Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Speakers Worthy of Pass Amps?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2016, 06:12 PM   #21
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

huh ......

I'm lazy ........

can I just quote my self ,from Sony thread ?

Old 5th December 2016, 06:21 PM   #22
WBS is offline WBS  United States
diyAudio Member

I woke up a bit embarrassed today for having hijacked that thread so I've asked my question here. Your responses are duly noted and greatly appreciated!
Old 5th December 2016, 06:26 PM   #23
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

yup

I'm often embarrassed , from same reason

Old 5th December 2016, 06:32 PM   #24
Aercool is offline Aercool  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been using the Zu Audio Soul Supremes with the First Watt F3 (not your original question, but reasonably close reference point). I'm still in search of a low gain/passive preamp with a stereo remote control. Even with the First Watt B-1 pre, these speakers are REALLY loud at a 9 o'clock setting on the volume controls. This is about the same as an active pre that I was using - so I guess I don't understand the concept of a passive preamp! I figured less gain would mean that my volume knobs would be at about a 12 o'clock setting or higher. I feel like I'm throttling the signal (2.0V out of my EAD DAC) with the preamp. The posted sensitivity of the Soul Supremes is 101 dB/W-m, nominal impedance of 16 ohms - but a recent review in Stereophile would indicate that it's not quite that high. Regardless, the 15 wpc from the F-3 is waaaaaaay more power than is needed to get to very loud levels.

I really like the sound of Zu products. If you're a fan of classical music they might not be the way to go, but if you like louder rock/Americana/female vocalist music (what I listen to) they're fantastic.
Old 5th December 2016, 06:42 PM   #25
oreo382 is offline oreo382  Canada
diyAudio Member

F6 with Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur's---2 way reflex with 7" woofer,million dollar tweeter designed by Winslow Burhoe and others.Plenty of volume,awesome bass,better than my NLA's.Listed as 86 db.F6 has lots of jam.
Old 5th December 2016, 07:14 PM   #26
2 picoDumbs is offline 2 picoDumbs  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBS View Post
After unintentionally hijacking the Sony VFET Part 2 thread asking for opinions
on speakers that excel with Papa's amps, I've decided to ask my questions in a new thread.

What speaker design do you find most satisfying and/or revealing for our beloved 25 watt Pass amps?

Is your amp SE or PP or do you have both?

Do you prefer a 3 way, 2 way, passive, biamped, or full range?

OB or box?

Ancient technology or new high tech drivers?

I'm especially interested in hearing impressions from those who have experienced
different combinations of the above to see if there are common threads that arise.
Open baffle with full range driver and dual 15" drivers to accurately reproduce the full dynamic punch of bass notes (don't get confused with frequency response).
Anything over 90dB sensitivity, but mine are close to 100dB/2.8V.
Old 5th December 2016, 07:19 PM   #27
2 picoDumbs is offline 2 picoDumbs  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aercool View Post
I've been using the Zu Audio Soul Supremes with the First Watt F3 (not your original question, but reasonably close reference point). I'm still in search of a low gain/passive preamp with a stereo remote control. Even with the First Watt B-1 pre, these speakers are REALLY loud at a 9 o'clock setting on the volume controls..
If you're in the mood to build a new amp, try a single ended source follower power buffer. Close to the same topology you already have but unity gain.
Old 5th December 2016, 07:37 PM   #28
Aercool is offline Aercool  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 picoDumbs View Post
If you're in the mood to build a new amp, try a single ended source follower power buffer. Close to the same topology you already have but unity gain.
Is that like the First Watt F4? NP calls that one a "impedance converting amplifier". Zero voltage gain, only current gain.
Old 5th December 2016, 07:45 PM   #29
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Aerocool, The F4 is a Push-Pull buffer.

The BA-1 output stage is single-ended.

The F4 is probably my favorite amp, ever.
Old 5th December 2016, 07:47 PM   #30
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBS View Post
Not if I could find a pair of used Tannoys like his set up in the upside down Imperial cabs! Just a leeetle out of my budget. But I keep looking on CList hoping for a miracle to present itself before someone else scoops it up!
Finding that Surprising.
Try Looking in Vancouver Or Toronto CL ?? There is also Canuck Audio mart (which can be pricey though. But well worth perusing
Tannoys semi regularly appear as Tannoy maintained a presence in Canada, not in Usa.
Some are Stoopid priced, while others at 1000/1500$ pair. dramatic variances
Best pricings are usually from Original owners.. (Not profiteers) and happily condition is comensurate.

Imperial cabs are an Odd choice indeed IMO.
Tweeter axis works Best when at the listeners' ear level
Happy Hunting

Last edited by Bare; 5th December 2016 at 07:49 PM.

Speakers Worthy of Pass Amps?Hide this!Advertise here!