Developing a Regulated Dual Rail Power Supply For FirstWatt Amps

Yeah, a real PIA if over 10uF too, altho the range is getting bigger

I got curious about what's now available in the IXYS block bridges - on Mouser, they show stocks of most reasonable sized ones 12 - 25A about U$20+ (these are the FRED diode bridges, not the basic epitaxial - VBE not VBO) - the ON Semi MSR1560G, on the other hand, are less than U$2 ea

Ok here are the final transformer specs. One per channel.

Primary : 120v + 120v 50/60Hz

Secondary 1 : 0 – 19v – 25v @ 10.0A rms rated.
Secondary 2 : 0 – 19v – 25v @ 10.0A rms rated.

Total Rating : 500VA.

Int. Shielding : Capacitive Pri-Sec Screen.
Ext. Shielding : MuMetal Band Fitted.

Fixing : Resin Filled Centre + M8 Hole.

Finish : Melinex Tape x 2.

Pri Leadouts : 350mm Flexible Style.
Sec Leadouts : 250mm Flexible Style.

Finished Size : 135mm O.D x 100mm Ht approx.

Weight : 5.2Kg approx.
Calculated Temp Rise: 35 Deg C (@ max Load.)
Regulation : 3.5% approx.

Vishay Hexfreds mounted on heatsinks

Attachments

• 20180113_000835.jpg
    20180113_000835.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 372
Hi Pico, have you considered these guys? Toroidal transformers AUDIO GRADE - Shop Toroidy.pl I expect they customise but not sure.
Do you know what is the shipping cost to Melbourne? I am tempted to a couple, but was thinking 600VA min. Your idea is good in having two secondaries. They can be re-purposed if required. I need to start stripping amps in future, but they are all so special, every time I think about it hurts my brain deciding which one:)

.. I meant to add -

I was poking around Alixpress last night and came across some neat products that combined Soft Start and DC traps - included small transformers rather than the usual resistor divider/cap system - of interest?

Do they provide circuit diagram?

I'll see how the simple passive thermistor goes, but I like the idea in principle.

Last edited: