Sony vFET Illustrated build guide

post#3

It is extremely important to understand that the case of the TO-3 Vfets is conductive, and the only connection of source to the circuit. Therefore the cases must be attached properly, and the proper washers used. Bolt from the top, small washer, lock washer, nut. Make sure everything is secure and well-aligned, then solder the pins.

First time i thought about it in detail :D. The case of V-fet will most probably have connection to case/safety ground via the screw. So why do we use a mica washer?
Mhm, i must be wrong, but in my thinking connection to ground is given even with washer because of the screw and all metal housing of V-fet.

tnx,
stefan

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The case of V-fet will most probably have connection to case/safety ground via the screw. So why do we use a mica washer?
... but in my thinking connection to ground is given even with washer because of the screw and all metal housing of V-fet.

The pinout of the Vfets is here -

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Mica is used as we don't want to have the Drain connected to chassis ground.

:D :D :D

thank you :), I do have my "variable" FW-Fn chassis with bigger heatsinks. But since this one has other rail-V and therefore other PSU it´ll get it´s own new case.
Also i´m shure there is some more 24V FW-Fn entertainment to come :) so that ol´ big case is not in retirement.
best
stefan

Attachments

• BB9B1B0E-0E04-4A5F-83D0-DE18DFD63E18.JPG
    BB9B1B0E-0E04-4A5F-83D0-DE18DFD63E18.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,318
  • 8ECEC31D-9CEC-4449-9231-2EEE25E0145B.JPG
    8ECEC31D-9CEC-4449-9231-2EEE25E0145B.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,332