AKSA vs Aleph or Aleph-X

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
?

:confused:
I wish i could tell you that. I can only let you know what I like.
More current, warmer more tube like sound.
Less feedback more high frequecy response. More gain.
More voltage. Still playing around with this one. I built a mini-a like an Aleph 5 (+/-34 volts). Then changed it back to (+/- 18 volts). I am still listening to it. Not much difference at low to mid volumes.

The AKSA is a clas AB kit from.
Hugh R. Dean
Aspen Amplifiers P/L
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
www.aksaonline.com

I had a chance to listen to it at Dale's house and compare it to the first Aleph-X I built. It is a very nice sounding amp. I have not built one yet. I can't seem to get away from the Aleph 30 , AX and Mini-A s. :D

Tony D. said:
Hi Prune,

I see you are in Vancouver, I might be able to arrange for you to hear the 100 Watt AKSA and an DIY Aleph 5 if you are interested.

I'm in East Vancouver.

You can e-mail me at anthonydavid40@hotmail.com

Tony D.

Hi Tony,

Since a visit to Vancouver is a bit far for me, could you please be so kind as to post your own impressions when comparing the 100 W Aksa with the DIY Aleph 5...?

Thanks!

Lucas

The original AX with IRFP044 at 2.5A per side 15 V rails has the best low freq reproduction IMO. A few have reported better lows in general for the X circuit. ULI for example built an X clone and found the same thing.

Mike is right, the AX sound can be changed in many ways. My next step is to go to high voltage and low current with irfp240 maybe 40-0-40 and 1.5A per channel and see what that sounds like.

In any event I think one could have them both since the AX is a winter amp and the aksa is a summer one. :)

Keeping in mind that DIY Alephs' probably sound different from each other and so the example I heard (non X) may not be definative I preferred the AKSA.

I thought the AKSA was more lively, less dark and had better bass.

When matched with Hugh Deans' preamp the GK-1 the AKSA IMO makes for a sometimes magical listening experience.

I like the Aleph a lot but there is a "Rightness" to the AKSA sound that is hard to give up.

Very easy to forget all the audio stuff and enjoy the music with this gear.

Hope this helps.

Tony D.

I don't know the Aksa, but I know the normal Aleph 5. Yes, I understand what you mean. Nevertheless, the X might be different (I am building one) plus components used in the X have a great impact plus power supply etc...I will report if the Aleph X will manage to beat my tube equipment wil is so far the reference in liveness, imaging and resolution.

Tony D. said:
Keeping in mind that DIY Alephs' probably sound different from each other and so the example I heard (non X) may not be definative I preferred the AKSA.

I thought the AKSA was more lively, less dark and had better bass.

When matched with Hugh Deans' preamp the GK-1 the AKSA IMO makes for a sometimes magical listening experience.

I like the Aleph a lot but there is a "Rightness" to the AKSA sound that is hard to give up.

Very easy to forget all the audio stuff and enjoy the music with this gear.

Hope this helps.

Tony D.

Thanks Tony,

I do not have any experience with the AKSA, but I am curious to try them one day.

I do have a DIY Aleph 5 though, and I particularly like its sonority. With the AMT tweeters the result is very natural and livelike, where other commercial amps seemed often a little britty.

I did some modifications to the Aleph. I increased bias, used high quality resistors and CLC psu. I found that this further improved the soundquality significantly. Did you try such things?

Regards,

Lucas

P.S. Have you got the Nirvana update with your AKSA?

Hi Lucas,

I don't have the AKSA any longer, or anything else for that matter.

But when I did own the AKSA I did the Hugh Dean approved modifications on it and they are definately worth the time and (reasonable amount of) money involved.

I would still like someday to have a listen to an AlephX and I have a couple of friends here who own the AKSA100 so a comparison would be interesting.

I do remember quite well the first time I heard an Aleph though, it was a factory Aleph 3 and I was struck to my socks at how "right" it sounded which is what I like about the AKSA as well. It just sounds "right" so perhaps it is a case of two designers using differing techiques to arrive at a common goal of accurate musical reproduction.

Many people who really love music and it's emotion and not just Hi-Fi have "similar ears" as it is said so maybe this is the case here.

T.D.

Aleph

The Aleph is the best sounding amp I have heard. I have a variety of other amps, but there is nothing else I would rather listen to. The only drawback is the heat. :hot:
I am building another A-X , but I didn't like the first one as good as the Aleph. Maybe there is a learning curve for the builder.:bfold:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don't have much experience with the AKSA, but this is a matter
of taste. Of course I'm happy you like the Aleph (So do I) but
I don't think that takes anything away from AKSA. It's just
a matter of taste and the complementarity of the rest of the
signal chain.

Thank you Nelson,

Very decent of you, and yes, I agree these things are a matter of taste. :) There's plenty of room under the sun for a wide range of designs and products.

I have always liked your Zen, and in fact drew inspiration from it to design my hybrid Glass Harmony, which uses a SE mosfet output stage. Like the Zen, it sounds pretty good..... ;)

Cheers,

Hugh

Although I am wedded to Aleph's as a matter of taste I've heard the ASKA and its a very fine amplifier, the positive feedback on the www is testimony to that.

Its been a while but I recall a rather humble Hugh Dean tapping me on the shoulder one night when I was program co coordinator for the Melbourne Audio Club (a few years ago now) asking if he could bring his amplifiers along for the club to audition.

The were very well received and like Nelson Hugh's persistence and hard work has rewarded him well.

Ian Mackenzie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.