Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

AlephJ Mimi! (Mini)
AlephJ Mimi! (Mini)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2017, 10:19 PM   #201
MagicBus is offline MagicBus  Greece
diyAudio Member

Bravo Jesper! You've been very productive building a whole new system this winter I'm syriously considering building alephJ mimi! It will be some time later but it's good to organize it. So, this is the final schematic I suppose. And I see you used Juma's psu. What is the transformers VA? Also why did you chose +/- 16V from initial +/- 24V?
Old 5th March 2017, 08:23 AM   #202
lykkedk is offline lykkedk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBus View Post
Bravo Jesper! You've been very productive building a whole new system this winter I'm syriously considering building alephJ mimi! It will be some time later but it's good to organize it. So, this is the final schematic I suppose. And I see you used Juma's psu. What is the transformers VA? Also why did you chose +/- 16V from initial +/- 24V?
Hi.

The schematic is final... I have shorted (omitted) the C1 capacitor, which is only used for balanced operations. -Some other values is changed a bit, mostly to use what i allready got in drawer.
I asked didiet78 to make the changes on his schematic and pcblayout; but due he is busy at work he didn't find the time to it yet... This is hobby right

The PSU i have designed with Duncans psu designer. The PSU is dual mono (2 x torids, 4 x rectivers, 4 x 33000uF, etc...) Unfortunately my schematic and pcblayout have gone due to some computer crash ; but it's just dual aka' Pass psu, nothing special.

I use two 120VA 15-0 15-0 torids, giving ~+19vdc 0 -19vdc rails, feeding the AlephJ_Mimi's.

If it was not because i allready got one of the torids, i would have chosen two 200VA types, but the ones i use, do the job fine... no problems.

The original minialeph, which has been around for many years, use also 15v torids, so we (ZM and others) did the calculations for that voltage. I think lower voltage is needed also for bringing the dissipation down, giving space for higher bias!

The chassis i use, goes around 50C or so, after many hours yesterday... so that is good i suppose.

Good luck.

Schematic changes :
R27' (Potentiometer) = 100K ohm (Was 50K)
R27 = 10K ohm (Was 47K)
R6 = 825 ohm (Was 800 ohm)
R12 = 221 ohm (Was 220 ohm)
R26 = 3,32K (Was 3,3K)

As i wrote earlier... sound is amazing, and setup is deadquiet...

Jesper.
Attached Images
File Type: png AlephJ_Mimi_ sch.png (43.7 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg PSU_UA.jpg (244.5 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg PSU1.jpg (191.8 KB, 198 views)
Old 5th March 2017, 09:12 AM   #203
diyAudio Member

Nice! Also, because this is my first dive in Pass Labs I can't find info about Q5 and Q8. Perhaps they are mentioned somewhere in this thread and I missed it...
Old 5th March 2017, 09:15 AM   #204
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Nice! Also, because this is my first dive in Pass Labs I can't find info about Q5 and Q8. Perhaps they are mentioned somewhere in this thread and I missed it...
Oh great ... Thoose are IRFP240 mosfet's... preferable matched pairs i think (mine are btw)

Jesper.
Old 5th March 2017, 09:18 AM   #205
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jesper! Coming soon... or later, but it will be for sure!
Old 5th March 2017, 09:27 AM   #206
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks Jesper! Coming soon... or later, but it will be for sure!
Those pcb's are for 2sj109, which you cannot get nowhere... I think Didiet78 have pcb layouts for 2sj74 too... Lets hope he is showing up again here soon?

It is what i used... I was in luck, having some 2sj109 in drawer, which was old but working.

Jesper.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mini Aleph J J109 bot mirrored.pdf (15.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf Mini Aleph J J109 comp.pdf (20.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 5th March 2017, 09:35 AM   #207
diyAudio Member

Good to know! It seems we have to wait for Didiet78 - no rush at all - and then gather updated schems and PCB in one post.
Old 5th March 2017, 09:45 AM   #208
diyAudio Member

As soon as i got the material, i will update post #1, to contain all information needed...

Jesper.
Old 10th April 2017, 01:53 PM   #209
diyAudio Member

Hi again!
I hope Jesper enjoys his amp! I really would like to give it a try too. But I need to ask about some possible modifications.
My speakers require a couple of watts in average but they can benefit from large headroom. From the little I know and read about transistors, the max output power is related to the psu voltage rails. So I'm thinking to move from +/- 16V back to +/-24V. But this means increaced power dissipation. I could bias for lower idle current or could I? Would this affect performance/sound quality? Is there a safe minimum? OTOH, if the hotter the bias, the better the sound then is good to know and take my decisions about heatsinks...And a last question; How does bias affect the gain of this amp?

Thanks and please excuse me for this short hijacking.
Old 10th April 2017, 02:21 PM   #210
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi again!
I hope Jesper enjoys his amp! I really would like to give it a try too. But I need to ask about some possible modifications.
My speakers require a couple of watts in average but they can benefit from large headroom. From the little I know and read about transistors, the max output power is related to the psu voltage rails. So I'm thinking to move from +/- 16V back to +/-24V. But this means increaced power dissipation. I could bias for lower idle current or could I? Would this affect performance/sound quality? Is there a safe minimum? OTOH, if the hotter the bias, the better the sound then is good to know and take my decisions about heatsinks...And a last question; How does bias affect the gain of this amp?

Thanks and please excuse me for this short hijacking.
Hi Magic... you don't steal anything i guess ...

A few post before this, i wrote the changes i did to the values! .. I think Didiet78 is a busy man at present; i asked him, if he could send me a new schematic and maybee a layout for 2SJ74's (The actual layout is for 2SJ109)
But hey this is DIY, and Didiet78 allready did an excellent job here

Regarding the technical specs. I think it is no problem regarding sound quality, but about raising the rails to 24v could be some parts have to change?

We hope an X fingers that ZM would look at this!

I am for sure satisfied with my amp. as is now!

Jesper.

AlephJ Mimi! (Mini)Hide this!Advertise here!