Speakers Worthy of Pass Amps?

I've been using the Zu Audio Soul Supremes with the First Watt F3 (not your original question, but reasonably close reference point). I'm still in search of a low gain/passive preamp with a stereo remote control. Even with the First Watt B-1 pre, these speakers are REALLY loud at a 9 o'clock setting on the volume controls. This is about the same as an active pre that I was using - so I guess I don't understand the concept of a passive preamp! I figured less gain would mean that my volume knobs would be at about a 12 o'clock setting or higher. I feel like I'm throttling the signal (2.0V out of my EAD DAC) with the preamp. The posted sensitivity of the Soul Supremes is 101 dB/W-m, nominal impedance of 16 ohms - but a recent review in Stereophile would indicate that it's not quite that high. Regardless, the 15 wpc from the F-3 is waaaaaaay more power than is needed to get to very loud levels.

I really like the sound of Zu products. If you're a fan of classical music they might not be the way to go, but if you like louder rock/Americana/female vocalist music (what I listen to) they're fantastic.

After unintentionally hijacking the Sony VFET Part 2 thread asking for opinions
on speakers that excel with Papa's amps, I've decided to ask my questions in a new thread.

What speaker design do you find most satisfying and/or revealing for our beloved 25 watt Pass amps?

Is your amp SE or PP or do you have both?

Do you prefer a 3 way, 2 way, passive, biamped, or full range?

OB or box?

Ancient technology or new high tech drivers?

I'm especially interested in hearing impressions from those who have experienced
different combinations of the above to see if there are common threads that arise.

Open baffle with full range driver and dual 15" drivers to accurately reproduce the full dynamic punch of bass notes (don't get confused with frequency response).
Anything over 90dB sensitivity, but mine are close to 100dB/2.8V.

I've been using the Zu Audio Soul Supremes with the First Watt F3 (not your original question, but reasonably close reference point). I'm still in search of a low gain/passive preamp with a stereo remote control. Even with the First Watt B-1 pre, these speakers are REALLY loud at a 9 o'clock setting on the volume controls..

If you're in the mood to build a new amp, try a single ended source follower power buffer. Close to the same topology you already have but unity gain.

Not if I could find a pair of used Tannoys like his set up in the upside down Imperial cabs! Just a leeetle out of my budget. But I keep looking on CList hoping for a miracle to present itself before someone else scoops it up! :D

Finding that Surprising.
Try Looking in Vancouver Or Toronto CL ?? There is also Canuck Audio mart (which can be pricey though. But well worth perusing
Tannoys semi regularly appear as Tannoy maintained a presence in Canada, not in Usa.
Some are Stoopid priced, while others at 1000/1500$ pair. dramatic variances
Best pricings are usually from Original owners.. (Not profiteers) and happily condition is comensurate.

Imperial cabs are an Odd choice indeed IMO.
Tweeter axis works Best when at the listeners' ear level
Happy Hunting

Last edited:
After unintentionally hijacking the Sony VFET Part 2 thread asking for opinions
on speakers that excel with Papa's amps, I've decided to ask my questions in a new thread.

What speaker design do you find most satisfying and/or revealing for our beloved 25 watt Pass amps?

Is your amp SE or PP or do you have both?

Do you prefer a 3 way, 2 way, passive, biamped, or full range?

OB or box?

Ancient technology or new high tech drivers?

I'm especially interested in hearing impressions from those who have experienced
different combinations of the above to see if there are common threads that arise.
My first combination was with proac 88db speaker. It was very very detailed and get me tired. Then i built Troels's one 3ways 91db desing, it was okey for me but wasnt best. Later some f6 mods ( big cap, discrete bridge rectifier, z-foil resistors) i can live with this speakers. And i have to say, aikido valve preamp helps for this result.

I just got an Aleph J up and running and have a set of Pispeakers model 3 that I built a couple of years ago. Can easily be DIY and I built them with a strong, well braced cabinet and upgraded drivers and crossover. 95db/w rating, easy 8 ohm load and will play plenty loud with 25watts. The dynamics and lack of distortion you get when using good quality pro audio drivers was a real eye, or should that be ear, opener for me.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I've been using the Zu Audio Soul Supremes with the First Watt F3 (not your original question, but reasonably close reference point). I'm still in search of a low gain/passive preamp with a stereo remote control. Even with the First Watt B-1 pre, these speakers are REALLY loud at a 9 o'clock setting on the volume controls. This is about the same as an active pre that I was using - so I guess I don't understand the concept of a passive preamp! I figured less gain would mean that my volume knobs would be at about a 12 o'clock setting or higher. I feel like I'm throttling the signal (2.0V out of my EAD DAC) with the preamp. The posted sensitivity of the Soul Supremes is 101 dB/W-m, nominal impedance of 16 ohms - but a recent review in Stereophile would indicate that it's not quite that high. Regardless, the 15 wpc from the F-3 is waaaaaaay more power than is needed to get to very loud levels.

I really like the sound of Zu products. If you're a fan of classical music they might not be the way to go, but if you like louder rock/Americana/female vocalist music (what I listen to) they're fantastic.

I have been a Zu devotee for many years, and have similar music tastes. I had the Essence speakers, and now have Zu Druid mkV, and an Undertone powered sub. I initially had an AudioNoteKit EL34 PP amp, but now use a DIY Aleph J, which works quite well. These speakers also sound pretty good with Amp Camp Amp in my room.

Of course working on a VFet amp, currently, thanks to Nelson's largess.

I have a small listening room, and the big boxes to use some of the high efficiency speakers won't fit in my room.

Aerocool, The F4 is a Push-Pull buffer.

The BA-1 output stage is single-ended.

The F4 is probably my favorite amp, ever. :)

And you have a V-fet? I built the BA-1, nice amp but not my favorite. I have been thinking of a F4 mainly from what you have been saying about yours. I have a number of pres I could use with an F4 to tailor the sound, both tube and SS. Nelson spoke highly of PP source follower stages in his speech at the BAF.

One question, would you consider your F4 to be neutral sounding?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It's so versatile, and essentially has no sound of it's own.

Use a flea-power SE tube amp to drive it and you have all the flavor of the tube with actual power. (and damping... :D )

Slap a gain-stage in front of it (Say, BA-3) and you have a normal power amp.

Make a tube preamp with lots of gain, (which is super easy to do) and now you have a place to actually use the gain.

Feed it bridged from a balanced preamp that can swing the requisite voltage and it's a 100WPC mono block.