• EF74A1F6-9FA0-480C-AA43-339BC812EB7F.JPG
    EF74A1F6-9FA0-480C-AA43-339BC812EB7F.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 296
  • 287CED6F-CF12-4AED-BC76-FB8EF807F186.JPG
    287CED6F-CF12-4AED-BC76-FB8EF807F186.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 290
Also better avoid these too
IMG_1317.jpg

tested as SIT: does not work. gate pin does not allow lowering nor raising the bias.
So:
Tested as an NPN transistor: does not work. (no conduction above 0,6V 'Vbe')
Tested as mosfet: does not work (no threshold above 4 V Vgs)
  • The connection I made was big pin as source; house as collector via 15 ohm to + 25V; small pin as base connected to a potmeter 25K connected to plus minus 12V, over a 4k resistor to the small pin.
    Whatever the position of the slider, Only a voltage of about (between -1 V to plus 1V is left). The small pin sinks all input current.
  • That is, with or without Power Supply +25V connected
  • No current through the 'collector' pin.
  • With my real Tokins I can set the gate pin to -10 or -15V, VGS, without gate current. Then I can bring up the 25V power line, and turn the slider untill it conducts. With real mosfets, they start to conduct above 3,5 volt or so in this setting.

Might it be a relabelled thyristor marked as TOKIN THF? Do they think we are dumb? :vampire3:.
we are, in buying these.

• Am I right that the connections of the THF are like the 2SK182?

Attachments

• IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 421
Not two broken at the same time . . with the same "behaviour"

I did the test that is written by Sony for the VFET amplifier replacement procedure:
  • Norm: Rds and Rsd should for the 2SK60 be around 1-3 ohm ohm.
  • I measure Rds/Rsd one 0,35 the other 0,46 ohm on my old 2SK182.
  • My 2SK180 gives 1,53 ohms reading both ways.
  • -->the THF give none resistance. Infinity. Both.
  • Norm: Rgs and Rgd upwards ords of 30 kohm in 2SK60
  • I measure Rgs/Rgd at 10K in 2SK180, similar 2SK182
  • -->the THF gives 560 ohms resistance. Both.

So. Both these "THF51" give . . . no low Rds/Rsd resistance at 200 ohm range , but using the junction voltage test I get a result. :confused:
And no current flows with 25V over the unit and the 'gate' connected to a variable input +/- 12 V; whatever I choose.

It is not that the pins have been the victim of some babeltalk. It just makes no sense.

Attachments

• test THF-51S-0328.pdf
    42.2 KB · Views: 95
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Problem is that those THF-51, pulled from the decommissioned equipment, were subjected to electroplating “beauty treatment”, During procedure, as all pins were exposed to electroplating voltage, semiconductor is simply burned.

I received two similar last year and they were burned, each one in a different way.

Problem is that those THF-51, pulled from the decommissioned equipment, were subjected to electroplating “beauty treatment”, During procedure, as all pins were exposed to electroplating voltage, semiconductor is simply burned.

I received two similar last year and they were burned, each one in a different way.
What happened, how did the seller respond?

Burned . . . :mischiev: That makes 'while they last' a real problem.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Yes, they did. It helped that picture of advertised THF-51 was of original part and I received freshly electroplated parts with different lettering.

However, on parts you received, there is a new method. Original designation letters were preserved during electroplating. Original dull silver-gray surface is there. So, this was an original THF-51S. Clumsy electroplating procedure killed the chip.