Hockey Puck SIT 2SK180 by Tokin source NOS

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hmm! I'm feeling a bit inspired by ZM's recent thread and thought to source some parts. Anyone know a eputable source of 2sk180's? I actually have some 182's in storage that I might use instead, but it made sense to do some checking first around the 180's.

Cheers for any advice!
A.

I take the liberty to post again my future build which is also my present amp with Tokin 180(whithout the "optional" features) and a couple of //50R resistors, instead of the planned R in series.

This amp has putative Low Thermal Memory Distortion (LTMD) input section, though the present one has only one JFET inside the compound CFP, not as shown in the diagram. I think it is better to go for +/-24V supplies for this input section and check for desired gain and absence of clipping.

A high power Powerreg (by Teddy Pardo) is depicted, in case you want to save on capacitance $$$.

Anyway, it is hard for me to listen to non-LTMD amps now... :(

Cheers,
M.

Attachments

• diffamp CFP comp DOUBLE cascodo TOKIN SK180 (1).jpg
    diffamp CFP comp DOUBLE cascodo TOKIN SK180 (1).jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 675
My dear Papa,

Say I am in no hurry or real need at all, but I would love « one day » a power amp of very high sonic quality to complement your excellent B1 Korg pre.

Say
that power amp of my dreams needs to drive my pair of Infinity Renaissance 90. These are 87dB/W/m, can get down to 2.6 Ohm, have a closed cabinet (non bass reflex) for the bass driver that sounds fabulous (and gets down to real 25Hz) but uses a trick in form of a Watkins circuit around a 2 Ohm/4 Ohm dual voice coil woofer that requires some current. It is difficult to quantify what power I really need, but due to my moderate listening levels probably 50W under 2.6R on peaks and less than 4W under 4R on average fill the bill, but then you may want some margin although I already accounted for some. I guess damping factor doesn’t need to follow today’s hype, but some is probably needed due to the low bass impedance.

Given you convinced me already to have an active preamp with lot of gain and caps in the signal path where I fought all these for 3 decades, I would say I am open minded to any Class (A, A/B, even D and/or whatever you may invent in the future !), ready for DIY, and I will likely follow your advice whatever LOL !

I realise that your excellent Pass XA25 would be a possible winner, but it is out of reach sadly… and not DIY. That is unless you plan to do something similar for us one day ?

Now to the question: Do you plan something new that could match my needs ? If so, would you recommend that I purchase some of these Tokin transistors…and if so : which ones, how many of them, paired or not ?

Or are they more for nice designs that would however not really suit my needs ?

Just asking because I am likely to fall in love (again) with your designs, so better safe than sorry !

Many many thanks again for all what you share and also for your precious time reading my particular post

Enjoy music and life very much

Claude

Many thanks for your kind reply Papa!

Any suggestion or project is of course welcome... well, my LS are supposed to be 4R speakers, but as most they are usualy around the 3R mark when it gets critical... guess I wouldn't be the only one interested in such a project?

Again many many thanks for your kindness and time to reply to my questions

Claude
PS: the B1 Korg has indeed a lot of gain but sounds probably best up to a couple of Volts output or so

Last edited: