Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Pass HPA-1, what do we know?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 03:04 PM   #381
kozard is online now kozard
diyAudio Member

Based upon improvement suggestions I have updated version "C" (attached first) and made a new version "D" which moves the pass transistors to the left and right sides of the PCB. Unless anyone spots something I plan to order the PCB tomorrow. Today I will be further considering my chassis and deciding between "C" and "D".
Old Today, 05:43 PM   #382
twitchie is offline twitchie  Canada
Magic Smoke Liberator
diyAudio Member

Very nice work Kozard! With the D version, it's very clear there is physical separation between the rails. I don't know if this will produce any performance improvement but it is very nice work and applicable for projects well beyond just HPA-1!

Congratulations!
Old Today, 07:00 PM   #383
jameshillj is offline jameshillj  Australia
diyAudio Member

I would suggest you go back to basics here before sending the design off and start with using just 1 layer for layout and keep the 'ground plane" as free of tracks, connections etc as possible - the intial tracking should focus on avoiding any mixing of areas of high current and low current - do it in stages

ie move the first "ripple" capacitors (C1 & C2) together, as close together as you can manage (this is where the charging current pulses are at their maximum) and remove all that other 'stuff' on the outside of this - then add the next 2 capacitors (C3 & C4) to this common power ground, and not the top copper layer - this confines all the 'noisy' charging ground currents to the one area and not spreading them all over the whole board to be transferred to the regulator section and hence the unit outputs

If you must use the any of the ground plane/top layer for the zero volt connections, minimize the ground loops - this applies even with low current use.

Where is your 'power ground' point? Or 'floating ground lift' resistor/thermistor?
  Reply to this post

Pass HPA-1, what do we know?Hide this!Advertise here!