Pass X150

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
finally ........

tell him to bring damn thing to any neighbor or pal , having bigger value fuses in house installation

when he confirms functionality of amp itself , tell him to either change place of living :rofl: , or to change fuse(s) in that line , for bigger one (or at least try to change it to highest quality one of same size , with really guaranteed tripping threshold)

final point is - problem is not yours , meaning - you sold him good amp

pro quality house fuse of 16A (and I believe he's having either 16 or 25A there) must endure amp with 15A fuse installed in

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
o yeah , suddenly he succeeded in powering on .....

let him know that "ungrounding" some link in chain is normal (as long all is chained with interconnects) , if some link is making ground loop

in our neck of wood that thingie is called "lopov" - useful to test gadget without safety GND , simply removing safety GND tabs from it

if test is successful , making dedicated mains cable without safety GND is trivial

Attachments

• lopov-sa-2-prikljucnice16a-250v-beli.jpg
    lopov-sa-2-prikljucnice16a-250v-beli.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 274
i'm the guy who bought the amp from @ludkokanta. In my house it's impossible to have it working because every time (and i tried a dozen of times with varius cables and wall plugs) i run out of elecricity. My electrical system is 10 ten years old and good enough to work with more powerful amps such as big Krells etc.
This morning the amp was checked by a technician in his house and the electricity went out in the same way as in my house. So he cecked it with a tester and found out a current ground leakege (maybe from the toroidal?)Then he tried connecting a mains cable without the ground and a resistance (don't know technically why) and the amp turned on properly. But please don't tell i have to change fuses and other things to run an amp with electrical issues. Ground leakage is not normal and it's dangerous too!

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
change of fuses was hypothesis with facts known at that point

if you have ground leakage , then it's more likely that you have tripping ELCB

in that case , tell your tech to check C2 and C3 (for older ones) or C10 and C17 (for newer ones)

both being 33nF mains rated caps , connected between safety gnd and two mains leads

it's best just to remove them , who needs them anyway ...... :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
to recapitulate :

if ELCB is tripping each time when you attempt powering amp on , sole place which can be a problem are these two capacitors ( connected between safety GND/case and two mains leads) ; there is simply no other position or path in amplifier which can cause ELCB tripping

if ELCB is OK, but you have automatic fuse in house installation tripping , then all you need is stronger automatic fuse or one with controlled quality

easiest way to confirm latter is powering amp through Variac ( at tech's place) to avoid sudden current surge

ground loop ( hum) is different issue , and practically no issue - easily solved

to recapitulate :

if ELCB is tripping each time when you attempt powering amp on , sole place which can be a problem are these two capacitors ( connected between safety GND/case and two mains leads) ; there is simply no other position or path in amplifier which can cause ELCB tripping

if ELCB is OK, but you have automatic fuse in house installation tripping , then all you need is stronger automatic fuse or one with controlled quality

easiest way to confirm latter is powering amp through Variac ( at tech's place) to avoid sudden current surge

ground loop ( hum) is different issue , and practically no issue - easily solved
I wrote to my technician and he replied it's a common issue with these amps and he is pretty sure the problem is caused by the power transformer and it is not easy to be solved since there are no diagrams on the internet. Anyone knows the specs of the toroidal transformer, please?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
common issue with these amps , my damn buttttt!

if he is so versed , to claim something as common issue , he doesn't need neither schematic nor data for Xformer

please , clarify what is an issue here - ELCB , or line fuse ?

these two are two completelly different things , and I already wrote what to do in both cases

of course , there is always possibility of something broken , when amp was in transport , and that is normal risk .... but I still didn't got confirmation what exactly is in case

I'm trying to help , both of you , but you need to cooperate , having language troubles or not

I wrote to my technician and he replied it's a common issue with these amps and he is pretty sure the problem is caused by the power transformer and it is not easy to be solved since there are no diagrams on the internet. Anyone knows the specs of the toroidal transformer, please?

ZM alread give clear advice, get a picture of your MCB to confirm your house VA rating. when you mentioned old house fuse, i remember my hometown old house with ceramic socket fuse, it's placed after MCB and usually located at inside home. is it the one like I attached?

my family 900VA can survive 450VA transformer with huge cap bank, also tried aragon2004 without tripping the mcb or the fuse. that is already 50% of the VA rating.

with the X150 manual says "The X150 has a power transformer rated at 800 watts, continuous duty", I assume it might be 800VA.

with your claimed 15A house installation, it supposed not to trip. cmiiw

Attachments

• sekering.jpg
    sekering.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 219
The problem is not my house! The lights went out also at the technician's! He detected a ground leakage (with instruments!) in the iec plug in the back of the amp. I studied law, so i don't understand almost anything about electricity but if there is a ground leakage from the machine why are you still saying the problem is in my house (and/or in the technician's one). Who tells you the seller is saying the truth about that? Last but not least it's almost impossible the amp got damaged in the travel because it was not shipped because i drove from Italy to Croatia with my car to get the amp. If two technicians say the most likely cause is the transformer why should i don't have to trust them but the seller?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.