What's wrong with the kiss, boy?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it's written , see on on bottom one

regarding CMOQ-4 , see attached

if you did as drawn , without getting close to 1Vin/4Vout , something is fishy with your measurements ......

Attachments

• CMOQ-4 gain 6db.jpg
    CMOQ-4 gain 6db.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 916
  • CMOQ-4 gain 12db.jpg
    CMOQ-4 gain 12db.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 894
That makes sense, especially as a utility preamp, you don't want to high of an Rout.

I should have clarified- I am thinking of using this into a hiZ input, such as the Salas 6V6 buffer to get just a little bit of a boost.

most probably adding too much to Rout

think about Rdc of windings ...... even if there isn't simple adding of Rdc in Rout figure , there still is substantial consequeance

Last edited:
I suspect it is not of quality to be on par with rest of concept

however - it's cheap enough , just try it

Could you please tell what parameters to look for selecting a transformer for voltage gain in preamp.. from the iron pre it seems to be a 600ohm:600hom.. ie. 1:1 turn ratio (can we look for a 1:2 turn ratio for gain more than 6db).. what other parameters do we need to look for

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it needs to be linear ...... not just on paper , as many of these small and cheap thingies are

connected as autoformer , 1:1 is becoming 1+1 , having 2V/V gain , which is 6db

if you take 1:2 , it is becoming 1+2 , giving 3V/V gain , which is 9.5db

there is waste number of possible xformers ....... if you take 600CT:600CT , that's practically 4 windings of 150R (nominally) ......

you can use that one as 1:1+1+1 , resulting in 1+3 , having gain of 4V/V , which is 12db

and that's where I think you need to stop with gain , because Rout of entire shebang is really going up