Sony vFET Illustrated build guide

Initial tests of both channels. Lamp limiter inline.

Rail voltages look better :D

Other voltages are out but I assume this is because the mosfets are switched on?

Should I be overly concerned that the rail voltages are around +/- 2.5v above expected?

Also, G-T18 is quite out of spec

Good to go ahead with biasing the front end do you think?

Sorry my pics are huge.

TO0u

WpmC

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK. For G-T16, try adjusting T1 to see if you can get it above say 10V.

G-T18 is high because your mosfet bias currents are different. I think you can start the
bias procedure. I'm guessing your P3 and P4 pots are at midpoint and with
the R34/R35 change the mosfets are now really pulling some current.

Please start by adjusting P3 and P4 to try equalize the T6-T7(ie, across R5)
and T8-T9 (across R6) voltages and monitor G-T18. This offset should drop
as you start getting those two voltages to match closely. The target is
1.5V across both when they warmed up with G-T18 low (say below 200mV)

Please do this with one channel powered at a time.

Also, no worry about the rails at about +/-30V. That will drop a bit with
the output current draw.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Ok thanks Dennis and ZenMod, that's reassuring!

I started out adjusting P3 to get offset close to 0v and went from there.

I stabilised my voltages around 1.2v with offset very close to 0v and the voltages from t16 and 17 to G bang on. I need to walk away for now so have powered down but will come back.

So I need 1.5v across r5 and r6?

Seems very encouraging so far.

Last edited:
and now i have twins :cool: any my brother has his own vfet baby.

second time biasing was easier, best tip was to first bring t6/t7 and t8/t9 up to 1.4v with p3/p4, offest t18 around +-100mv and warm it up, wait 10min.

readjust p3/p4 for offset t18 around +-100mv then bring r32 up to 80mv with p1/p2, output offset +-50mv. wait 15 min.

now adjusting all 4 pots p1/p2 - p3/4 in cycle up to 1.45v at t6/t7 and t8/t9 and r32 to 90mv (check first t18), againg offset around t18 +-75mv and output offset +-50mv. baby steps needed or it run away fast (even more with one turn pots). let it heat up then for at last 30 min.

after this time r32 was a little bit under 100mv. go for 1.5v at t6/t7 and t8/9 and r32 to 100mv, check offest's. readjust again in cycle all 4 pots for the target bias and offsets. now with baby baby steps :). wait after every adjustment some seconds, you get the feeling when the circuit get into a stable state. dont touch the small heatsinks, the offest over t18 acts at once. i done the final fine adjustment via p1/p2.

at the end i had a bias of 101 mv, offest t18 floating around +-50mv at t18 (1.51v) and output offsets +- 20mv.

remember everything up to +-200 mv over t18 is ok and +-50mv output offset is ok, +-50mv over t18 and +-20mv output offset is perfect for me. the amp needs 1 hour to get stable. floating around a bit is normal.

this way was a lot easier then put t6/t7 and t8/t9 direct to 1.5v, hope that helps.

don't rush :).

I found this in the other thread, does it seem like a good idea to work with 1.4v initially, then install VFets then calibrate further from there?

Also, (being paranoid about killing the VFets here) when I install them and power up with a lamp limiter in-line, should I kill the power after 5 seconds or so? And should I install a lower, fast blow fuse with this, as the lamp limiter is limiting current? Should I initially be measuring for less than 100mv across r32?

Any tips here gratefully received!