50w Single-Ended BAF2015 Schade Enabled

If you want to build a 50W-SE-Schade-Monoblock and you want to bias it up to 3.1 A, then you are asking for heat
and a lot of aluminum to transfer that heat away.
My ones are working now for the last two years without any problems. Heatsink is made of a 8mm thick aluminum plate as heatspreader,
Modushop 5U - 300mm deep and 3U - 300mm deep heatsinks. And still around 67° C outside the heatsinks where the MosFet is mounted
inside. I can't go over 3.2 A bias - then the bias runs away...
Test it - and enjoy a 'warm' sound
Cheers
Dirk
:flame::flame:

Attachments

• 50WSE-Schade- inside1.jpg
    50WSE-Schade- inside1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 114
  • 50WSE-Schade-MosFet_temperature.jpg
    50WSE-Schade-MosFet_temperature.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you want to build a 50W-SE-Schade-Monoblock and you want to bias it up to 3.1 A, then you are asking for heat
and a lot of aluminum to transfer that heat away.
My ones are working now for the last two years without any problems. Heatsink is made of a 8mm thick aluminum plate as heatspreader,
Modushop 5U - 300mm deep and 3U - 300mm deep heatsinks. And still around 67° C outside the heatsinks where the MosFet is mounted
inside. I can't go over 3.2 A bias - then the bias runs away...
Test it - and enjoy a 'warm' sound
Cheers
Dirk
:flame::flame:
Heat is an understatement. My heatsinks are about 20 inches long (front to back), about 12 inches high, and the fins are about 2.25" tall. These heatsinks that were sitting on my shelf are huge compared to anything else I've built so I took a chance. I may have gotten away with it but after my heatsinks hit 60C I chickened out and put in a couple of small fans. I put a ton of work into this including making my own PCBs so I didn't want to see it go up in smoke.

I'm easily misled so after I build Randy's Aleph 30 I might repurpose this chassis and turn it into an Aleph 2.

After all, we're amp builders?

Regards,
Dan

Joined 2012
Paid Member
It depends on what voltage and current you are running. If your power supply is 60V and your current is 3.2A, the power dissipated is 60V x 3.2A = 192W, which is dissipated mostly by the two Mosfets and a tiny bit by the resistors. So the 192W is the total dissipation for the channel, not for the current source portion.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
It depends on what voltage and current you are running. If your power supply is 60V and your current is 3.2A, the power dissipated is 60V x 3.2A = 192W, which is dissipated mostly by the two Mosfets and a tiny bit by the resistors. So the 192W is the total dissipation for the channel, not for the current source portion.
Thanks for the education. I'm smart, I'm just not as smart as ZM. ;)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
frankly, I don't need debate ........ besides not being smart enough to draw conclusions from any paper :clown:

if I'm in doubt - I ask someone who's having experience with hsinks of interest

if there is no experience, time for proper in vivo test - fire up variac, big Donut, some hefty power resistors on hsink .......

yes, I believe in Pa's cunning, but he's too much cunning for me, mere Chicken