Hockey Puck SIT 2SK180 by Tokin source NOS

Many thanks Papa... will dig and wait, as said no hurry anyway.

Probably need as amp the equivalent of a nimble lightweight sport car with a big torquey engine - quite an unusual special nowadays :)

Will though keep an eye on what you will develop next here with these big tins, always fascinating eventhough not for me

Have lots of fun with Xperiments

Claude

I think, that Nelson's advice is superb (as expected). In your situation F4 would be perfect.

You put yourself in somewhat difficult situation by fixing 2 of 3 pieces of your chain.

If you for example give up on B1 Korg, you could build BA3 pre, or high gain DHT pre (or whatever better suited) and pair it with parallel mono F4's. the lower your impedance, the more power you'll get (it's 100 WPC in 2 ohm) and it will drive difficult loads very well.

But I know, that it's not easy to abandon your latest child. I was in similar situation myself. When after building F6 I build Ale's 01A pre and while both of those are superb on their own, they were not good match together (too much gain).

I'm glad, that I switched F6 for F4, because now I have a perfect match. And for now abandoned F6 will find new home in secondary system.

Also another advantage is, that you will have another projects to work on;)

Got your point... but I love my Infinitys and my B1 Korg (and if not using it would like an amp that allows straight dac connection), and I do have already a musical amp so basicaly I have no real need to address. One day, I would just like to improve the weakest link which is the amp... while having another project to bolt on as you said.

Of course Nelson's advice is good, but then there are amps that can improve mine while also being superb and fit the existing chain and latest toys... XA-25 being one. I need that gain, although indeed the F4 concept is very attracting.

Thanks for your thoughts and help. TBH the main point here was to find out if I should jump blindly on the Tokin transistors, but in my case they are at the moment probably not appropriate so I got my answer.

Claude

Say..that power amp of my dreams needs to drive my pair of Infinity Renaissance 90. These are 87dB/W/m, can get down to 2.6 Ohm..

@ ClaudeG

For me best audio upgrade was choice of 8 Ohm wide " full" range drivers with + 95dB/W/m sensibility
for example Supravox - Fabricant d'enceintes & de haut-parleurs haut de gamme have interesting DIY build kit's
with this or similar You can play music without crossovers and power of ~ 20 watt's amplifier is plenty even for large room.
:) Kind regards

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Naive Frenchy ............

:rofl:

ZM is having and cherishing pair of red ones ....... not my pics

(I know that these are not Supravox ..... :rofl: , just happens that I have pics with Supravox)

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 468
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 437
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 435
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 422
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Naive why ? Too good yes..
Oh the old red Cabasse can play with Papa Vfet amp but You need find a pair in good shape.
Sometimes contemporary FR drivers is a better choice than vintage
..sometimes not ;)

"naive"

as I said , I have bespoke pair of these Cabasse , originating from Dinghy

and I have some other FR and ER , both old and new

now , being tempted to try Sonido 25cm Field Coils

@ WBS
And go bi-amplified with active crossovers.
Single-ended Vfet amp for medium and high's and 2SK180 push-pull " Hulk SIT " for the woofer
PROFESSIONAL — TAD LABORATORIES

Active crossovers are meh, great for steep slopes but when a large 3” compression driver can handle 500hz, a first order at 1200Hz with some old GE tin cans sounds very nice. Most of the Klipsch guys would agree. Then you can save your moneys for hoarding SIT devices, or sharing.

Attachments

• 121A1C4C-5D7B-4ACF-98CE-66DEF4C6D903.JPG
    121A1C4C-5D7B-4ACF-98CE-66DEF4C6D903.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 776
  • B4323154-81AC-4C5F-AAFB-03303FB7A312.JPG
    B4323154-81AC-4C5F-AAFB-03303FB7A312.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 764