AlephJ Mimi! (Mini)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A little more progress

Well... doing very slow, duo to some challenges on my chassis design :)

I will try this "sandwich-cool" solution, donno if it's good or bad, but will try.

Jesper.

Attachments

• Big_picture_sandwich_cool.PNG
    Big_picture_sandwich_cool.PNG
    714.3 KB · Views: 296
  • Sandwichcool3.jpg
    Sandwichcool3.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 280
  • Sandwichcool2.jpg
    Sandwichcool2.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 286
  • Sandwichcool1.jpg
    Sandwichcool1.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 281
Evening :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLPQ9vVKq3k

Thought i would share my testing with those bias-meter's i got...

When power is applied to Amp., then there is a short voltagepeak, giving the meters a "chock" so needle inside meters, goes banging at mechanical stop :eek:

So i tried capacitor across terminals, but eventhrough this makes sense, it was having no effect (i even tried 100uF)... This is a mysteri for me, but maybee the induction/whatever from the meter/amp. makes the capacitor loose here ?

Well, i tried series resistor instead, and found 330ohm to be a little to much, 150ohm to little (Needle bangs a little with this resistance)... 221ohm is just right... Needle has to be a little adjusted for giving the right value, but this can also be seen on the video...

Just the adventure for this day :D

Jesper.

Real slow diy

Hi here...

This is, as heading veeery slow diy... sry... :)

Today, i have been testing for longterm stability (~3hours)... Bias is now 0.55V (1.3A) - Heatsink and torrids around 45C. or so.

DC-offset is stable at +/- 3mV both channels... Bias is rocksteady... no change here, except at moment when DC-offset is callibrated/set, there bias is changing a bit ofcause.

Biasmeters adjusted to show ~0.525vdc, so it's perfect.

I have wrote to Didiet78, asking him if he would update the schematic and pcb, just in case others here would like to build it?

anyway... build is still ongoing :)

Jesper.

Attachments

• Mimi_bias_0.53.jpg
    Mimi_bias_0.53.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Mimi_in_the_Dark.jpg
    Mimi_in_the_Dark.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 176
Weekend of listning now i think!

Hi all.

This weekend will be in the name of class-A music i think... finally finished my chassis... been a long stroggle, not perfect, but many years of doing this diyaudio have learned me, not to be 100% perfect allway's...

Chassis is handmade, with limited tool's, but good enough, and perfect to around 100Watt of dissipation or so.

I am really looking forward to see how it plays with Salas's perfect preamp :)

This setup will be capacitor-less also; never had such pre+power without cap's in signalpath!... maybe i can hear, maybee not? - Full dual mono both amp's, so expection very good channelseperation... let's see how it goes? :p

More to come... and have yourself a nice evening all.

Jesper.

Attachments

• Mimi_Finished1.jpg
    Mimi_Finished1.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 220
Warning both serious and offtopic

Hi all...

I attached here a lot of pictures, including some offtopic ones, showing my/our homeautomation system.

So poor naigbours here :D ... been playing all morning; kids not here, so peace in house for now (well not so problematic as they are 19 and 16 years)...

Playing both redbook's flac's from my NAS, also trying some hi-rez one's...
The IQaudio pihat does it well (New DAC to come next winther, but that's another story)

Here some hi-rez one's playing :
tc@PlayBox2:~$ cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 192000 (192000/1)
period_size: 3840
buffer_size: 15360

Some other hi-rez :
tc@PlayBox2:~$ cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 96000 (96000/1)
period_size: 1920
buffer_size: 7680

First impression, is the quiet - absolutely quiet setup except from a very slight buzzing torid (not much, but could be heard with ear on top of the alephJ_Mimi!... nevermind that.

While listning to my favorites, this AlephJ compared to my LM4780... Easy to hear better channel seperation, and what i did not expect was a more "highish" soft-through topend. --- This is most impressive to listning to; it's like the topend is filling more to the music now! -did not expect that.

Bass is close to the gainclone, maybe it's a bit better? -More time is needed for me to conclude.

Woow playing Alicia's Keys NewYork, gives the thrill :eek:

I really like this setup, i think it's going to sit here for long.

The AlephJ is very easy for salas's pre. to drive it seem's, volume don't go much more than halfway up (Source is 2vrms)... Also old recording's like Sade and like, play's very loud when demanded.. so i think the impedances and gain are matching very well!

Now for offtopic ;) :

This is my Pi-home automation system, as can be seen, the quality is good enough, and very stable too :) (Uptime!) :
pi@HomeBox ~ $ uptime && uname -a
11:40:54 up 181 days, 1:28, 1 user, load average: 0.13, 0.20, 0.15
Linux HomeBox 4.1.10+ #821 PREEMPT Sat Oct 10 00:12:23 BST 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

This system, was actually very fun to do... also i think it's an easy way of controlling the switch on/off hifi, the right way easy for everybody here (foolproof)

Jesper.

Attachments

• Picontrol2.jpg
    Picontrol2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Picontrol1.jpg
    Picontrol1.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Domoticz.png
    Domoticz.png
    776.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Up3.jpg
    Up3.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Up2.jpg
    Up2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Up1.jpg
    Up1.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 180
  • AlephJ_Mimi_ sch.png
    AlephJ_Mimi_ sch.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 134
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.