Pass HPA-1, what do we know?

@Hikari1, will do. It was built to feed a pair of these:

attachment.php

But as I don't have the Beefcakes built yet I might compare it to the pre-amp section of my Rogue Cronus Magnum....

Cheers,
Jeff.

Attachments

• beefcake-small.jpeg
    beefcake-small.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 3,026
Nothing special -- a 20-year-old NAD CD player that I've been using for all my auditions.

In use they get fed by Roon -> Metrum Ambre -> Metrum Onyx, but I can't easily get to the cables of my main system for comparison tests.

I'm in Louth if you want to drop by for a listen....

Mark, Jam said he spent a lot of time working on the transformer, so I suspect there is some difference there. There aren't a lot of HPA-1s in Ireland, though, so I'm not sure I'll get a chance to compare.

Hmm... Srajan lives in Ireland, doesn't he? Anyone know where-abouts?

Or maybe someone on the States could build one and then do a comparison.... :)

So here's my clone of the HPA-1.

BIG CAVEAT: This is based on Jam's descriptions earlier in the thread, hints from others, and some long hours studying not-quite-good-enough photos to discern connections and resistor values. Also, I'm an amateur in the analog domain, so while I now comprehend most of this circuit at a basic level, I certainly don't understand it well enough to know whether or not I got things wrong.

I'll post the Kicad files and/or Gerbers once I find out if it works or not.

Oh, and if you see issues with the design, please tell me! While I've already started building, I've got enough hours in the casework that I can do another board if necessary. ;)

Cheers,
Jeff.

Were these ever posted Jeff? I thought I had seen them, but can't find them now...

There's a zip of them on my hard disk, which would suggest that I posted them. I thought it might be in the "Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier" thread, but I couldn't find them there, so who knows. :confused:

Anyway, here they are (possibly again).

Attachments

• DIY_HPA1_clone_Gerbers.zip
    1 MB · Views: 439
Thanks Jeff. That is a large board :)

What specs did you use when you ran yours? Given the size of these, my initial thought had been 2mm board thickness with 2 oz. copper.

Funny, you share your name with my younger brother, but he isn't in Ireland :)

Very nice work on this and on your build, BTW.