B1 Rev. 2

Joined 2000
Paid Member
This cool schematic can be found in the middle of two threads.
I though it should be easily found. :)

Attachments

• B1 r2.gif
    B1 r2.gif
    81 KB · Views: 8,211
Reactions: 1 user

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Not sure if the BA3 would be a reasonable comparison, as the B1 variants are buffers and the BA3 has gain.

That said, I'd expect the B1 Rev2 to sound better than Rev 1, but I haven't yet heard it, I just like complimentary pairs better...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I can write something , when time permits

I can even make build guide , after that

regarding B1 vs. B1 v.2 ....... there is no fair comparison , just because Pa needed to include series output resistors in both of them , as idiotproof part

both will work better without it , when heavier load is in question

while difference in sound , when load isn't critical (v.2 having half Rout of v.1) is certainly matter of taste

I can write something , when time permits

I can even make build guide , after that

regarding B1 vs. B1 v.2 ....... there is no fair comparison , just because Pa needed to include series output resistors in both of them , as idiotproof part

both will work better without it , when heavier load is in question

while difference in sound , when load isn't critical (v.2 having half Rout of v.1) is certainly matter of taste

Can competent DIYers remove to improve the sound? Which resistors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I have built both the R1 and R2. I much prefer the R2 version. I use the R2 version for my FW builds not needing any gain from a pre with my horns. An easy perfboard build. I will add the voltage recommendation of Papa as being a 24V switcher which I am using without noise. If you are a follower of the philosophy of less is better than this in theory should leave less of a sonic signature than say the BA-3 pre. I also have the BA-3 pre and I can enjoy it's sound as well. Right now I lean more to the LSK pre for a pre with gain but it is probably more of it being a newer build. Builders have a tendency to favor a new child, at first anyway.

Last edited: