Aleph J build and a few questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,
I am excited because I just ordered the boards and some components for the Aleph J amp. This will be my first solid state amp build and I can't wait to get it started. I still have to order more parts and the enclosure but I ordered the power supply board and I am a little confused on the power supply. So in the build thread it mentions that the power supply should be 18v+18v 300-500VA transformer. I found the AnTek AN-5218 and want to make sure it will work and to get the wiring correct.
So on the primary side I would connect the two red wires together and run them to the load side and the connect the two black wires together and run them to the ground for 115v?
So here is where I get lost. On the other side it shows wires green and blue 18v and a second set green and blue wires 18v. So on the amp you have a 18+ rail and a 18- rail. So how would I wire these up? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John

ZM I found PSU schematic and that makes sense. Not sure why I did not notice this before and how the wires are connected to the diodes and also how the primary side is connected. I should be good to go on this now.

Bones13, I have been reading thought the Aleph J build thread before I ordered the parts. I will read through it a few more times before I start. For some reason the power supply part of that did not click in the brain. Must be getting old.

Thanks for the help guys.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
These photos should help -

DSCF0099.jpg

DSCF0105.jpg

Hallo Kazoo.
I've ordered my Caps from DigiKey, Years back for use in Pass Amps- you only need
one PSU for different Amps- that's economical nice.
The Caps are United Chemicon Types 15000µF/25V in Diameter 22mm/50high;85°-
not expensive and work well on F4 and also F5.
The PSU Bord- you have one, also you can get from Jims Audio eBay Shop and other
Suff building Clones of Pass Amps.
Hope it helps?
I've yesterday ordered some missing Parts to finish finitely my Aleph J and i am also
exited to listen.

Ready to put in my last order to get all the parts I need to start building. So two more first time amp builder type questions.

#1. I have some WDT solder I usually use for making my own cables. Can I use this stuff on the circuit boards? Its 4% silver and very expensive but I wanted to make sure it was OK to use or is there something better to use. Name and part # please.

#2. On a lot of build pictures I see this cable being used from the RCA jacks to the boards. I assume its a twisted pair cable with a shield. It makes the amp look nice and neat. What is this cable and can I get it at Mouser? I have a shopping cart full of parts at Mouser so this would be a perfect time to add the parts I need.
Thanks,
John

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
#1. I have some WDT solder. Can I use this stuff on the circuit boards?

Yes, of course!

#2. On a lot of build pictures I see this cable being used from the RCA jacks to the boards. I assume its a twisted pair cable with a shield. It makes the amp look nice and neat.

Use whatever you have on hand. If you don't have anything, grab an old CAT5 cable and open it up, use one of the twisted pair out of it. It's fantastically good signal wire.

I like CAT5 as well and I am using them for speaker cables, but if one needs shielded cable, I would say Mogami, which is the most popular cable for professional studio wiring. Audiophile quality without audiofool price. Very little coloration. I used Mogami for my AJ wiring.

But honestly, I also don't think any difference between Cat 5 and Mogami.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.