B1 Rev. 2

Would it make sense to use 2SK330/2SJ105 for this version of the B1?

If you already have those in your stash of parts, then yes.

It will in some ways depend on what you intend to drive.

I prefer something that is as universal as possible ie can drive both difficult and easy loads.
So for me at 12Vds, I'll be looking to parts with Idss levels of 16mA to 20mA (operating current figure will drop once you add source resistance), so I'll personally want the the to92 k270/j74 device with higher power rating.

You probably don't need what I want, and if you did you could consider paralleling parts (assuming you have an abundance of those laying around)

Last edited:
I dont know why i got an idea to add 50ohm trimpot on my dcb1 xo output buffer (copying B1 rev2 for P102), where I'm using 2SK170 source follower :( maybe i just read somewhere that upper jfet can be selected from higher Idss to get null dc offset. Currently i use 9.7mA for upper jfet and 9.5mA on lower one.

it's not powered yet, maybe less than 40% completed. I will test first 12dB filter than add second 12dB if required, at least the layout has spare space.

is this workable? or should i take out the trimpot?

Attachments

• IMG_20170107_150504_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170107_150504_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,473
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I dont know why i got an idea to add 50ohm trimpot on my dcb1 xo output buffer (copying B1 rev2 for P102), where I'm using 2SK170 source follower :( maybe i just read somewhere that upper jfet can be selected from higher Idss to get null dc offset. Currently i use 9.7mA for upper jfet and 9.5mA on lower one.

it's not powered yet, maybe less than 40% completed. I will test first 12dB filter than add second 12dB if required, at least the layout has spare space.

is this workable? or should i take out the trimpot?

exact schematic of buffer ,please

Isn't this an active crossover?
If yes best to start a new thread

exact schematic of buffer ,please

I'm using one of posted schematic in B1 active xo thread (which seems get less interest) as my basic reference, but I try to incorporate with B4 feature (dip 8 switch for cut off freq and output attenuator, 6/12dB and bypass jumper).

my output buffer is exactly as attached file, with additional 50ohm trimpot before 330R output resistor

using B1 rev2 for my buffer based on original B4 will be quite expensive, so i'm trying to be creative

Attachments

• LR2.pdf
    10.2 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:
Thanks ZM for the schematic, already saved it.

but wait, I'm a dumb man related to parts function (never enjoyed my EE class). There is no 1M resistor to output ground, same as attached file for another dcb1 xo schematic. So what is the benefit of removing the 1M resistor? Also if i remember correctly, 2SK170 will have around 50R resistance, so if output R is removed, what is the benefit of lowering output resistance?

Attachments

• DCB1XO-LR4.pdf
    47.8 KB · Views: 404
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks ZM for the schematic, already saved it.

but wait, I'm a dumb man related to parts function (never enjoyed my EE class). There is no 1M resistor to output ground, same as attached file for another dcb1 xo schematic. So what is the benefit of removing the 1M resistor? Also if i remember correctly, 2SK170 will have around 50R resistance, so if output R is removed, what is the benefit of lowering output resistance?

what I sketched is , say , strict schematic for output buffer section , where each mV of output offset is important ; in any other position in your xover schematic , you don't need that trimpot , because dc offset is anyway blocked with capacitors

1M on output - it's not mandatory , but you can put it if you want

I'll not repeat myself about "importance" of series output resistor - that's idiotproof part , not having much with cable capacitance issues, as some ppl are involving ..... in fact , I wouldn't use it in that case , especially

also - output current is , anyway , limited by nature of part itself , so no current limiting safety issues