the gain of this pre using R15 value. Which is the best gain
for me. Default gain is 10. Is this the best value for my configuration?

Thank you for helping me!!!:D

I found the question about potentiometer.
Ok, Zen Mod says not to use P3-P4 and replace with 5k resistors. Perfect! First question (novice question...) Where shall I put this resistors? Directly in the signal cables that connect the pcb board to xlr/rca output (out+ and out- for each channel)? Or may I use no resistors in the cable output and only replace R11-R12 with 5k resistors instead your original value 100 K?

Second question. P5. I read that it can be shorted but I can be use a 500 ohm trimpot. Sorry for this stupid question... Trimpot has 3 legs and on the board there are only 2 hole...How can I connect correctly trimpot?

Thank you Zen Mod.
This should be correct...Each resistor has one leg soldered on top pcb and other leg soldered on bottom pcb. So each out signal hole is shorted with 5k fixed resistor.
Finally I solder the signal cable on the top (or bottom, it's the same) of the out connection on the pcb to the xlr. May I do the same thing (put 5k resistor) with the ground connection thar link pcb to xlr?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
replace R11 and R12 with 5K values (instead of 100K)

connect +Out pcb pad to XLR Pin 2
connect -Out pcb pad to XLR Pin 3
connect GND to XLR pin 1

in place of P5 - you can temporary use either pot or trimpot , and when you set gain adequate for your needs , measure it and replace with fixed resistor(s)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.