Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Pass XA25?
Pass XA25?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2019, 09:13 PM   #551
lhquam is offline lhquam  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
why would we want that?!
I do not want to have a low damping factor, but some people are exploring circuit variations that reduce the amount of feedback.
Old 20th January 2019, 02:37 AM   #552
lae2 is offline lae2  United States
diyAudio Member

Default XA25 Home Brew Line Cord

I am hesitant to perpetuate snake oil. I have been building power cables for decades; not so much for high fidelity, but to accommodate needs of placement. I can't say that I could identify any one power cable over another. I have tried; both home brew and commercial. Recently I came to appreciate that my Equitech conditioner is said to have lower output impedance than the wall socket. This caused me to consider that maybe a line cord could contribute to high fidelity because it would not be shackled by a 50 ft run of Romex. Thus, perhaps transients would be available to the line cord that are not available at the wall receptacle.
Because the XA25 has incredible resolution; I thought I would go all out on a longer power cable from the XA25 to the Equitech 20A at the rack. If there was ever an amplifier that might reveal a nuance born of a power cord, it would be the XA25. I have been using the line cord that shipped with the XA25. The XA25 is on a stand between the speakers I am removing the remaining electronics from the sound stage area.
Thus, I built a 15 foot line cord. There is a separate run for each of three conductors. Each run consists of silver multi-conductor instrumentation cable. Each conductor is silver shielded with 4 X 20 ga (14 gauge effective) Teflon insulated conductors and Teflon jacketed over the shield. The conductors are terminated with Furutech FI-50 NCF(R). The shields are single ended at the male plug (Equitech end). This line cord was crazy expensive to build.
I may need to readjust my thinking about power cords. The XA25, to my ears, just took another step into a darkness that was already pitch black. The dynamic range kicked up a notch. Vocal definition is up a notch. Newly appreciated sounds. If you happen to enjoy haunting music; the XA25 may scare you to death.
Old 20th January 2019, 06:08 PM   #553
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

Pass XA25?
You have perpetrated DIY.

Old 21st January 2019, 09:44 PM   #554
diyAudio Member

Furutech/Belden. Two more line cords, wall receptacle, and cover plate. They're coming for me. XA25 made me do it. I remember when I was almost sane.
Old 24th January 2019, 09:51 PM   #555
diyAudio Member

Default XA25 Warm-up Plus Signal Processing Required?

A reviewer wrote that a month or more or burning in was required for HPA-1/XA25 to settle in. But then, the reviewer wrote that they were not sure of what, or who, was breaking in - the XA25 or the reviewer.
I have noticed that after many hours of quiet warming, the XA25 appears to require an additional time of playing music before coming entirely to life. I am wondering whether this is due to the XA25 or, instead, due to an adjustment toward my open loop gain as relaxation reduces negative feedback to the ossicular chain? By way of negative feedback,the stapedius and tenser tympani muscles have been said to adjust sensitivity and filtering at the middle ear. It might be helpful to hear the saber toothed tiger step on a twig. Perhaps the reviewer was onto something by questioning what or who was breaking in?

Last edited by lae2; 24th January 2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 24th January 2019, 10:35 PM   #556
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

Pass XA25?
Old 24th January 2019, 11:38 PM   #557
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Pass XA25?
nice kiss to your loved one , glass of something fresh (not necessary alcohol) and smile , that's all you need for preparation

and start with heaviest piece you can think of

Old 25th January 2019, 12:38 AM   #558
cjfrbw is offline cjfrbw  United States
diyAudio Member

I hate it when people who don't do push ups with their stapedius and tenser tympani muscles complain about break in times.
Old 25th January 2019, 01:42 PM   #559
kbergsson is offline kbergsson  Iceland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfrbw View Post
I hate it when people who don't do push ups with their stapedius and tenser tympani muscles complain about break in times.
Old 26th January 2019, 12:25 PM   #560
diyAudio Member

I was not complaining about break in times. I was noting that biological feedback is in play. This is not conjecture. And that perhaps, the reviewer I spoke of; recognized, as I have, that both the hardware and the neuralware interact across time.

Pass XA25?Hide this!Advertise here!